Clever Snowball?

Old October 19th 04, 07:08 PM
Exocat

Default Clever Snowball?

I've long thought that cats without Asian blood weren't quite as
bright, and having compared my current pride with my RB half-Siamese
and half-Burmese boys saw nothing to change my view.

But recently Snowball the Ragdoll, whom I love dearly but not for his
intellect, reckoning him at just ninepence to the shilling (old
English phrase relating to the old English coin, a twentieth of a
pound, containing 12 pennies, so say 75% IQ).
has begun to show who's the real idiot around here.

The other day we were playing String, the game where I rush around the
house trailing it behind me and he deigns to chase and kill it, or
not, as he chooses.
I popped it through a nearly-closed door via the crack on the hinged
side, expecting him to claw at the gap whence it disappeared to drag
it back.
Not a bit of it! Quick as a flash, within a second, he was round the
door and onto it in the adjacent room.

Then last night I teased him with a crinkly little foil tray. Being
smooth, he couldn't get his claws into it to drag it to his mouth for
the killing bite. By the fourth pass across his front he'd sussed
things out enough to stretch out further so as to hook my hand and
drag it & the tray to the convenient killing ground.
Ouch!

So I'm beginning to realise that I've been doing him a disservice, and
that he's maturing into the same sort of calculating machine as his
illustrious predecessors.

I know there's a wide range of cleverness/intelligence/street smarts
among those who own the members of this Group. Have any of them done
anything lately to surprise/impress you?

Purrs

Gordon, Bandit, Pericles & Snowball

Old October 19th 04, 07:23 PM
Kreisleriana

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 19:08:16 +0100, "Exocat"
yodeled:

[...]

Awww, don't underestimate the intelligence of a cat who just generally
moves slower than the Asian party-animals! They just apply their
intelligence to conserving energy.

Theresa

Old October 19th 04, 07:57 PM
Denise VanDyke

Exocat wrote:
[...]

When she was about 6 months old, I watched as Brenna demonstrated a
working knowledge of physics (particularly leverage) to open a
(completely closed)drawer. She wrapped her paws through the drawer
pull, braced her back legs against the cupboard, and pushed. She had to
let go and get a better grip once the drawer started opening. Once it
was open, she crawled right in.

That was the most astonishing thing I've *seen* her do. She would not
have ever seen me open that drawer. It's under the breakfast bar ledge
in the dining room, and I get in there maybe once a year. (That's where
I stash my appliance warranty info and such things.

Of course, I've also watched her sit and bat the edge of a piece of
newspaper or a leaf on the ficus tree for a good 10-15 minutes just to
make it make noise. (Have I mentioned that I'm easily entertained?)

- Denise

Old October 19th 04, 09:05 PM
Dan M

I know there's a wide range of cleverness/intelligence/street smarts
among those who own the members of this Group. Have any of them done
anything lately to surprise/impress you?

Not recently, but a while ago. Back when Tabitha was still a tiny kitten
(you know, when their tails still look pointy?) I was playing with her
with a feather on a plastic wand. She was under the coffee table, and I
would dangle the feather over the side and and move it when she tried to
grab it. After just a couple minutes of her not being able to catch it
she came out from under the table, grabbed my hand with her paws, and
slid down the wand until she had the feather in her paws. I was pretty
impressed!