Roach Motel

Old November 20th 04, 01:28 AM

Default Roach Motel

Tweed wrote:

they had locked the place up so nobody could leave, kind of
like the Roach Motel.

I've no idea what the Roach Motel is, but the nightmare sure
sounds scary.

Oops, another cultural gap. The Roach Motel is a trap for cockroaches
that lures them inside, where they die of starvation. The advertising
motto was "Roaches check in, but they *can't check out*". Just trying
for a bit of levity.

Joyce
Old November 20th 04, 01:56 AM
Christina Websell

wrote in message
Tweed wrote:

they had locked the place up so nobody could leave, kind of
like the Roach Motel.

I've no idea what the Roach Motel is, but the nightmare sure
sounds scary.

Oops, another cultural gap. The Roach Motel is a trap for cockroaches
that lures them inside, where they die of starvation. The advertising
motto was "Roaches check in, but they *can't check out*"

I'm not sure that I like the idea of cockroaches dying of starvation. It
would be kinder to squash them so that they died immediately.
..
Tweed
who likes insects

Old November 20th 04, 02:25 AM
Jo Firey

wrote in message
Tweed wrote:

they had locked the place up so nobody could leave, kind of
like the Roach Motel.

I've no idea what the Roach Motel is, but the nightmare sure
sounds scary.

Oops, another cultural gap. The Roach Motel is a trap for cockroaches
that lures them inside, where they die of starvation. The advertising
motto was "Roaches check in, but they *can't check out*"

I'm not sure that I like the idea of cockroaches dying of starvation. It
would be kinder to squash them so that they died immediately.
.
Tweed
who likes insects

The idea though is that you put this box thing under your sink and they
crawl in where they are stuck and you never see them. I'm pretty sure it
uses a faster kill method than starvation. Cause I'm pretty sure a roach
can live a darn long time without food or water.

Made for clever advertising since cheap, tacky motels were already being
referred to as roach motels by the general public.

Jo

Old November 20th 04, 02:45 AM
Christina Websell

wrote in message
Tweed wrote:

they had locked the place up so nobody could leave, kind of
like the Roach Motel.

I've no idea what the Roach Motel is, but the nightmare sure
sounds scary.

Oops, another cultural gap. The Roach Motel is a trap for cockroaches
that lures them inside, where they die of starvation. The advertising
motto was "Roaches check in, but they *can't check out*"

I'm not sure that I like the idea of cockroaches dying of starvation. It
would be kinder to squash them so that they died immediately.
.
Tweed
who likes insects

The idea though is that you put this box thing under your sink and they
crawl in where they are stuck and you never see them. I'm pretty sure it
uses a faster kill method than starvation.

Hmmm. They crawl in where they are stuck and you never see them. So what
happens to them?

Cause I'm pretty sure a roach can live a darn long time without food or
water.

Maybe it can. I don't know much about cockroaches, I'm lucky, I never had
them. Because I'm a bit of a softie, I prefer not to kill insects unless I
have to. I might seek out the roaches and rescue them. Yes, I know!! Very
silly. I'm just so stupid. Like my American"friend" says. I'm a stupid
liberal.

Tweed

Old November 20th 04, 03:00 AM
Jo Firey

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

Hmmm. They crawl in where they are stuck and you never see them. So what
happens to them?

In theory at that point you put the box out with the garbage. Never
actually have used them as we live in a fortunate climate. But the TV
advertising is a bit of a cultural icon.

If you have never had the experience of turning on the kitchen light in the
middle of the night only to have a dozen of the horrid things run for dark
cover you are most lucky.

I quite like most insects if they will stick to their habitat and stay out
of mine. I like spiders too. Mom taught us that if you don't kill spiders
they will keep your house free of things like roaches. There are exceptions
depending on how big and scary the spider is and where it chooses to set up
housekeeping.

Jo

Old November 20th 04, 05:30 AM
Jeanette

Jo Firey wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

Hmmm. They crawl in where they are stuck and you never see them. So

what
happens to them?

In theory at that point you put the box out with the garbage. Never
actually have used them as we live in a fortunate climate. But the TV
advertising is a bit of a cultural icon.

If you have never had the experience of turning on the kitchen light in

the
middle of the night only to have a dozen of the horrid things run for dark
cover you are most lucky.

London is the only place I've ever lived where I've had to share my living
quarters with cockroaches. I remember that all food had to be in sealed
containers, and the cupboards had to be cleaned almost weekly. Yuck.

We were lucky, our cats loved to hunt them, and every morning we'd come into
the kitchen to find a couple of dozen big ones dead or dying on the floor. I
think the cats killed them or immobilised them by breaking their 'backs',
and I'd squish them to finish the job off. Normally I hate killing insects
too, but these buggers were very unhygienic.

Jeanette