Need help determining cause of dark debris in cat's fur

Old September 7th 03, 10:03 PM
RIA

Default Need help determining cause of dark debris in cat's fur

"Dave Humes" wrote in message ...
I was combing one of our cats a few weeks ago and noticed some dark debris
in the fur. I immediately thought fleas. We had been using Top Spot on the
cats regularly, but since they've been getting older they have been staying
close to the house and haven't had a problem lately with fleas or ticks. We
Top Spotted both cats immediately and I started combing them several times
each day with a flea comb. It has been about a month and so far, and I have
never picked up a flea, live or dead. But I continue to get this dark
debris. It's only on one cat. If we had fleas, I would think they would
both get them. The cat with the problem sleeps in our bed, and we are not
getting bitten. The debris seems to be located at the base of the hair
follicles and can be found just about anywhere you look in her coat. The
fur that comes out when I comb her has the debris mostly attached to the fur
at one end. I've placed some of the debris in water, and it does not turn
it red as it would if it were dried blood. So, I'm at a total loss as to
what this may be. The cat is in very good spirits, is not scratching, has
experienced no hair loss, and does not seem bothered by it in any way. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

--Dave

Hi Dave

I have 2 cats and 1 dog.After i put fleapowder on them i
noticed some black debrie also.i set them each on a white towel and
just messed their fur with my hands.You should have seen all the black
come of off them.I think it's the eggs from the fleas.Tthey look like
little tiny specks.I then check my dog aand the same thing happend
there too.I'm doing this now once a month and no fleas or specks.can't
stand them,since my cats sleep with me too.
Good luck,let me know. Ria

Old September 7th 03, 10:11 PM
Cheryl

In ,
Dave Humes composed with style:
I was combing one of our cats a few weeks ago and noticed some dark
debris in the fur.

I'd recommend a skin-scrape at the vets. Not expensive and they can
rule out mites or other skin parasites.

Old September 8th 03, 08:19 AM
Paulina W

:: "Dave Humes" wrote in message
:: ...

::.I think it's the eggs from the fleas.

To check if it really are flea eggs, just put some on a paper towel and add
a little alcohol. The flea eggs will dye the paper pink. That's what the vet
told (and showed) me once

In this case, however, I'd say it's a common yeast infection, that appears
whenever the animal's immunity decreases.

--
Paulina

Old September 8th 03, 04:40 PM
bewtifulfreak

Paulina W wrote:
"Dave Humes" wrote in message

:.I think it's the eggs from the fleas.

To check if it really are flea eggs, just put some on a paper towel
and add a little alcohol. The flea eggs will dye the paper pink.
That's what the vet told (and showed) me once

Actually, that checks if it's flea droppings (blood)....that's why it dyes
the paper pink. But if you put it in water and it doesn't turn, then
it's probably something else. Just FYI, if you do see flea eggs lying
around, they will look and feel like grains of salt, and if you have it bad,
you'll sometimes see what looks like very small worms wriggling amongst
them, which are the larvae. But from the original post, as I said, because
the debris didn't turn red in water, sounds like it must be something else,
and therefore, I would have the vet check it out, since it could be a skin
problem or something else.

All the Best,
Ann

--