my log-on message

Old December 10th 04, 07:36 AM
Seanette Blaylock

Kreisleriana had some very interesting
things to say about my log-on message:

I'm still bummed that "the Grouch" went by the wayside in System 7 or
so. For those who never knew about it, "the Grouch" was a little
program for Macs that modified the trashcan. When you put a file into
the trash, Oscar the Grouch from Sesame Street would pop out and sing
"Oh, I Love Trash..." When the Muppets were bought by Disney, the
Disney lawyers put a stop to it. I guess Jim Henson didn't mind, but
Disney sure did.

Oh, I remember that, too. And there was another little trashcan
modification called "Burp."

ISTR someone I know saying she'd put a flush sound effect on hers. :-)

Old December 10th 04, 10:49 AM

Takayuki wrote:

Sort of, in the sense that PEEK & POKE and PUSH & POP are pairs of
corresponding memory read/write operations that are typically
represented by a single CPU opcode. The difference being that PEEK
and POKE are random access operations, and PUSH and POP are stack
operations.

What are PEEK and POKE? Never heard of them. What comp. language is
it from?

Joyce
Old December 10th 04, 03:00 PM
Helen Wheels

Seanette Blaylock wrote:

Kreisleriana had some very interesting
things to say about my log-on message:

I'm still bummed that "the Grouch" went by the wayside in System 7 or
so. For those who never knew about it, "the Grouch" was a little
program for Macs that modified the trashcan. When you put a file into
the trash, Oscar the Grouch from Sesame Street would pop out and sing
"Oh, I Love Trash..." When the Muppets were bought by Disney, the
Disney lawyers put a stop to it. I guess Jim Henson didn't mind, but
Disney sure did.

Oh, I remember that, too. And there was another little trashcan
modification called "Burp."

ISTR someone I know saying she'd put a flush sound effect on hers. :-)

I'm not a Mac-er, but I do remember a similar program back on my Windoze
3.1 desktop. At random intervals a cockroach would crawl out from under
one of your open windows. If you closed a window a whole bunch of the
roaches would scurry off and hide under another one. If you were quick
with your mouse you could even splat them.
Wholesome, eh...
Old December 10th 04, 03:09 PM
Kreisleriana

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 23:00:34 +0800, Helen Wheels
yodeled:

Seanette Blaylock wrote:

[...]

Oh, I remember all kinds of silly stuff from then. I remember the
washing machine screen saver. Back in the DOS days, there was a
hotkey program that made this silly ASCII monster appear on the screen
and go "Boo!" I got in trouble at work for that.
But the Mac was much better for fun stuff than the PC. I remember
setting the system sounds on a friend's MAC so that the gunshot went
off and he jumped :P. There was also one called "Bing" which was a
silly voice-- I think it was some Monty Python clip-- saying "Ahhhh, I
see you have a machine that goes 'BIng!'"

Theresa
Old December 10th 04, 03:23 PM
Magic Mood Jeep©

Seanette Blaylock wrote:

Kreisleriana had some very interesting
things to say about my log-on message:

I'm still bummed that "the Grouch" went by the wayside in System
7 or so. For those who never knew about it, "the Grouch" was a
little program for Macs that modified the trashcan. When you put
a file into the trash, Oscar the Grouch from Sesame Street would
pop out and sing "Oh, I Love Trash..." When the Muppets were
bought by Disney, the Disney lawyers put a stop to it. I guess
Jim Henson didn't mind, but Disney sure did.

Oh, I remember that, too. And there was another little trashcan
modification called "Burp."

ISTR someone I know saying she'd put a flush sound effect on hers.
:-)

[...]

I added a sound bite from a movie to a co-workers computer, and set it for
their start-up sound. Said co-worker was NOT very computer literate, and
the sound bite was from the movie Army of Darkness. It said in a very
authortative voice: "Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect
wouldn't understand alloys and compositions and ...things with molecular
structures."

She got a kick out of it. Next thing I knew, half the computers at work had
that as a start-up sound! I heard it from at least 5 different cubicles one
morning. Someone even put it on the IT guy's computer. He was not amused.
It wasn't the sound bite that bothered him, more the fact that someone with
keys to his office messed with his 'puter. Turns out it was *his* boss.

I still have that sound bite, in .wav form if anybody wants it.

--?
The ONE and ONLY
former-blonde in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)© email me at
nalee1964 (at) insightbb (dot) com

Old December 10th 04, 04:14 PM
JB

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 23:36:45 -0800,
Seanette Blaylock wrote:

Kreisleriana had some very interesting
things to say about my log-on message:
Oh, I remember that, too. And there was another little trashcan
modification called "Burp."

ISTR someone I know saying she'd put a flush sound effect on hers. :-)

the one I remember was MacPuke, which, IIRC, produced a nice
"bleaaaagghhh" sound when you dragged a diskette icon to the trash can
(to eject the disk). might have even done it anytime a diskette was
ejected, but I remember it from dragging to the trash can.

Jeff
--
j if e-mail to the posting address | "I know how a grown man needs to
f bounces, look left and below. | organise his hams."
Old December 10th 04, 05:47 PM
Kreisleriana

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:14:24 -0500, JB
yodeled:

Seanette Blaylock wrote:

Kreisleriana had some very interesting
things to say about my log-on message:
Oh, I remember that, too. And there was another little trashcan
modification called "Burp."

ISTR someone I know saying she'd put a flush sound effect on hers. :-)

the one I remember was MacPuke, which, IIRC, produced a nice
"bleaaaagghhh" sound when you dragged a diskette icon to the trash can
(to eject the disk). might have even done it anytime a diskette was
ejected, but I remember it from dragging to the trash can.

Jeff

Oh no, I remember this one, too! I used to work in a library, and
they put a Mac in one of the reading rooms .. . and this one "somehow"
made its way onto the reading room Mac. For one morning.

Theresa