Just to reassure you: FoMoCo is NOT decapitating cats for ads

Old April 18th 04, 11:47 PM
Duke of URL

Default Just to reassure you: FoMoCo is NOT decapitating cats for ads

Ford Upset by Web Ad Showing Decapitation
DEARBORN, Mich. (AP) - Ford Motor Co. is upset by the release of an Internet
advertisement that depicts the decapitation of a computer-animated cat by a
power moonroof hatch, saying it didn't authorize the clip.
The ad for the Sportka, a hatchback sold in Europe, shows the
realistic-looking orange cat climbing on top of the car and poking its head
into the open moonroof, The Detroit News reported Sunday. The hatch slides
closed, the cat struggles briefly and its headless body slides to the
ground.
Ford says the clip was conceived without its approval by ad agency Ogilvy &
Mather as part of a "viral marketing" campaign for the Sportka. "Viral
marketing," a type of e-mail marketing, is the electronic version of word of
mouth, usually inviting recipients to forward an e-mail to others.
"We find this unauthorized ad totally unacceptable and reprehensible and
deplore the fact that it has been unofficially issued," Ford spokesman Oscar
Suris said.
Ogilvy & Mather Worldwide issued a statement saying it also didn't sanction
the commercial, which was leaked onto the Internet on April 1.
"Both companies find this unofficial advertisement totally unacceptable and
reprehensible," the statement said. "The action in the video clip was
totally computer generated, and we would like to assure you that no animal
was harmed in its making."
On the Net:
Ford Motor Co.: http://www.ford.com
Ogilvy & Mather: http://www.ogilvy.com
--
The One-and-only Holy Moses

Old April 19th 04, 01:09 AM
Hopitus2

Well, nastiness aside, I'm sure glad it wasn't any way, shape, or form a
*real*cat!

&
[...]
: --
: The One-and-only Holy Moses
:
:

Old April 19th 04, 08:27 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Duke of URL wrote:

Ogilvy & Mather Worldwide issued a statement saying it also didn't sanction
the commercial, which was leaked onto the Internet on April 1.
"Both companies find this unofficial advertisement totally unacceptable and
reprehensible," the statement said. "The action in the video clip was
totally computer generated, and we would like to assure you that no animal
was harmed in its making."

April 1, eh? Sounds like a tasteless April Fools joke that got out of
hand!