litterbox cleanliness

Old December 25th 05, 09:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default litterbox cleanliness

I've posted before that I have a problem with feces sticking to my cats rear
and drying out and just gross etc. My husband put in his fireman gear (lol)
and held her as gently as poss. and I washed her.
But, how about if Ihave a groomer trim or shave her rear to help this from
reacurring?
Has anyone ever had a similar problem. I know it's unpleasant, but I need a
sol.
thanks to all
ps. she was caged for 2 yrs.at the shelter, she is 2and one half yr.
domestic with fur only a teansy bit longer than a shorthair

Old December 25th 05, 09:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Scully most long hair cats get this problem I suggest a trip to the
groomers or you can buy a grooming kit at any pet shop or place that sells
pet products. If the cat still gets them with no hair a trip to the vet
may be in order to discuss a couple remedies. Now I am assuming it is not
diarrhea put solid feces

Have you tried a bigger cat box
Do you have a cover over it if so remove it so the cat can get better how
can we say this squatting room
The cat may need help with understanding to keep it self clean
socialization usually does this when they are young but being a shelter cat
probably did not occur
A vet or animal behaviorist can help you with the cleaning problem. I had a
cat that lets say that he had a dirty bottom and not the greatest hygiene I
took Vaseline and put some on his rear in the problem areas. They cats
stand something on their fur it made him start licking took a little while
but it worked.

Old December 25th 05, 10:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"scullycat" wrote in message
I've posted before that I have a problem with feces sticking to my cats

rear
and drying out and just gross etc. My husband put in his fireman gear

(lol)
and held her as gently as poss. and I washed her.
But, how about if Ihave a groomer trim or shave her rear to help this from
reacurring?
Has anyone ever had a similar problem. I know it's unpleasant, but I need

sol.
thanks to all
ps. she was caged for 2 yrs.at the shelter, she is 2and one half yr.
domestic with fur only a teansy bit longer than a shorthair

Get a pair of curved, blunt-tipped scissors and trim the fur around her butt
yourself. A good pair of curved scissors costs about $10.

http://www.maxshouse.com/instruments...sors_blunt.jpg

You can also use safety baby scissors with ball tips:

http://www.maxshouse.com/instruments...y_scissors.jpg

Merry Christmas,

Phil

Old December 25th 05, 11:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"scullycat" wrote in message
I've posted before that I have a problem with feces sticking to my cats
rear and drying out and just gross etc. My husband put in his fireman gear
(lol) and held her as gently as poss. and I washed her.
But, how about if Ihave a groomer trim or shave her rear to help this from
reacurring?
Has anyone ever had a similar problem. I know it's unpleasant, but I need
a sol.
thanks to all
ps. she was caged for 2 yrs.at the shelter, she is 2and one half yr.
domestic with fur only a teansy bit longer than a shorthair

This is a very common problem with longhaired cats. You need to trim a
"trail" so the feces doesn't get stuck. Groomers will also do this, and
many vets have technicians who can accomplish the task for a very minimal
cost.

MaryL

Old December 25th 05, 11:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

scullycat wrote:
I've posted before that I have a problem with feces sticking to my cats rear
and drying out and just gross etc. My husband put in his fireman gear (lol)
and held her as gently as poss. and I washed her.
But, how about if Ihave a groomer trim or shave her rear to help this from
reacurring?
Has anyone ever had a similar problem. I know it's unpleasant, but I need a
sol.
thanks to all
ps. she was caged for 2 yrs.at the shelter, she is 2and one half yr.
domestic with fur only a teansy bit longer than a shorthair

Kira has had a couple pieces stuck in her fur over the years. Pretty
rare, andnot too bad. I just had to grab a kleenex and pull it out of
her fur.

Jay Jay has had more problems. When I got him, the stress of the move
and change in diet upset him, and he had diarhea. It got stuck in his
fur, and he was very unhappy about being cleaned. The vet went ahead
and did a nice trim on him while I was there.

Since then, he's only had one other time where something got stuck. I
was able to trim it off with scissors and then give him a little better
trim. Not enough to ruin his lovely pantaloons, but just below his
butt, a little shorter so that there is less for anything to get stuck
in.

If your kitty has a problem on a regular basis, then I would get a
helper and trim him once a month. Not a lot, just in the area you need,
and not too short, just more like a short hair cat.

Old December 26th 05, 01:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"scullycat" wrote:

But, how about if Ihave a groomer trim or shave her rear to help
this from reacurring?
Has anyone ever had a similar problem.

Yes. And yes trimming some butt hair helps.

In my opinion, there is no better time to work on your cat than
after waking it from a nap. It's well worth waiting for. I guess a
cat allows itself to remain in a sleepy state because it recognizes
you as friendly. Soothing words probably help keep it that way. The
sleepiness makes a big difference.

Good luck.