Mom! [Somewhat OT]

Old November 21st 04, 06:55 AM
gracecat

Luna has a black collar with silver moons on it. Glitter's collar is a
sparkly silver that matches her pitch black fur so beautifully. When Abi saw
the collar, she announced her name was Glitter. Glitter started as a
Magnolia or Maggi for short because on November the 1st, All Saints Day, our
magnolia tree given in memory of Eve bloomed that morning, the same morning
I adopted Glitter. But Abi was adament it was a glitter and Glitter she is.
Glitter is a 6 year old black female that I visited on a weekly basis in
October. Nov 1st, an hour after opening I was up at the cages asking if she
could come home. She was supposed to be let go on the 2nd but they let her
go since I was up there so much and had adopted Luna previously.

They settled in quite nicely, no sneezing no coughing an no hacking on
family members part. Mutt is less tolerable of Glitter than she is of Luna.
I wish they felt comfortable enough to come into the bedroom but Jody and
Mutt both drew a solid line at the door that demands DO NOT ENTER. Of
course, Luna and I ignored Jody, I installed a heated window perch and
birdseed feeders outside the window. And Mutt's ok as long as she's under
the covers, doesn't have to see them and they stay absolutely perfectly
silent at all times. Failure to adhere to certain rules will result in an
immediate removal from the bedroom .

Grace
"Sherry " wrote in message
Grace, congratulations on Glitter! What a beautiful name. I don't think

I"ve
ever heard that one before.

Sherry

Old November 21st 04, 11:01 AM
Adrian

Sherry wrote:
Sorry, I'll get off my rant now (it seems to be the week for
rants!!).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Sorry, but I am absolutely laughing. Not at you, but you made me
wonder what my *father* would say if he read this group. He hates
cats. He blames the cats on every affliction or illness we have. But
Bast got the last word: The *very last thing* my grandmother said to
him before she died was, "Take care of my cat." And he did, LOL, for
eight years. It was an outdoor kitty, but STILL!!! Sherry

My father never liked cats but would never hurt one, or see one hurt. So
when he was 19 and saw someone trying to drown a kitten, he rescued it.
He still didn't like cats, but that cat "Figaro" adored him for the next
21 years.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old November 21st 04, 12:29 PM
jmcquown

CatNipped wrote:
I just posted a rant in answer to Jill's rant about her family and
wanted to add an example. Even after all my avowals, I still try to
get my mom's (never-forthcoming) approval.

So...

Since I got such good feedback from you guys on my "...With Mommy"
stories here I thought I'd print them out and send them to her to
read. Her response was, "To be honest I didn't like them at all.
They were too bloody (how could you allow an animal to bite and
scratch you like that?). They were too disgusting, I gagged when I
read about you drinking coffee with cat boogers in it, and if an
animal had gotten anywhere near my food I would have thrown it and
the animal out!"

Sigh, they were just supposed to be funny anecdotes mom!

Now, I have had one of my "Prissy" stories published in a real live
book, "The Cats of Our Lives", edited by Franklin Dohanyos (you can
still buy it on Amazon.com - ISBN 1-55972-487-0), "Prissy Adopts a
Duck", page 171.

You would think that, with that affirmation, it wouldn't bother me
that my cat-hating mom didn't like my stories, but it still stings.
Right after the above comments she started telling me about my older
brother who had a write-up in the Parish paper about his
award-winning wood carving. Message received: Nothing you do is any
good, everything your brother does is excellent. The sad part is
that I am extremely proud of my talented genius of a brother, but mom
makes it so hard for us to get along!

Sorry, I'll get off my rant now (it seems to be the week for rants!!).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Awwwww I'm so sorry your mom didn't appreciate your stories. I loved
them and please continue writing them. Congrats on being published; it's a
great feeling! We all love you!

Purrs,

Jill

Old November 21st 04, 12:44 PM
jmcquown

Tanada wrote:
Sherry wrote:

I once pointed out to my half sister that she'd never said anything
complimentary about me. She paused for about a minute or so (felt
like hours) then said "you produce beautiful babies."

Do we have the same sister, by any chance? Mine is the queen of
double-sworded compliments. Most recent was, "You look great. Did
you get a Wonder Bra?"

Sherry

Mine wouldn't have been that nice. This is the woman who had a fit
because I bought Jason's baby clothes at places like goodwill, Kmart,
and Sears. She told me that I was raising him to think he was
supposed
to live in poverty for all of his life.
Pam S.

Excuse me, but your sister is an idiot. The problem with many kids these
days is they think they have to have designer this and designer that.
What's wrong with hand-me-downs? I sure had my share; I don't have a sister
but my mom used to be given beautiful dresses from a friend whose daughter
was older than me. Kids outgrow things; you just gonna throw them away?
Waste not, want not.

I currently have two bags full of clothing ready to donate to the Salvation
Army. I may have paid $100 for that old dress, but it doesn't fit anymore
and it's in perfect shape. So someone can buy it for maybe $10. And maybe
they can look good when they go on that job interview, or simply to a family
gathering. Whatever.

There is nothing wrong at all with being frugal and teaching your children
to spend a dime wisely.

Jill

Old November 21st 04, 03:28 PM
Kreisleriana

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 16:22:03 GMT, "CatNipped"
yodeled:

I just posted a rant in answer to Jill's rant about her family and wanted to
add an example. Even after all my avowals, I still try to get my mom's
(never-forthcoming) approval.

So...

Since I got such good feedback from you guys on my "...With Mommy" stories
here I thought I'd print them out and send them to her to read. Her
response was, "To be honest I didn't like them at all. They were too bloody
(how could you allow an animal to bite and scratch you like that?). They
were too disgusting, I gagged when I read about you drinking coffee with cat
boogers in it, and if an animal had gotten anywhere near my food I would
have thrown it and the animal out!"

That is so disheartening. We have a built-in tendency to take our
loved ones seriously, especially our parents. They can hurt us so
much.

Sigh, they were just supposed to be funny anecdotes mom!

Now, I have had one of my "Prissy" stories published in a real live book,
"The Cats of Our Lives", edited by Franklin Dohanyos (you can still buy it
on Amazon.com - ISBN 1-55972-487-0), "Prissy Adopts a Duck", page 171.

You would think that, with that affirmation, it wouldn't bother me that my
cat-hating mom didn't like my stories, but it still stings. Right after the
above comments she started telling me about my older brother who had a
write-up in the Parish paper about his award-winning wood carving. Message
received: Nothing you do is any good, everything your brother does is
excellent. The sad part is that I am extremely proud of my talented genius
of a brother, but mom makes it so hard for us to get along!

A good thing to try to remember is not to let your parents interfere
in your relationships with your siblings. Don't let them divide and
conquer you. You and your siblings are the only ones who really know
what life was like with your parents. And your siblings are the ones
who will still be there, with you and for you, after your parents are
gone.

Theresa

Old November 21st 04, 03:45 PM
Sherry

I adopted Glitter. But Abi was adament it was a glitter and Glitter she is.

Ahhh, that explains it. I am very familiar with letting little girls name their
pets. We had a cat named Los Angeles when Jamie was 7. Glitter is a much better
name.
Congratulations! Glitter's a lucky kitty.

Sherry