Donations to Animal Shelters

Old September 20th 09, 08:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Shelters Turning Down Donations (WAS: Donations to Animal Shelters)

"Kajikit" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 13:36:02 -0400, "jmcquown"
wrote:

"Sherry" wrote in message
On Sep 17, 8:08 am, "jmcquown" wrote:
Yesterday I finally emptied the linen closet. I know I talked about
doing
this earlier in the year but I never could actually bring myself to do
it.
The Beaufort County Animal Shelter says they need donations of blankets,
towels and washcloths. I've got a whole pile of them to donate.

(snipped self)
Jill

That's a great thing to do. Especially with winter coming on. Usually
the
dog kennels have a concrete floor, and it must get so cold.

Sherry

I called the shelter to find out exactly where they are located. I
mentioned to the woman who answered the phone I also have a lot of flannel
sheets. (I can't sleep on flannel sheets, they are too darn hot even with
the A/C and a fan running.) The woman told me they wouldn't take flannel
sheets! She said the dogs would rip them up too easily. What do they
care?
They're FREE, aren't they?! I don't understand the mentality, turning
down
donations. Who cares if the dogs rip up free sheets? I'm sure the
kitties
would love them. I don't get it.

Jill

Dog rips up flannel sheet, eats the bits, and they have a thousand
dollar vet bill to deal with for having the bits removed from its
intestinal tract. If you want to do something with the flannel sheets
make them into kitty pillows...
--

Okay, I can understand the vet bills if the dogs eat the sheets. That could
cause problems but the woman never said anything about them eating the

I'm certainly not going to make them into pillows. I haven't sewn anything
in 30+ years and even then I wasn't any good at it. LOL Besides, I don't
have a sewing machine. Why can't they just put the sheets in the kitty
cages?! Or are they afraid of the same thing?

I hate to just throw them away. I'm not giving used sheets to the Salvation
Army. That would be rather rude not to mention unsanitary (of course
they've been washed).

Jill

Old September 20th 09, 08:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

jmcquown wrote:

Okay, I can understand the vet bills if the dogs eat the sheets. That
could cause problems but the woman never said anything about them eating
the sheets. She said they tear them up. I suppose that means they
ingest some of the sheets. She didn't say that. If she said that it
would have made sense.

I'm certainly not going to make them into pillows. I haven't sewn
anything in 30+ years and even then I wasn't any good at it. LOL
Besides, I don't have a sewing machine. Why can't they just put the
sheets in the kitty cages?! Or are they afraid of the same thing?

I hate to just throw them away. I'm not giving used sheets to the
Salvation Army. That would be rather rude not to mention unsanitary (of
course they've been washed).

They sell clean used sheets at our local Salvation Army shop. I bought a
really nice 100% cotton one there, and then there was the polycotton one
with a pretty print I used to make kitchen curtains for a friend...I've
bought various non-clothing items there.

What's wrong with used sheets? Even if the donor didn't wash them, the
shop has clearly put whatever anti-bug stuff they use on them, and like
any buyer, I wash them when I get home.

Locally, the Salvation Army is noted for accepting *anything* as a
donation. Some other local charities prefer to try to limit what they
accept to things they can probably re-sell or to a particular type of
item. One of the shops supporting a cure for some disease (Diabetes?
Epilepsy? My mind has gone blank) only takes clothing; no household
goods at all. Churches and other groups may take anything, or say 'no
flea market goods please' depending on whether they're running an event
that's more of a craft fair or more of a flea market.

You just need to find the right home for the sheets. Someone somewhere
will appreciate them.

--
Cheryl
Old September 20th 09, 08:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

wrote:

"Sherry" wrote in message
[...]

I'd rethink that if they are flannel sheets. I'm sure the homeless
that are camped in the river bottoms around here would love some
flannel sheets and used wouldn't matter. They would replace
something far more used and worn out or just plain dirty.

Jo

Old September 20th 09, 09:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected][_2_]

On Sep 20, 12:30*pm, Cheryl wrote:

Locally, the Salvation Army is noted for accepting *anything* as a
donation.

My mum used to work as a volunteer in a shop supporting the local
hospice. They weren't allowed to sell underwear even if it was clean
or for that matter still in the packet but that and any clothing too
dirty/with too many holes went into a bin liner and a local dealer
used to pay so much for a bag which would then be sold on to be
recycled. They also weren't allowed to sell toiletries unless the box
was unopened. The staff used to take these home after putting
something in for them. My mum used some incredibly good and/or
expensive perfumes as air freshener in the toilet

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old September 20th 09, 09:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Jofirey wrote:

wrote:

"Sherry" wrote in message

[...]

I have been given the impression that our charities laundered things
before distributing to those who need the things. I was told the only
restriction was underwear. (Correct me if this is not true). MLB
Old September 20th 09, 09:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

wrote:
On Sep 20, 12:30 pm, Cheryl wrote:

Locally, the Salvation Army is noted for accepting *anything* as a
donation.

My mum used to work as a volunteer in a shop supporting the local
hospice. They weren't allowed to sell underwear even if it was clean
or for that matter still in the packet but that and any clothing too
dirty/with too many holes went into a bin liner and a local dealer
used to pay so much for a bag which would then be sold on to be
recycled. They also weren't allowed to sell toiletries unless the box
was unopened. The staff used to take these home after putting
something in for them. My mum used some incredibly good and/or
expensive perfumes as air freshener in the toilet

Oh, I suspect even the local branch of the Salvation Army has similar
practices. I think that the time and energy needed to sort out and
discard the really useless junk must be a burden to them. I don't know
if they sell really ragged things for rags; a lot of recycling like that
doesn't work here because we're too far from a business that can use the
rags on a commercial scale. It would cost more to ship the rags out than
they're worth.

They definitely don't consider good but used sheets to be unsalable,
though. I haven't seen any toiletries there, or underpants. They might
sell bras (I can't remember) and they certainly sell slips and
nightclothes. They sell cheap but new mattresses, so I don't think they
re-sell mattresses, but they do sell upholstered furniture, which you'd
think might have similar problems as mattresses.

But they'll accept anything at the counter or in the bin and sort it out
later, unlike some other charities.

Cheryl

--
Cheryl
Old September 20th 09, 09:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected][_2_]

On Sep 20, 1:22*pm, Cheryl wrote:
..
I don't know
if they sell really ragged things for rags; a lot of recycling like that
doesn't work here because we're too far from a business that can use the
rags on a commercial scale. It would cost more to ship the rags out than
they're worth.

It's gone on for years- our local church when I was a kid used to be
visited at the end of their jumble sales by the local rag dealer who
would buy by the pound anything cloth that was unsold

Old September 20th 09, 10:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

wrote:

"Sherry" wrote in message
[...]

There are no-sew blankets that can be made for cats/kittens. Cut 2
squares from the flannel sheets, then cut some 'fringe' onto all four
edges of BOTH squares (preferably cutting both at the same time, so that
each has equal number of 'fringe' strips), then use these strips to tie
each square to the other. Before you finish tying the last side, stuff it
with scraps from the rest of the sheets (parts that aren't big enough to
make a set of squares out of) to give it 'body', maybe a few 'grains' of
catnip to make it interesting. Make sure to tie the fringe/strips
tightly, using 2 knots to secure, then maybe cut off the ends to ensure
that hey don't get chewed/ingested...

The fringe/strips can be a wide as 1 inch, and the squares that we made
this past summer (using cheap fleece fabric) were 3 feet to a side (the
tying makes it much smaller looking when finished, and it ends up being
more roundish). We got to choose which kitties got the blankies, and the
shelter said that they would be sent to their forever homes with them (in
the carrier) to help alleviate stress. Some kitties claimed them as soon
as they were placed in their cages (that was so cute), sitting on them
smugly and purring up a storm, other ignored them until later.

her
wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
former-blonde

Old September 20th 09, 11:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav

"MLB" wrote in message
I have been given the impression that our charities laundered
things before distributing to those who need the things...

Indeed. I read a story somewhere [maybe even here!] about someone
who regularly donated their 'old' clothes to a local thrift shop.
The shop would then have the clothes laundered before putting
them out for re-sale - at which point the donator would buy them
back. It seems this was cheaper method of getting the clothe
laundered!

--
MatSav