Persia Spots a Deer

Old May 20th 14, 01:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Persia Spots a Deer

There seem to be a lot of deer around where I live lately. Or at least
they're showing themselves more.

Well before dusk I saw about six of them just mosying across the fairway
from behind my neighbors house. They meandered around, munching on
stuff. I even heard dogs barking but they didn't run off.

About two hours later I saw them come back, this time they were right
behind my house.

Persia saw me looking out the back door and went to look. It was the
oddest moment, like "What the heck is that?!" LOL They had a bit of a
staring contest. Apparently since the deer didn't bark at her or
encroach further on her territory, she lost interest and curled up on
her crackle sack.

This is the young guy she spotted:

http://s1342.photobucket.com/user/ji...68770.jpg.html

He's just got a start on his antlers. Persia was not impressed. I love
being able to see them.

Jill
Old May 20th 14, 02:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

[...]

~~~~~~~~
Lovely! That is an enchanting image.

MaryL

Old May 20th 14, 04:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 5/20/2014 9:14 AM, MaryL wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

[...]

He's a cute "little" guy. I enjoy being able to see them come close
enough to photograph. However, he was standing there for quite some
time eyeing his reflection in the glass. I had visions of him trying to
challenge the strange deer and winding up in my living room!

Jill
Old May 20th 14, 06:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

[...]

I can see why that would have made you a bit nervous. It's wonderful
you get to see them so close, though.

My mother had a toy poodle who would bark at any other dog, no matter
how big it was. However, when the deer would come into her yard, it was
a different story. Her attitude was "Deer? What deer? I don't see any
deer?"

Joy

--
Joy Unlimited
Colorful Crocheted Critters
Old May 20th 14, 07:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

There seem to be a lot of deer around where I live lately. Or at least
they're showing themselves more.

(snipped self)

This is the young guy she spotted:

http://s1342.photobucket.com/user/ji...68770.jpg.html

He's just got a start on his antlers. Persia was not impressed. I love
being able to see them.

Jill

~~~~~~~~
Lovely! That is an enchanting image.

MaryL

He's a cute "little" guy. I enjoy being able to see them come close
enough to photograph. However, he was standing there for quite some
time eyeing his reflection in the glass. I had visions of him trying to
challenge the strange deer and winding up in my living room!

Jill

I can see why that would have made you a bit nervous. It's wonderful
you get to see them so close, though.

It's nice to see them, absolutely! But they are unpredictable. The
deer are one reason I don't drive anywhere near dusk. They seem to be
coming out even earlier lately.

Knock wood I never have a deer jump in front of my little car. If I see
or if I even *think* I'm going to see deer walking along the road or
crossing the road here, I stop. (I seem to have some sort of built-in
deer warning system that tells me uh oh, they're around.) I don't want
to think about what would happen if I was involved in a deer collision.

My mother had a toy poodle who would bark at any other dog, no matter
how big it was. However, when the deer would come into her yard, it was
a different story. Her attitude was "Deer? What deer? I don't see any
deer?"

Joy

Very funny! "Nope, I didn't see any deer. See? I'm not barking.
There are no deer."

A friend suggested when Persia saw the deer she most likely thought,
"Holy Cow! I can't scare that thing off! I guess I'll just go over here..."

Jill
Old May 20th 14, 09:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

MaryL wrote:

Lovely! That is an enchanting image.

MaryL

Back in around 1935, the Veterans' Hospital in Minneapolis MN (where my
father spent the months of his final illness) had friendly deer roaming
the grounds. Unfortunately, they had to get rid of them, because people
fed them cigarettes, the deer became addicted, and began attacking
visitors for the tobacco in their pockets.
Old May 20th 14, 10:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 5/20/2014 1:33 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

MaryL wrote:

Lovely! That is an enchanting image.

MaryL

Back in around 1935, the Veterans' Hospital in Minneapolis MN (where my
father spent the months of his final illness) had friendly deer roaming
the grounds. Unfortunately, they had to get rid of them, because people
fed them cigarettes, the deer became addicted, and began attacking
visitors for the tobacco in their pockets.

Oh, that is sad!

Joy

Old May 20th 14, 11:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

m...

MaryL wrote:

Lovely! That is an enchanting image.

MaryL

Back in around 1935, the Veterans' Hospital in Minneapolis MN (where my
father spent the months of his final illness) had friendly deer roaming
the grounds. Unfortunately, they had to get rid of them, because people
fed them cigarettes, the deer became addicted, and began attacking
visitors for the tobacco in their pockets.

~~~~~~~~~
People do such stupid things. Years ago, when I was visiting Yellowstone
with my family, one of the forest rangers told us that there had been a
recent incident when a man held up half a sandwich for a *grizzly* to reach
while his wife took a picture. Then he tried to hide the other half
sandwich behind his back. You can probably guess what happened next.

While we were on that same visit, we saw a family group (father, small
toddler, and mother) holding hands and walking across the crust of soil
around hot springs to look down into one of the "pots." This was despite
warnings that some people accidentally break through the crust every year
and end up with parboiled feet. Fortunately, this little group escaped
unscathed. There were wooden walkways (*with guardrails*) in the area that
gave very good views, yet people are willing to jeopardize their health
(sometimes their lives) to get just a few feet closer.

MaryL

Hot spots? C Schmidt Cat anecdotes 3 March 4th 06 05:24 PM
Hot Spots lj Cat health & behaviour 2 January 21st 06 08:53 AM
From Persia: Deer Vintage Kittens and Hoolikittens jmcquown Cat anecdotes 2 October 13th 05 06:04 PM
Cleaners For Cat Spots Cat Protector Cat health & behaviour 33 February 7th 05 01:53 AM