Sources for Insulin?

Old October 18th 03, 01:41 AM
Jennifer Thompson

Default Sources for Insulin?

Hi all,

I just purchased my first vial of PZI insulin from my vet, for my
newly-diagnosed diabetic cat, Sylvester. The vial will last just under
two months, at his current dose of 4 units a day, which will probably be
increased to somewhere between 8 and 14 units a day, based on my vet's
past experience with cats Sylvester's size (17 pounds). That will mean
I will be going through at least a vial a month.

The vial cost $130.00!

The vet told me he would write me a prescription if I found the same
insulin somewhere else, for less.

Does anybody here know of an on-line pharmacy or somewhere else I can
get this type of insulin less expensively?

Thanks,
Jennifer

Old October 18th 03, 05:56 AM
Marek Williams

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 00:41:43 GMT, Jennifer Thompson
dijo:

Does anybody here know of an on-line pharmacy or somewhere else I can
get this type of insulin less expensively?

Yikes!

In the U.S. human insulin costs about $25-30 per 1000 unit vial (10
ml, U-100). I don't know anything about PZI insulin, but my initial
reaction is that it shouldn't cost anywhere near that amount.

Having said that, almost all human insulin is made from e. coli
bacteria which have been genetically reengineered to produce human
insulin. In the olden days it was made by processing the pancreases
from pigs and cows, and it was more expensive back then. I'm wondering
if the demand for PZI insulin is so low that they have to use older,
more expensive methods to make it.

--
Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

Old October 18th 03, 08:03 AM
Magic Mood Jeep©

from WebMD's Glossary of Diabetes related terms:

protamine zinc insulin (PZI)-A long-acting insulin, prepared with large
amounts of protamine combined with Regular insulin in the presence of zinc.

--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

"Karen" wrote in message
in article , Marek Williams at
wrote on 10/17/03 11:56 PM:

[...]

you might go to a local pharmacist. They will know what it is, how much it
is and might be able to supply it at a lower price.

Karen

Old October 18th 03, 10:40 AM
Phil P.

"Jennifer Thompson" wrote in message
Hi all,

I just purchased my first vial of PZI insulin from my vet, for my
newly-diagnosed diabetic cat, Sylvester. The vial will last just under
two months, at his current dose of 4 units a day, which will probably be
increased to somewhere between 8 and 14 units a day, based on my vet's

past experience with cats Sylvester's size (17 pounds). That will mean
I will be going through at least a vial a month.

I'm a little surprised your vet started right off with PZI - we only use PZI
in cats that are difficult to regulate with lente or ultralente insulin -
which isn't that many cats - even though human insulin is completely
different than feline insulin.

The vial cost $130.00!

I paid about $700... for *twelve* vials of U40 PZI... and that's without a
discount. That breaks down to about $60 a vial... They have (had) an
minimum order of 3 vials which still cost less than $200.

The vet told me he would write me a prescription if I found the same
insulin somewhere else, for less.

Not a good idea - see below.

Does anybody here know of an on-line pharmacy or somewhere else I can
get this type of insulin less expensively?

Jennifer, you're treading on dangerous ground with PZI. There's only *one*
reliable source for PZI and that's:

Blue Ridge Pharmaceuticals
4249-105 Piedmont Parkway
Greensboro NC 27410

You can call BRP for a quote at 1-800-374-8006 - but they'll only sell to
vets. They're very helpful and will answer all your and your vet's
questions.

BRP is rhe only manufacturer of PZI that is applying for FDA approval
specifically for cats. This means BRP PZI is manufactured under FDA drug
policies. Its also the only insulin that's manufactured in large quantities
and tested *specifically* for cats.. Large production runs significantly
reduces variations from vial to vial.

PZI can be compounded by any compounding parmacist... However, its very
difficult to maintain consistency in drugs manufactured in small quantities
and by different people. IOW, every new vial of compounded PZI can be a
crap-shoot - with unpredictable results.

I strongly advise you buy your PZI *only* from Blue Ridge Pharmaceuticals.

Good luck.

Phil.

Old October 18th 03, 04:34 PM
Nancy Thuleen

In article , Phil P.
wrote:

I paid about $700... for *twelve* vials of U40 PZI... and that's without a
discount. That breaks down to about $60 a vial... They have (had) an
minimum order of 3 vials which still cost less than $200.

Yes, that's exactly what I pay (through my vet): about $63 per bottle,
I usually get them in batches of 3 bottles, occasionally four if my
schedule looks crowded. They do send syringes with that, so no cost
for those, at least, but it is an expensive insulin.

I can only agree with *everything* Phil said about PZI. I don't like
the cost, but after spending 8 months trying Ultralente, Lente and even
N human insulin, NONE of which were working for Kelson, we switched to
PZI and within a week he was almost completely regulated. But I know
that for a lot of cats, Ultralente or Lente work great, and they're
about 1/3 of the price of PZI -- and you can get them from any local
pharmacy, since they're just the standard Lilly insulins that people
use.

PZI can be compounded by any compounding parmacist... However, its very
difficult to maintain consistency in drugs manufactured in small quantities
and by different people. IOW, every new vial of compounded PZI can be a
crap-shoot - with unpredictable results.

One time my vet had a new person in charge of placing orders, and
instead of going through Blue Ridge she went through a local
compounding pharmacy. It cost about $10 less per vial, but it was
HORRIBLE insulin -- Kelson immediately starting rebounding from going
too low, and when I cut the dose by only .5 units, he ended up staying
over 400 all day, so within a week I returned those bottles (the vet
absorbed the cost, THANKFULLY) and got back to Blue Ridge's PZI, and
all was fine again. Never again! I always make sure it's Blue Ridge
before I pay for it now.

To the original poster who was planning on using about a vial a month
-- that's probably about all you can use. Once it's opened, insulin
starts to lose its effectiveness, even in the refrigerator. It's a
slow loss, and the first two weeks don't seem to show any differences
for Kelson, but after exactly 23 days for Kelson, I can't really use
the bottle anymore. However, that could be because the vial is getting
very low and more air is in it, so it may last longer if it stays
fuller, I don't know.

BRP is rhe only manufacturer of PZI that is applying for FDA approval
specifically for cats.

I could be wrong, but I thought they got FDA approval a few months ago.
The first time I bought PZI, I had to sign a consent form, and my vet
had to agree to keep records and allow visitation for testing purposes.
(My vet said, "if the FDA shows up on my doorstep, it's your fault,
Nancy!" But she was laughing.) A few months later they apparently
told my vet that she didn't need to keep records anymore, that they had
passed the approval testing stage. But I don't know what real
difference that makes.

Anyway, even though I love PZI for its effectiveness, I do grumble at
the cost, and I'd strongly advise Jennifer to talk to her vet about
trying Ultralente or Lente insulin first. (Remember to use the correct
syringes if you switch! PZI uses U-40 syringes, human insulin uses
U-100 -- a 2.5x difference, so you could have real problems if you used
the wrong syringes!)

Good luck!
- Nancy.