Hens

Old April 13th 08, 05:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Hens

"Baha via CatKB.com" u18616@uwe wrote in message news:829fd8c045f1c@uwe...
My parents used to talk about the "banty hens" they kept when they lived
in

the city. And one rooster with attitude issues. I think "banty" refers to
small breed of chicken, but this rooster strutted around and acted like
the
popular percetion of a Rottweiler. they had a picture (long since
disintegrated) of this tiny rooster attacking the mail carrier, and I was
told this went on regularly.

Bantam roosters mostly have an attitude problem. I have only one pair of
bantams, Barnevelders. I don't think I will get any more, even though they
are beautiful.
I cannot go in his run unless I hold a mesh screen in front of me and today
when I went in the pen next door he tried to attack me through the wire. He
smashed into it with spurs flying, so to speak. It hurt him more than me
though ;-)
Thank goodness I have other larger breeds with more gentle boys that I
prefer to keep. When he passes away naturally that's the end of bantie
roosters for me. Most poultry keepers I know would have wrung his neck 3
years ago for bad temperament.
I can't do it, hey I can be feisty myself ;-)

Tweed

Old April 13th 08, 06:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Apr 13, 9:57*am, "tanadashoes" wrote:

Bantys are some mean little cracker chickens.

Geese were the only things that Speedy Joe (RB) would run from and
this is a cat where our neighbour once had to knock on the door to ask
if her dobermann could have her bone back from the cat!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old April 13th 08, 06:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Listen girl, we used to have a barnyard full of "those little things" they
can tear you up. I saw them attack a cat once and the cat barely lived to
tell about it.
"tanadashoes" wrote in message
m...

"Sherry" wrote in message

That's so cool! I had no idea there was a placement plan for ex-
battery hens. It's just so neat to hear those poor things will live
out their lives free of suffering.
I admit I don't know much about chickens. But my aunt went in for
surgery on Monday, and she has a bantam rooster and asked me to take
care of it, and the dogs. I've been very faithful to keep close watch
on them. But I swear, that chicken is a moody little thing. I've
learned this about chickens this week: If he runs toward me, he wants
his food. If he runs toward me with one wing dropped, he is fixing to
chase me to the car. YES. I let a 6-inch chicken chase me. This was
after he attacked the calf of my leg the first time.

==================================

Bantys are some mean little cracker chickens.

Pam S.

Old April 13th 08, 08:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christina Websell wrote:

Boyfriend is a complete wuss around my chickens. He averts his eyes
when he goes past them ;-)

That's hilarious. As though the chickens have any idea what that means.

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^
Old April 13th 08, 08:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Lesley wrote:

Geese were the only things that Speedy Joe (RB) would run from and
this is a cat where our neighbour once had to knock on the door to ask
if her dobermann could have her bone back from the cat!

Wow - cartoons had it all wrong!

Old April 14th 08, 01:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

Boyfriend is a complete wuss around my chickens. He averts his eyes
when he goes past them ;-)

That's hilarious. As though the chickens have any idea what that means.

It makes him feel like he's being a good boy.

Tweed

Old April 14th 08, 09:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Granby" wrote in message
Listen girl, we used to have a barnyard full of "those little things"
they can tear you up. I saw them attack a cat once and the cat barely
lived to tell about it.

Yeah, I don't know which was worse, the roosters who would try to gouge out
our legs or the hens who would fly into our faces and try to peck our eyes
out. I hate chickens and consider Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) as a form of
revenge.

Pam S

Old April 14th 08, 11:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

Boyfriend is a complete wuss around my chickens. He averts his eyes
when he goes past them ;-)

That's hilarious. As though the chickens have any idea what that means.

It makes him feel like he's being a good boy.

Tweed

We had our four month old granddaughter here all day yesterday. Kayla just
had to stay outside but Jake and Molly did the 'I'm not looking at her, I
can't see her" number.

Someday they will be the best of friends.

Kayla just wants to know 'how long till she can throw a ball?'

Jo

Old April 15th 08, 06:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Marina wrote:

wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

Boyfriend is a complete wuss around my chickens. He averts his eyes
when he goes past them ;-)

That's hilarious. As though the chickens have any idea what that means.

Staring is a challenge in the animal world.

You're right, although a chicken would only be able to manage a one-eyed
stare. Of course, you could say the same about a number of cats we know
here.

One time I was walking
Frank when we met a hare. It came loping along the road towards us. As
it came nearer and then passed us at just a few feet away, both Frank
and the hare acted as if the other one didn't exist. Neither one even
glanced at the other. The hare was slightly larger than Frank, so he was
probably not sure he would be able to take it. If it had been Nikki, I'm
quite sure she'd have got into position to pounce, though it was
definitely much larger than her.

Eeek, giant bunny! Reminds me of a very silly movie called "Night of
the Lepus", about roving gangs of giant rabbits. I saw this on TV years
ago. It wasn't clear how big they actually were - they might have been
dog-sized, or maybe horse-sized, it depended on the shot. Also, they
were multi-colored. There were blue, and purple, and green ones.

What? No, I did not *dream* it!!! Neither were there any substances
involved. At least, not on my part - I can't speak for the director.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069005/