Hens

Old April 15th 08, 02:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Default Hens

wrote:
Marina wrote:

wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

Boyfriend is a complete wuss around my chickens. He averts
his eyes when he goes past them ;-)

That's hilarious. As though the chickens have any idea what that
means.

Staring is a challenge in the animal world.

You're right, although a chicken would only be able to manage a
one-eyed stare. Of course, you could say the same about a number of
cats we know here.

One time I was walking
Frank when we met a hare. It came loping along the road towards us.
As it came nearer and then passed us at just a few feet away, both
Frank and the hare acted as if the other one didn't exist. Neither
one even glanced at the other. The hare was slightly larger than
Frank, so he was probably not sure he would be able to take it. If
it had been Nikki, I'm quite sure she'd have got into position to
pounce, though it was definitely much larger than her.

Eeek, giant bunny! Reminds me of a very silly movie called "Night of
the Lepus", about roving gangs of giant rabbits. I saw this on TV
years ago. It wasn't clear how big they actually were - they might
have been dog-sized, or maybe horse-sized, it depended on the shot.
Also, they were multi-colored. There were blue, and purple, and
green ones.

What? No, I did not *dream* it!!! Neither were there any substances
involved. At least, not on my part - I can't speak for the director.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069005/

That was one of the funniest movies I ever saw. :-) I loved the bit with
sherrif at the drive-in, "there's a herd of killer rabbits coming this way"
and everyone starts screeming.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old April 15th 08, 02:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Apr 14, 3:47*pm, "tanadashoes" wrote:
"Granby" wrote in message

Listen girl, we used to have a barnyard full of "those little things"
they can tear you up. *I saw them attack a cat once and the cat barely
lived to tell about it.

Yeah, I don't know which was worse, the roosters who would try to gouge out
our legs or the hens who would fly into our faces and try to peck our eyes
out. *I hate chickens and consider Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) as a form of
revenge.

Pam S

I kinda like chickens. I think I'd like to have a trio of yard
chickens (the nice kind, that don't chase you).....I know for a fact
that Boots would chase them though.
I *saw* her chasing a wild turkey the other day. WHAT is she thinking?
Like she's
going to bring down a bird four times her size?
OTOH, I could introduce her to Cogburn, the killer banty, and that
might change her attitude.

Sherry
Old April 15th 08, 05:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Sherry wrote:
I kinda like chickens. I think I'd like to have a trio of yard
chickens (the nice kind, that don't chase you).....I know for a fact
that Boots would chase them though.
I *saw* her chasing a wild turkey the other day. WHAT is she thinking?
Like she's
going to bring down a bird four times her size?
OTOH, I could introduce her to Cogburn, the killer banty, and that
might change her attitude.

Heh, so she doesn't just look like Nikki, she has the same killer
attitude as Nikki did.

Old April 16th 08, 10:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

wafflycat wrote:
Hurrah! At long last!

Next weekend I'm due to pick up a couple of ex-battery hens.

They will be pampered for the rest of their lives, however long or
short. At least they'll be out of the miserable existance that is the
life of a battery hen. Any eggs they choose to lay for me will be an
added bonus.

Coming via the Battery Hen Welfare Trust. See http://www.bhwt.org.uk/

It's why I've only bought organis free-range eggs for a long, long time
now.

I'm *sooo* excited!

But it's going to be interesting to see how Waffles, Francis and Marble
take to their new housemates!

Congrats!
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek