vaccine reaction with vomiting and bloody diarrhea

Old August 9th 10, 05:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Nadia N.

Default vaccine reaction with vomiting and bloody diarrhea

Please anyone who has experience with this, I need help, or at least
reassurance.

I took Sweety - 2.5 year old ragdoll - to the vet today for her yearly
vaccination. She got something called Nobivac Tricat (for feline
herpesvirus, feline calicivirus and feline panleucopenia). 3 hours later
she started having diarrhea and vomiting. I rushed her back to the vet.
He gave her a shot for infection and to stop the vomiting, then told me
to take her home and keep her cool (we're in Spain and it's *hot* here
right now). He said her color (gums) was good. She was panting, but she
always pants when she's scared or excited, so we think that was not a
problem. He gave her Primperan for the vomiting, and I'm not sure what
the name of the drug against infection was. He gave me a syringe with
another dose of the same medicine to inject her with in 8 hours.

I took her home, and about an hour later she tried throwing up again.
There wasn't anything in her tummy so all that came out was a bit of
foamy liquid. But at the same time her read end started leaking bloody
diarrhea. It was just mucus and blood - there was nothing left in her
intestines by this point. I called the vet again, and told him this. He
told me to give her Flagyl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metronidazole)
and Sucralfate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucralfate). I am familiar
with both of these - I've given the Flagyl to her when she had bloody
diarrhea as a kitten, but then it was just a few drops of blood, not a
whole puddle of blood like now. He said to call him in a few hours again
to tell him how she's doing.

What else should I be doing? She's not drinking, and with the vomiting
and diarrhea she must be dehydrated (although she wasn't when I took her
to the vet - he checked her skin). I tried offering her water, ice cubes
in the water, freshly made chicken broth (cooled)... she won't even
sniff at anything. Should I syringe water into her?

What else do vets normally do in these cases? Should I take her to
another vet? Just treating the symptoms of vomiting and diarrhea doesn't
seem enough... but maybe that's what is normally done and I am just too
crazy with worry...

Nadia, Kotyo and a very sick Sweety

--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety
Old August 9th 10, 06:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AZ Nomad[_2_]

On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 18:14:24 +0200, Nadia N. wrote:
Please anyone who has experience with this, I need help, or at least
reassurance.

I took Sweety - 2.5 year old ragdoll - to the vet today for her yearly
vaccination. She got something called Nobivac Tricat (for feline
herpesvirus, feline calicivirus and feline panleucopenia). 3 hours later
she started having diarrhea and vomiting. I rushed her back to the vet.

Assuming she's not dead from inaction, get her to a pet emergency care
clinic, or another vet if you haven't one.
Old August 9th 10, 06:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Nadia N.

AZ Nomad wrote:
On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 18:14:24 +0200, Nadia N. wrote:
Please anyone who has experience with this, I need help, or at least
reassurance.

I took Sweety - 2.5 year old ragdoll - to the vet today for her yearly
vaccination. She got something called Nobivac Tricat (for feline
herpesvirus, feline calicivirus and feline panleucopenia). 3 hours later
she started having diarrhea and vomiting. I rushed her back to the vet.

Assuming she's not dead from inaction, get her to a pet emergency care
clinic, or another vet if you haven't one.

She is not dead. She hasn't vomited since the last time I posted. She
had one more incident of trying to poo where she just passed mucous
which was dark pink in color. It wasn't as bloody as the last time.

What exactly else is a vet supposed to do other than what my vet did? He
checked her heart and the color of her gums, and gave medicines to try
to stop the vomiting and diarrhea. She has no trouble breathing, so he
didn't give her an anti-histamine as I've read is done sometimes for
adverse reactions to vaccines. If you know what else is supposed to be
done, maybe you can post it instead of saying "if she's not dead from
inaction". I am trying my best to get her the best care I can.

Old August 9th 10, 07:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AZ Nomad[_2_]

On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 19:38:03 +0200, Nadia N. wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:
[...]

I don't know. I'm not a vet nor do I play one on usenet. Vomiting is
serious business and I wouldn't spend the evening asking strangers on
usenet. Kitty'd be in the care of professionals instead.
Old August 9th 10, 07:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Nadia N.

AZ Nomad wrote:
On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 19:38:03 +0200, Nadia N. wrote:

What exactly else is a vet supposed to do other than what my vet did? He
checked her heart and the color of her gums, and gave medicines to try

I don't know. I'm not a vet nor do I play one on usenet. Vomiting is
serious business and I wouldn't spend the evening asking strangers on
usenet. Kitty'd be in the care of professionals instead.

I did take her to a professional. I took her to her vet - the same one
who gave her the vaccination. He gave her Primperan to stop the vomiting
and she has indeed stopped vomiting. I have the vet's emergency phone
number and he said to call at any time if I notice any change for the
worse. At the moment she is sleeping. Earlier she was even washing
herself, which to me is a sign that she is feeling better.

The reason I posted was because I was hoping to hear from other people
who have been in a similar situation with their cat, so I could have
some idea of what to expect, and to reassure myself that this happens
and cats get over it with the proper care. That was *AFTER* I had taken
my cat to the vet for the 2nd time, and after I had talked to him on the
phone. I was not looking for vet advice online. I said as much in my
original post, right at the top. Maybe you missed reading that part?

Again, does anyone have any advice how I can get Sweety to drink? She
still refuses any water or broth. She hasn't eaten or drunk since this
morning (about 12 hours ago), and she threw up the food she'd eaten
then. I am not concerned about her not eating, but I think she needs to
drink. I tried to give her water with a syringe and most of it ended up
on her fur. For a sick kitty she sure has a lot of fight in her. I don't
want to stress her too much by forcing water on her. It's bad enough
that I'll have to force bad-tasting medicine down her throat again. I
asked the vet about her not drinking and he thinks that she is still
feeling too nauseous to want to drink, and that she'll start drinking
when she feels better. He said that if she doesn't drink anything until
tomorrow morning it won't hurt her, and if she really hasn't started
drinking by then I should bring her back in. He repeated again that she
was not dehydrated when he looked at her the 2nd time (about 4 hours ago).

Old August 9th 10, 09:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"Nadia N." wrote

Again, does anyone have any advice how I can get Sweety to drink? She
still refuses any water or broth. She hasn't eaten or drunk since this
morning (about 12 hours ago), and she threw up the food she'd eaten

Drinking is critical. Too dehydrated they will have to put her on an IV.

Try broth again, but water it down a bit and make sure it isnt to salty.

then. I am not concerned about her not eating, but I think she needs to
drink. I tried to give her water with a syringe and most of it ended up on
her fur. For a sick kitty she sure has a lot of fight in her. I don't

Keep trying. If 'most ended on her fur' that means some got in? Thats
important. Do not use milk (unless special cat milk) as older cats are
almost always lactose intolerant so it would cause more loss than gain.

They make a sort of margarine for lactose intolerant people and it's mostly
water. If she likes butter, she may accept licking some of that.

want to stress her too much by forcing water on her. It's bad enough that
I'll have to force bad-tasting medicine down her throat again. I asked the
vet about her not drinking and he thinks that she is still feeling too
nauseous to want to drink, and that she'll start drinking when she feels
better. He said that if she doesn't drink anything until tomorrow morning
it won't hurt her, and if she really hasn't started drinking by then I
should bring her back in. He repeated again that she was not dehydrated
when he looked at her the 2nd time (about 4 hours ago).

I agree she probably isnt too much so if she's normally well aquated. 12
hours is acceptable (not preferred obviously)

I've only had experience with one cat that had a bad reaction to a shot, but
it was a bit like this. He was allergic to something in that shot. If it
helps, he did indeed start drinking a bit in the night and by morning was
happy to be waited on hand and foot with little tempting treats in tiny
amounts every hour or so. The first thing he accepted with a little bit of
my roomate's 'special margarine for the lactose intolerant' (her idea and a
good one as it worked).

He was my roomate's cat and they moved on so I don't know if Chauncy had any
later issues. Just that he didn't have any while she was staying with me.

Old August 10th 10, 12:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Nadia N.

cshenk wrote:
"Nadia N." wrote

Again, does anyone have any advice how I can get Sweety to drink? She
still refuses any water or broth. She hasn't eaten or drunk since this
morning (about 12 hours ago), and she threw up the food she'd eaten

Drinking is critical. Too dehydrated they will have to put her on an IV.

Try broth again, but water it down a bit and make sure it isnt to salty.

I managed to get her to drink a bit of chicken broth. It wasn't the
broth we cooked especially for her, though - she wouldn't touch that
one. But she eats these cans of pure white chicken meat in broth, and
after I had exhausted all other choices I gave her some of the broth
from the can, diluted with water. At first I didn't want to give her
that because it does have some salt in it, but I was out of other things
to try, and I did add a lot of water to it. So far I've given it to her
3 times. She slurps up some, then starts licking her chops and stops. I
think that maybe she starts feeling nauseous again and that's why she
stops. Still, she drank up about 3/4 of a bowl that way (it's her wet
food bowl, not as big as a water bowl, but still not small).

She has perked up quite a bit. She washed for a while, walked around,
even lead me to the fridge asking for food. I'm not supposed to give her
food till tomorrow morning though, so she just got more broth. I had to
give her a shot - a second dose of the same anti-inflammatory and
anti-nausea medicine that the vet gave her at the office. I'd never
given a kitty a shot before. I hope I did it right. Poor little girl,
having to be stuck with needles by an amateur.

I've only had experience with one cat that had a bad reaction to a shot,
but it was a bit like this. He was allergic to something in that shot.
If it helps, he did indeed start drinking a bit in the night and by
morning was happy to be waited on hand and foot with little tempting
treats in tiny amounts every hour or so. The first thing he accepted
with a little bit of my roomate's 'special margarine for the lactose
intolerant' (her idea and a good one as it worked).

Thanks for telling me about your roommate's cat. It's good to know this
has happened to other kitties before, and they recovered. I have been
googling adverse reactions to vaccines, but pretty much all of them
describe symptoms that she doesn't have, like swelling up and difficulty
breathing, falling over, seizures. I wonder if maybe her symptoms being
just vomiting and diarrhea and none of the others mean that this is not
so much an allergic reaction to the vaccine, but that the vaccination
just weakened her system and let an existing problem get worse. She has
always had a sensitive tummy, soft stools, and when I first got her as a
kitten she had diarrhea with blood in it for over a week. In any case,
she seems better tonight. We'll see how she does with solid food tomorrow...

Oh, and to the person who said that she might "die from inattention" and
that my vet was unprofessional, my vet called tonight at 11:30 pm to ask
how she was doing, and if she had started drinking. Very inattentive of
him, yeah.

Old August 10th 10, 12:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Nadia N.

Matthew wrote:
Sardine juice or tuna juice from a can with their own oil

Thanks, Matthew. I don't think I can give her anything fish-based. With
her upset tummy any kind of fish juice would only make it worse. She
doesn't actually get any fish-based food, because the one and only time
I tried giving her some she started throwing up, violently. She's always
had a sensitive tummy.

I managed to get her to drink some chicken broth, as I said in my other
post, so things are looking up. Next hurdle - a bit of solid food for
breakfast, and the morning dose of anti-diarrhea medicine. It's Flagyl,
which seems to taste absolutely awful. When I gave it to her this
afternoon she started foaming at the mouth. Poor baby :-(

Old August 10th 10, 01:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

sounds like a really bad reaction to the vaccine. Do you know how to check
to see if they are dehydrated by pulling on their skin Google it. If it is
positive and no matter what I would call the vet to see if they need to
start IV fluids.

I know this is emotional WRITE down all the symptoms and reactions all of
them how long apart etc it is easier to tell a vet when stuff like this
happens trust me it works. When rumble has is first seizure 7 years ago I
was a babbling mess and hysterical my vet who is my friend also thought my
mom died. Since than I have learned the above

http://www.ehow.com/how_2161409_trea...rated-cat.html
http://www.cat-world.com.au/dehydration-in-cats