OT YAY!!!

Old June 21st 11, 05:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Default OT YAY!!!

On Jun 20, 10:57*am, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
So, fresh from my hydro and my physio not talking about her holidays, I got
into him, and drove him 50 yards down the road, turned him round and
reversed him back into my drive. *It did hurt me a lot and I could not have
gone further, tbh, but it gives me real hope now.

Oh and whilst we're swopping bank horror stories- Let's just say

FANTASTIC NEWS! (And indeed Mr F Rocks!)

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old June 21st 11, 09:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
Joy wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message

1996, I think he was born then.

That's a respectable age. I traded in my 1986 Corolla on a 2000, which
still have. Since I'm 75 years old and have only about 62,000 miles on
for
driving before it is.

I have a 1997 Corolla, which I bought in 2002. It has over 200K miles on
it, has a side-view mirror held on with duct tape, a seatbelt that
requires
a major ritual in order to put it on and take it off every time I drive, a
sun visor with a hole in it, so that the powdery stuff inside it rains out
every time I move it. (I tried duct tape on that, but the intense sunlight
through the windshield melted the glue.) I'm not willing to spend money to
repair or replace those things. I also have an unusuable spare tire, which
I am willing to replace, but haven't gotten around to it. Yeah, I know.

But it drives great, and even gets decent milage. So until that's no
longer
true, I'm keeping it.

Blimey.. makes Mr F seem like the epitome of perfection ;-)
do you not have an annual test your car has to go through for defects
otherwise you cannot keep it on the road?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...Mot/DG_4022109

Mr F looks like this:
http://static.cargurus.com/images/si...pic-18177.jpeg

I do not need a newer or better car. He's perfect for my needs in every
way. Not so new that I mind terribly if a bag of chicken food splits as I
am getting it out and not so old that I am afraid to go out in him in case
he breaks down.
He is more than reliable, starts first time every time, sips petrol rather
than guzzles it (very important in the UK) and I would have been gutted had
I had to part with him to get an automatic.
I don't have an image thing going on about driving an older car either, like
some of my neighbours do.

Tweed

Old June 21st 11, 09:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"CatNipped" wrote in message
We bought a used car and haven't used it since almost the minute we got it
(we repaired it a couple of times, but the last time it died it just
wasn't worth the money it would take to fix it). Our, fairly new - 5-6 yo
truck still runs just fine, but not only does it get lousy mileage, it has
*NO* shock absorbers so it's pure torture for me to ride in. Of all the
bad decisions in my life, and I've made some doozies, that truck is in the
top five.

Oh dear. My secret about buying used cars is to buy them privately from
very old people who have recently had to give up driving. I got my last two
like that. Mr F and the one before that, a Renault 5 called Compost who
also lasted me years.
The reason I do this is that they are usually very low mileage and have been
well looked after, not raced about in and are kept well serviced (no elderly
person would risk being dumped by their car)
I then keep them well serviced myself and it works for me.

Tweed

Old June 21st 11, 09:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Christina Websell wrote:
wrote in message
Joy wrote:

[...]

Dunno about the UK, but here, if it's old enough, you can simply make a
few cosmetic "restorations". and call it a "classic car". (There are
plenty of Model T Fords still on the road - finding parts can be a
problem, but they still run fine and take less gas than their later
relatives.)
Old June 21st 11, 09:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Adrian" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:

"Adrian" wrote in message

My s i l will take me to the bank tomorrow. It's of minor importance
me, since I DROVE Mr F! OK, not far.But he has been languishing on my
drive
since March. June has driven me out in him twice so he does not die.
He is
such a good car. Starts first time still, every time. He is elderly,
but
he is reliable. Mr F rocks.
Tweed

It will be nice when you can get back to driving him yourself, without
pain, it sounds like it won't be too much longer.
--
Adrian

I drove to the supermarket today just to see if I could. It was really too
far although only 2 miles for the amount of gear changes I had to do. When
I got there I made sure to get a parking space I did not have to reverse out
of and I was a bit afraid I might have to phone my brother to say "come and
get me and drive Mr F home"
My pride would not let me, and I did get home but I won't be doing it again
soon.
I am running before I can walk in the effort to be independent again.

Tweed

Old June 21st 11, 09:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

[...]

Much as I love Mr F, it will be many years before he can become a "classic
car."
I like to think he's a modern classic ;-)

Tweed

Old June 21st 11, 10:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:
So, fresh from my hydro and my physio not talking about her holidays, I
got
into him, and drove him 50 yards down the road, turned him round and
reversed him back into my drive. It did hurt me a lot and I could not have
gone further, tbh, but it gives me real hope now.

Oh and whilst we're swopping bank horror stories- Let's just say

FANTASTIC NEWS! (And indeed Mr F Rocks!)

_______

Indeed he does!
Ah, the debit card. Claire drove me to my bank this morning to see if I
could get it back from being swallowed. Apparently not. I have to have a
new one issued and will take up to 5 working days. They were very nice and
offered me the use of their phone to report it "lost or stolen"
It is not lost or stolen, the """" atm did not give me my requested cash so
I didn't take my card out when it poked itself out and it got swallowed for
ever.
Never mind, I still have a cheque book so I got some cash out from my bank
to last me. I had to take my passport to prove it was me. The fact I know
my bank account number off by heart is not enough.
I pay my subscription to news.individual.net via the lost card too. sigh
I wonder where these swallowed cards go. The bank says they have to be
destroyed, but it's best I cancel it, so I did.
Tweed

Old June 21st 11, 10:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christina Websell wrote:

wrote in message

I have a 1997 Corolla, which I bought in 2002. It has over 200K miles on
it, has a side-view mirror held on with duct tape, a seatbelt that
requires
a major ritual in order to put it on and take it off every time I drive, a
sun visor with a hole in it, so that the powdery stuff inside it rains out
every time I move it. (I tried duct tape on that, but the intense sunlight
through the windshield melted the glue.) I'm not willing to spend money to
repair or replace those things. I also have an unusuable spare tire, which
I am willing to replace, but haven't gotten around to it. Yeah, I know.

Blimey.. makes Mr F seem like the epitome of perfection ;-)

For all that, it doesn't look too bad. A bit banged up, but it doesn't
look like it's on the way to the junk heap or anything.

do you not have an annual test your car has to go through for defects
otherwise you cannot keep it on the road?

You know, we don't really have that in California. They do in Massachusetts,
though. So I guess it depends on the state.

Once a year we have to re-register the car, which is mainly about getting
the annual payment in on time. Every alternate year, we have to get emissions
tested for pollutants. So far, I've passed every time. I guess they don't
care about the appearance of the car as long as it operates safely. The duct
tape holding on the side-view mirror looks decidedly unglamorous, but the
mirror still works.

Mr F looks like this:
http://static.cargurus.com/images/si...pic-18177.jpeg

Oh, a hatchback! I'm jealous. I used to drive hatchbacks, but they get
harder and harder to find. Nowadays if people need to carry large stuff
around, they get an SUV. I wouldn't buy one of those - too expensive and
not very fuel efficient. Plus when you drive one, everyone on the road
hates you. And I don't need a pickup truck! But sometimes I'd like to
be able to throw my bicycle in the back, or maybe buy a medium-sized piece
of furniture and cart it home myself - that kind of stuff. Hatchbacks are
perfect for that, and they can be very efficient cars. I used to own a
Toyota Tercel, back when they were hatchbacks. I've been eyeing different
low-end cars, because at some point I will need to replace mine and I'd
like to have some idea of what to start looking for. I know Volkswagen still
makes hatchbacks.

Anyway, Mr. F looks great - very shiny and new-looking.

I don't have an image thing going on about driving an older car either, like
some of my neighbours do.

An older, less-fancy looking car is a lot less interesting to car thieves.

Joyce

--
The Internet is on computers now! -- Homer Simpson
Old June 21st 11, 10:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"MaryL" wrote in message
. ..

"hopitus" wrote in message

On Jun 20, 11:57 am, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
After hydrotherapy today - which went better than last week, I decided my
car, Mr F, was not parked quite as I like him to be, on my drive. Like
June
left him. It's difficult to get into my drive as there is not a drop
kerb
in front so I have to go up my neighbour's one and do a skilful reverse
turn.
He was what my grandfather called "skew-whiff" - not straight.
So, fresh from my hydro and my physio not talking about her holidays, I
got
into him, and drove him 50 yards down the road, turned him round and
reversed him back into my drive. It did hurt me a lot and I could not
have
gone further, tbh, but it gives me real hope now.

The bad news is that the bank machine ate my card. I have heard of it
happening before, but it never happened to me.
Their machine said the transanction is completed and no money came out.
was reluctant to remove my card as no money came out and I thought if I
put
it in again it would think I took twice the amount. No money came out
and
the machine swallowed my card for ever.
I went into the shop to explain and ask them to get it out. Apparently
they
can't so I have no access to my money.
I am just so lucky irony No sooner does something go right than
something goes wrong.
My sister in law lent me a tenner..
How embarrassing is that?

Tweed

- - - - - - - - - -

Congrats on being able to drive, even if only for a short distance.

Concerning the bank card: Something similar happened to my sister. Those
machines will eat your card unless you remove it very quickly. I don't
know if the process is similar in the UK as the policy in the US, but my
sister found that she could not get a replacement card from the location
where it was "eaten" because that is a branch bank. Instead, she had to
go to the central bank ("headquarters") and fill out an explanation and
request for a new card. She received a replacement in about two weeks.

I had to do this as my card is gone for ever apparently. I don't understand
why someone cannot open the machine and send it back in the post to me next
time they do this.
The machine was faulty.
I do understand how to use my card since I've had it for years. The
suggestion was it was my fault.
Yeah, right.

Tweed

Old June 21st 11, 10:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_5_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

LOL! Actually that is *exactly* what Ben did - I guess it's just my fate to
have that little rain cloud floating above my head.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/