OT - How Old Am I Game

Old August 2nd 11, 06:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default OT - How Old Am I Game

"CatNipped" wrote in message
On 8/1/2011 7:44 PM, Joy wrote:
wrote in message
I'm so old I still shake the milk carton before pouring?

How old are you? ;

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

I'm so old I still talk about 'dialing' a phone number. Not only that, I
remember when phone numbers had letter prefixes.

Joy

Oh gosh, me too - our exchange was "EdgeField" - I have no idea where or
what "Edgefield" was, it certainly wasn't the suburb we were living in,
"Chalmette".

I love this game, it brings back some great memories.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

Yes, thanks for starting the game. Our prefix was ANgelus - not too
surprising, since we were in East Los Angeles. Later it was changed to
something that started with PA, but I can't remember what it was. Of
course, this was before area codes.

Joy

Old August 2nd 11, 06:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"CatNipped" wrote in message
On 8/1/2011 8:28 PM, Cheryl wrote:
On 8/1/2011 8:31 PM, CatNipped wrote:

I'm so old I still shake the milk carton before pouring?

How old are you? ;

I'm old enough to remember having to position a portable cassette
recorder next to the radio to record my favorite songs. I'd get mad when
the DJ talked over the song. Yes there were records, but no way to get
them to be portable.

45RPM and 33.5RPM (there was a third 'revolutions per minute' position,
but I never used it and can't remember what it was for). I loved the
vinyl records (I still say "album" rather than CD), scratches and all! I
had a "box" phonograph and I had to put a large plastic center piece over
the middle stem for 45s. It had the latest innovation - it would
automatically click and let down a record onto the turn-table so you could
stack up to 5 or 6 records and kick back and enjoy the tinny sounding love
songs!

Gosh, now I'm thinking about all the great music back then. I keep up
with the current singers and songs and I like most of it (everything
except Rap). But it just seems to me that now-a-days most singers rely
on their looks and on the recording studio to "mix" their voices - it's
rare that a singer can even play an instrument.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

You're a youngster! I remember when all records were 78 RPM. I still had a
couple of albums of 78s until a few years ago, when I sold them.

Joy

Old August 2nd 11, 07:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Joy wrote:

You're a youngster! I remember when all records were 78 RPM. I still had a
couple of albums of 78s until a few years ago, when I sold them.

My mom kept her 78s, too. Unfortunately, she didn't store them very well
and they weren't usable. She had tons of jazz music from the late 40s/early
50s, some of it pretty obscure. They might have been worth money if she'd
taken better care of them.

I'm from the 45 rpm generation. In the late 60s, I bought one 45 per week,
for anywhere from 65 cents to a dollar for a single record. And now, after
all the album-oriented rock, we've come full circle with downloadable songs
for 99 cents each. Works for me.

Oh, and I still say "album".

Joyce

--
The heck with top and bottom -- I want relationships with strangeness
and charm.
Old August 2nd 11, 07:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Patok wrote:

CatNipped wrote:
On 8/1/2011 7:31 PM, CatNipped wrote:

I'm so old I still shake the milk carton before pouring?

How old are you? ;

BTW, are you young enough to need an explanation for that? ;

I'm old enough that I remember when milk came in glass bottles, and
was supposedly pasteurized, but we boiled it nevertheless. But that
was in a different country, and I have no idea why you'd need to shake
the carton in the States. Please explain.

I remember glass bottles (delivered by the milkman, of course, and left
in a rectangular box that sat right outside the door). We didn't boil it,
though - commercial milk was already pasteurized and homogenized by the
time I was growing up. I'm all for pasteurization, but I'm not sure why
homogenization is so important. People routinely shake lots of drinks -
pulpy juices, ciders with sediment at the bottom and so on. Why not milk?

JOyce

Old August 2nd 11, 09:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

On Aug 2, 1:53*am, CatNipped wrote:
There was a thick layer of *cream at the top of each
bottle (my mother would pour most of that off to use in her coffee and
chicory). *You had to shake the bottle to mix it up.

we had silver and gold topped bottles- the gold ones contained milk
from Jersey cows and the cream at the top was the cause of regular
fights between me and my brothers as we all wanted it for our cereal!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old August 2nd 11, 09:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Spock-n-Persephone

On Aug 2, 10:31*am, CatNipped wrote:
I'm so old I still shake the milk carton before pouring?

How old are you? *;

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
See all our masters at: *http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", *maintained by Mark Edwards, at:http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Email: *L(dot)T(dot)Crews(at)comcast(dot)net

tee hee, I'm younger than you, but I'm old enough to remember "party
lines" where a lady (never a man) at the telephone exchange would put
calls through. The telephone exchange was also the post office, so
the lady who ran it knew EVERYTHING about what was happening in the
village.

Tish
Old August 2nd 11, 10:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane

Also, it was delivered to our door, fresh from the dairy, every other
day. *That was also back in the day hen even doctors made house called
to "deliver"! *;

We used to get our milk fresh from the dairy that was a quarter mile
down the road. Fresh and still warm from the cow. We would bring it
home and put it into the pasteurizer that we had at home. Later on
the barn started pasteurizing it first, but not in the early days.

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita
Old August 2nd 11, 03:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

On Aug 2, 2:56*am, CatNipped wrote:

45RPM and 33.5RPM (there was a third 'revolutions per minute' position,
but I never used it and can't remember what it was for). *I

78rpm- it was the records that were ancient even when I was born but
not so ancient that a few of them still weren't around my dad had
quite a few. You used to have to get styli with a needle for them and
a needle for everything else and if you wanted to play them you had to
flick the needle over (or else you would do serious damage to more
modern records as the groove on them was thinner)

Old August 2nd 11, 04:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Art Shapiro

On 8/2/2011 7:27 AM, Lesley Madigan wrote:

78rpm- it was the records that were ancient even when I was born

There was also a "half-speed" 16 2/3 RPM on some players. I don't think
I ever saw an LP of that speed, but understand that they were used where
fidelity wasn't urgent, such as "talking books" for the visually impaired.

Let's not sadly recall the price of postage stamps over the years.

How 'bout UHF televisions where the new UHF band was a dial tuner like a
radio, making it extraordinarily difficult to accurately tune in a channel.

Art

Who wants a new game? (OT) Pat[_2_] Cat anecdotes 1 December 15th 08 01:59 AM
Game OT ollie2 Cat anecdotes 11 April 28th 08 11:04 PM
Cat game Christina Websell Cat anecdotes 3 March 8th 07 10:09 PM
OT Game Bev Cat anecdotes 6 May 19th 06 08:34 PM
My best game so far. Jo Firey Cat anecdotes 3 December 12th 04 04:15 PM