OT - How Old Am I Game

Old August 2nd 11, 05:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

Default OT - How Old Am I Game

On 8/2/2011 12:55 AM, Joy wrote:
wrote in message
On 8/1/2011 8:28 PM, Cheryl wrote:
On 8/1/2011 8:31 PM, CatNipped wrote:

I'm so old I still shake the milk carton before pouring?

How old are you? ;

I'm old enough to remember having to position a portable cassette
recorder next to the radio to record my favorite songs. I'd get mad when
the DJ talked over the song. Yes there were records, but no way to get
them to be portable.

45RPM and 33.5RPM (there was a third 'revolutions per minute' position,
but I never used it and can't remember what it was for). I loved the
vinyl records (I still say "album" rather than CD), scratches and all! I
had a "box" phonograph and I had to put a large plastic center piece over
the middle stem for 45s. It had the latest innovation - it would
automatically click and let down a record onto the turn-table so you could
stack up to 5 or 6 records and kick back and enjoy the tinny sounding love
songs!

Gosh, now I'm thinking about all the great music back then. I keep up
with the current singers and songs and I like most of it (everything
except Rap). But it just seems to me that now-a-days most singers rely
on their looks and on the recording studio to "mix" their voices - it's
rare that a singer can even play an instrument.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

You're a youngster! I remember when all records were 78 RPM. I still had a
couple of albums of 78s until a few years ago, when I sold them.

Joy

Ah, *that* was the other setting, of course! Thanks from the reminder!
Did you get a lot for them, if they were in mint condition I bet they
would have been worth a fortune!

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Old August 2nd 11, 05:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 8/2/2011 9:27 AM, Lesley Madigan wrote:
On Aug 2, 2:56 am, wrote:

45RPM and 33.5RPM (there was a third 'revolutions per minute' position,
but I never used it and can't remember what it was for). I

78rpm- it was the records that were ancient even when I was born but
not so ancient that a few of them still weren't around my dad had
quite a few. You used to have to get styli with a needle for them and
a needle for everything else and if you wanted to play them you had to
flick the needle over (or else you would do serious damage to more
modern records as the groove on them was thinner)

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Oh thanks for that info - I do member being about to flip my needle but
I never knew why!

Old August 2nd 11, 05:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 8/2/2011 10:05 AM, Art Shapiro wrote:
On 8/2/2011 7:27 AM, Lesley Madigan wrote:

78rpm- it was the records that were ancient even when I was born

There was also a "half-speed" 16 2/3 RPM on some players. I don't think
I ever saw an LP of that speed, but understand that they were used where
fidelity wasn't urgent, such as "talking books" for the visually impaired.

Let's not sadly recall the price of postage stamps over the years.

How 'bout UHF televisions where the new UHF band was a dial tuner like a
radio, making it extraordinarily difficult to accurately tune in a channel.

Art

Oh costs - that's not as much fun to remember. I remember getting
gasoline for $0.27 a gallon! Of course everything's relative, when it
gets down to it we pay more per gallon for milk and *water* than we do
gas - we just don't used as much of it.

Old August 2nd 11, 05:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 8/2/2011 3:39 AM, Spock-n-Persephone wrote:
On Aug 2, 10:31 am, wrote:
I'm so old I still shake the milk carton before pouring?

How old are you? ;

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

tee hee, I'm younger than you, but I'm old enough to remember "party
lines" where a lady (never a man) at the telephone exchange would put
calls through. The telephone exchange was also the post office, so
the lady who ran it knew EVERYTHING about what was happening in the
village.

Tish

Yep remember that busy-body. We used to make up things for her to tell
- we ruined her credibility for a least a little time until people got
on to what we were doing. ;

Old August 2nd 11, 06:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Lesley Madigan wrote:

On Aug 2, 2:56*am, CatNipped wrote:

45RPM and 33.5RPM (there was a third 'revolutions per minute' position,
but I never used it and can't remember what it was for). *I

78rpm- it was the records that were ancient even when I was born but
not so ancient that a few of them still weren't around my dad had
quite a few. You used to have to get styli with a needle for them and
a needle for everything else and if you wanted to play them you had to
flick the needle over (or else you would do serious damage to more
modern records as the groove on them was thinner)

Remember 16 rpm? That never really caught on, but I remember a period of
time when turntables had that option.

Joyce

--
Who ever thought up the word "Mammogram"? Every time I hear it, I think
I'm supposed to put my breast in an envelope and send it to someone.
Old August 2nd 11, 07:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Spock-n-Persephone" wrote in message
On Aug 2, 10:31 am, CatNipped wrote:
I'm so old I still shake the milk carton before pouring?

How old are you? ;

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards,
at:http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

tee hee, I'm younger than you, but I'm old enough to remember "party
lines" where a lady (never a man) at the telephone exchange would put
calls through. The telephone exchange was also the post office, so
the lady who ran it knew EVERYTHING about what was happening in the
village.

Tish

***

Here (in the U.S.) having a "party line" meant that more than one phone was
on the same line. You might pick up a phone and hear someone else's
conversation. Or they might pick up and hear yours. We didn't have to go
through an exchange, though. We could dial the number we wanted, unless we
were calling long distance.

Joy

Old August 2nd 11, 07:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Jane" wrote in message

Also, it was delivered to our door, fresh from the dairy, every other
day. That was also back in the day hen even doctors made house called
to "deliver"! ;

We used to get our milk fresh from the dairy that was a quarter mile
down the road. Fresh and still warm from the cow. We would bring it
home and put it into the pasteurizer that we had at home. Later on
the barn started pasteurizing it first, but not in the early days.

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita

***

We had milk delivered for a few years, but when we visited my grandparents'
small farm, it was a different story. They had owned a dairy at one time,
and still had three cows. I got to help Grandpa milk the cows, and watched
Grandma pour the milk into a separator to separate the cream from the milk.
I even had a turn at the churn, making butter out of the cream. That butter
and cream were nothing like what we get nowadays. The butter was so dark
yellow it was almost orange, instead of the pale, anemic stuff we get
nowadays, and the cream was so thick that, when we brought some home with us
and Mama put it in a cream pitcher, it sometimes had to be spooned into the
coffee, because it was too thick to pour.

Joy

Old August 2nd 11, 07:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Lesley Madigan" wrote in message
On Aug 2, 2:56 am, CatNipped wrote:

45RPM and 33.5RPM (there was a third 'revolutions per minute' position,
but I never used it and can't remember what it was for). I

78rpm- it was the records that were ancient even when I was born but
not so ancient that a few of them still weren't around my dad had
quite a few. You used to have to get styli with a needle for them and
a needle for everything else and if you wanted to play them you had to
flick the needle over (or else you would do serious damage to more
modern records as the groove on them was thinner)

Lesley

***

Yup. And every so often you had to replace the needle.

Joy

Old August 2nd 11, 07:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Art Shapiro" wrote in message
On 8/2/2011 7:27 AM, Lesley Madigan wrote:

78rpm- it was the records that were ancient even when I was born

There was also a "half-speed" 16 2/3 RPM on some players. I don't think I
ever saw an LP of that speed, but understand that they were used where
fidelity wasn't urgent, such as "talking books" for the visually impaired.

Let's not sadly recall the price of postage stamps over the years.

Yes, let's. All the time I was growing up, and well beyond, it cost 3 cents
to mail a letter and one cent for a postcard. Another thing that seemed as
though it would always be the same was the price of gold - $32 an ounce.

How 'bout UHF televisions where the new UHF band was a dial tuner like a
radio, making it extraordinarily difficult to accurately tune in a
channel.

Art

I guess they had that worked out by the time we got a TV. My parents didn't
get one until after I was married, and we'd been married a year when we got
our first one.

Joy

Old August 2nd 11, 07:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"CatNipped" wrote in message
On 8/2/2011 12:55 AM, Joy wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

I don't remember now. I'm sure it was more than I'd paid for them, but it
wasn't a huge amount. I sold them to the son of a friend.

I did keep one, though. It might be worth something. It's a Dixieland
record by Teddy Buckner, and it's autographed. I don't know how well known
Teddy Buckner was; he may have been local. My husband used to go hear him
sometimes before we were married. Many years later we went to Disneyland
and Teddy Buckner was performing in one of the outdoor venues. During a
break my husband went up and told him about going to hear him in the old
days. I think it made Teddy's day. He was probably in his 80s then.

Joy

Joy

Who wants a new game? (OT) Pat[_2_] Cat anecdotes 1 December 15th 08 02:59 AM
Game OT ollie2 Cat anecdotes 11 April 28th 08 11:04 PM
Cat game Christina Websell Cat anecdotes 3 March 8th 07 11:09 PM
OT Game Bev Cat anecdotes 6 May 19th 06 08:34 PM
My best game so far. Jo Firey Cat anecdotes 3 December 12th 04 05:15 PM