CRF and omega-3 EPA supplements

Old November 12th 05, 05:16 PM
5cats

Default CRF and omega-3 EPA supplements

(my question is at the bottom of this post)

I found this abstract on PubMed of a recent study of diet for CRF cats --
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?
cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=161 00367&query_hl=8
or (same article) http://tinyurl.com/ac9wq

========
Retrospective study of the survival of cats with acquired chronic renal
insufficiency offered different commercial diets.

Plantinga EA, Everts H, Kastelein AM, Beynen AC.

Department of Nutrition, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Utrecht
University, The Netherlands.

A retrospective study was carried out on the efficacy of seven commercial
diets designed to be fed to cats with chronic renal failure. The median
survival time of 175 cats that received conventional diets was seven
months, whereas the median survival time of 146 cats given one of the
seven diets was 16 months. The cats on the most effective of the diets
had a median survival time of 23 months and those on the least effective
diet had a median survival time of 12 months. The composition of the
seven diets was comparable, except that the most effective diet had a
particularly high content of eicosapentaenoic acid.

PMID: 16100367 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
================

Does anyone here (Phil? Steve?) know just what level of EPA they used in
the study?

Old November 12th 05, 05:55 PM
Phil P.

"5cats" wrote in message
[...]

"the most effective of the diets" (median survival time of 23 months)
contained 125 mg EPA/100 kcal. (Hills k/d canned).

"and those on the least effective diet had a median survival time of 12
months."

Walthams low phosphorus/protein dry. None detected!

Send me you're email addy.

Phil

Old November 12th 05, 06:14 PM
Steve Crane

5cats wrote:
(my question is at the bottom of this post)
Does anyone here (Phil? Steve?) know just what level of EPA they used in
the study?

Phil already gave you the EPA levels. One caution here, simply adding
EPA to any diet will not yield the same results. Beyond EPA levels,
phosphorus levels, potassium levels and a myriad of other nutrients
must be considered. While it is easily possible to add EPA to just
about anything - doing so will not yield the same results.

This is one area where Phil and I disagree. He believes k/d has
insufficient protein levels and recommends x/d or g/d. I disagree.
There is support for both positions in the literature. Grade 1 Evidence
Based Medicine clinical trials supports the use of k/d in CRF cats and
clearly shows extended life for cats on k/d.

Old November 12th 05, 06:22 PM
5cats

Steve Crane wrote:

5cats wrote:
(my question is at the bottom of this post)
Does anyone here (Phil? Steve?) know just what level of EPA they used

in
the study?

Phil already gave you the EPA levels. One caution here, simply adding
EPA to any diet will not yield the same results. Beyond EPA levels,
phosphorus levels, potassium levels and a myriad of other nutrients
must be considered. While it is easily possible to add EPA to just
about anything - doing so will not yield the same results.

This is one area where Phil and I disagree. He believes k/d has
insufficient protein levels and recommends x/d or g/d. I disagree.
There is support for both positions in the literature. Grade 1 Evidence
Based Medicine clinical trials supports the use of k/d in CRF cats and
clearly shows extended life for cats on k/d.

Thanks Steve. My cat is already eating k/d. Do you think there's any harm
in adding some EPA to what she's already getting in her diet?

Old November 12th 05, 06:51 PM
5cats

Phil P. wrote:

"the most effective of the diets" (median survival time of 23 months)
contained 125 mg EPA/100 kcal. (Hills k/d canned).

That's very good to know, she's on K/D now.

Email sent, Thanks!

Old November 13th 05, 12:40 AM
5cats

Phil P. wrote:

"the most effective of the diets" (median survival time of 23 months)
contained 125 mg EPA/100 kcal. (Hills k/d canned).

"and those on the least effective diet had a median survival time of 12
months."

Walthams low phosphorus/protein dry. None detected!

Send me you're email addy.

Phil

Hi Phil,

I got your email, I hope you are getting my replies.

1. Looking at the Hills site, it looks like it's 125mg /100 kcal total
omega-3s in K/d, they don't list a specific number for EPA.

2. I read over what you sent and it seems like k/d didn't actually
produce the best results, rather Leo FKW did. Am I reading something
incorrectly?

thanks!
5cats

Old November 13th 05, 02:27 AM
Phil P.

"5cats" wrote in message
Phil P. wrote:

"the most effective of the diets" (median survival time of 23 months)
contained 125 mg EPA/100 kcal. (Hills k/d canned).

"and those on the least effective diet had a median survival time of 12
months."

Walthams low phosphorus/protein dry. None detected!

Send me you're email addy.

Phil

Hi Phil,

I got your email, I hope you are getting my replies.

Yes I have.

1. Looking at the Hills site, it looks like it's 125mg /100 kcal total
omega-3s in K/d, they don't list a specific number for EPA.

Look at Box 1 in the study- it lists the EPA content of the diets.

2. I read over what you sent and it seems like k/d didn't actually
produce the best results, rather Leo FKW did. Am I reading something
incorrectly?

You're right. I looked over the study again and saw the diets weren't listed
in order of efficacy as I thought.

I don't think Leo FKW is even available in the US.

Phil

Old November 13th 05, 03:21 AM
5cats

Phil P. wrote:

2. I read over what you sent and it seems like k/d didn't actually
produce the best results, rather Leo FKW did. Am I reading something
incorrectly?

You're right. I looked over the study again and saw the diets weren't
listed in order of efficacy as I thought.

I don't think Leo FKW is even available in the US.

If my conversion is right, the EPA in Leo works out to about 197mg of EPA
/ 100 kcal.

My cat is eating somewhere around 200 kcal / day. So theoreticaly, she
might need about 400mg EPA a day, with 360mg being the amount in some of
the common human supplements. She'd gladly take more, she cleans the
plate when it's offered, I'm inclined to indulge her so long as there's
no evidence that's it's harmful.

(Some of the human studies for EPA/Omega-3 in other diseases were using
pretty high levels without apparant ill effect)

Old November 13th 05, 01:06 PM
Phil P.

"5cats" wrote in message
Phil P. wrote:

2. I read over what you sent and it seems like k/d didn't actually
produce the best results, rather Leo FKW did. Am I reading something
incorrectly?

You're right. I looked over the study again and saw the diets weren't
listed in order of efficacy as I thought.

I don't think Leo FKW is even available in the US.

If my conversion is right, the EPA in Leo works out to about 197mg of EPA
/ 100 kcal.

My cat is eating somewhere around 200 kcal / day. So theoreticaly, she
might need about 400mg EPA a day, with 360mg being the amount in some of
the common human supplements. She'd gladly take more, she cleans the
plate when it's offered, I'm inclined to indulge her so long as there's
no evidence that's it's harmful.

As a matter of fact, there is. There was a study in the Compendium for
Continuing Education
for the Practicing Veterinarian by Dr. Jean Hall:
Potential Adverse Effects of Long-Term Consumption of (n-3) Fatty Acids.

If you can't find it, I'll try to dig it out.

Old November 13th 05, 03:53 PM
Steve Crane

5cats wrote:
Steve Crane wrote:

Thanks Steve. My cat is already eating k/d. Do you think there's any harm
in adding some EPA to what she's already getting in her diet?

5cats,
Like anything in life - you can always add too much of a good
thing, even plain old water. Neither do I think you would cause great
harm as long as what you added was very judicisous. I always fear that
people will assume if 1 part of something is good that 2 parts or ten
parts must always be even better. I also doubt you would gain anything
by adding additional EPA.