Yes, there *are* cat-friendly landlords

Old April 17th 06, 04:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Yes, there *are* cat-friendly landlords

When Nancy and I were looking for a rental property 4 years ago (it's hard
to believe we've been here this long) we had an awful time finding a place
that was big enough for us and would allow our three (at that time)
kitties. We were delighted to finally find this place.

We're in one unit of a four-unit complex, arranged as two duplexes. Both
units in the other building are now vacant, and the the other unit in our
building will be vacant in a month or so. I was talking to the landlord
last week and learned his plans regarding the vacant units.

John knows that we are feeding two outside kitties in addition to our
indoor fur-family. He says that he is going to give preference to other
kitty-families when screening other potential renters
Old April 17th 06, 04:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Dan M wrote:
When Nancy and I were looking for a rental property 4 years ago (it's hard
to believe we've been here this long) we had an awful time finding a place
that was big enough for us and would allow our three (at that time)
kitties. We were delighted to finally find this place.

We're in one unit of a four-unit complex, arranged as two duplexes. Both
units in the other building are now vacant, and the the other unit in our
building will be vacant in a month or so. I was talking to the landlord
last week and learned his plans regarding the vacant units.

John knows that we are feeding two outside kitties in addition to our
indoor fur-family. He says that he is going to give preference to other
kitty-families when screening other potential renters

Wow! That's wonderful. I hope you get many interesting new kitty
neighbours. My landlord is pretty good, too. He didn't baulk when I said
I had three cats (at the time), and when I asked if I could build an
enclosure in the garden, he said go right ahead.

Old April 17th 06, 05:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Dan M wrote:
When Nancy and I were looking for a rental property 4 years ago (it's
hard to believe we've been here this long) we had an awful time
finding a place that was big enough for us and would allow our three
(at that time) kitties. We were delighted to finally find this place.

We're in one unit of a four-unit complex, arranged as two duplexes.
Both units in the other building are now vacant, and the the other
unit in our building will be vacant in a month or so. I was talking
to the landlord last week and learned his plans regarding the vacant
units.

John knows that we are feeding two outside kitties in addition to our
indoor fur-family. He says that he is going to give preference to
other kitty-families when screening other potential renters

Hope you get some cat-friendly neighbors soon! I used to work with a woman
who tried to get an apartment in this complex but when she told the
apartment manager she had five cats she was told no.

But the thing is, this woman was a nutcase. She used to use her cats as an
excuse to not show up for work. She'd call and say one of her cats escaped,
or she tripped over her cat and hurt herself. After she was fired she
started calling her old extension at the office and leaving obscene messages
for the poor new guy who inherited her old phone number. And when she came
to pick up her stuff at the office she brought a police escort because she
said she felt "threatened". Huh? Yeah, she was a nut. I'm glad the
apartment manager spotted that.

Jill

Old April 17th 06, 05:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

[...]

If it takes only five cats to be a nut, with seven I must be a nut tree
then.

Old April 17th 06, 05:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Pat" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I belong in a padded room if that was true :-)

Old April 17th 06, 05:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Pat wrote:
[...]

But Pat, I'll bet you never called and harrassed some poor guy you'd never
met who simply inherited your phone number by the luck of the draw at the
office, did you? I mean, it was really rude, foul stuff she was saying.
F*** me! Give me that big hard ****. Stuff like that. And the poor guy
was like, "OH MY GOD! You guys, listen to this!" Her voice was very
distinctive; we all knew immediately who it was. We felt so sorry for him.

It wasn't the cats that made her nuts. I felt sorry for the cats, too.
Wouldn't have wanted her for a neighbor, cats or no cats.

Jill

Old April 17th 06, 06:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

But Pat, I'll bet you never called and harrassed some poor guy you'd never
met who simply inherited your phone number by the luck of the draw at the
office, did you? I mean, it was really rude, foul stuff she was saying.
F*** me! Give me that big hard ****.

I don't know too many guys who would take offense at hearing that from a
woman....

Old April 17th 06, 07:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Dan M wrote:

John knows that we are feeding two outside kitties in addition to our
indoor fur-family. He says that he is going to give preference to other
kitty-families when screening other potential renters

Yay! He sounds like a nice guy.

Around here, it seems that when someplace allows pets, every tenant in
the building has a pet (or more than one). My building is like that.
Like yours, it's a small building, 4 units. Everyone has pets. Among
us all, we have 7 cats and two dogs.

Ironically, when I was apartment-hunting and saw the ad for this place,
it said "no pets"! I was undeterred, though, as I had learned that "no
pets" usually means no *dogs*. I came to see the place anyway, and when
I asked about cats, they said it would be fine. Turned out that everyone
else in the building already had pets, so why did they even bother to
put that in the ad? Maybe it was a mistake.

The apartment complex I lived in before I moved here allowed cats, too.
The apartment manager was a cat lover herself, and had two. She even
took care of our cat when we went out of town. The courtyard usually
had a few kitties wandering around - it was a great place for them, full
of grass, trees, and various creepy crawlies to chase around.

A friend of mine owns a building and rents out one of the apartments.
She won't even rent to someone who doesn't have a pet, since it's so
hard for people who do have them to find a place, so she wants to give
them priority.

Joyce
Old April 17th 06, 10:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Dan M wrote:
When Nancy and I were looking for a rental property 4 years ago (it's
hard to believe we've been here this long) we had an awful time
finding a place that was big enough for us and would allow our three
(at that time) kitties. We were delighted to finally find this place.

We're in one unit of a four-unit complex, arranged as two duplexes.
Both units in the other building are now vacant, and the the other
unit in our building will be vacant in a month or so. I was talking
to the landlord last week and learned his plans regarding the vacant
units.

John knows that we are feeding two outside kitties in addition to our
indoor fur-family. He says that he is going to give preference to
other kitty-families when screening other potential renters

That's great news! Maybe you'll be able to introduce the new renters to
rpca. :-)
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.