Cats and Milk

Old January 7th 07, 01:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Default Cats and Milk

I know I've posted about this before but just curious. I keep hearing that
milk is bad for cats, yet I grew up hearing about "cats and cream" (or
milk). I know lots of people buy special "milk" for cats; goats milk and
soy milk. When Persia first came to me I asked the vet about giving Persia
milk. He said no problem, just not in large quantities. It's the one
"treat" I can give her.

I drink low-fat milk. When Persia sees the milk jug come out of the
refrigerator she starts yowling until I pour a couple of tablespoonfuls in a
bowl for her. She's never had any adverse reactions to milk.

How about your cats?

Jill

Old January 7th 07, 01:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dewi

I've never had problems with my adult cats drinking milk. Kittens tend
to get the "runs", but they seem to grow out of it. I give my cats eggy
- milk which they love. It's they're second favourite treat after roo
mince.

Dewi

Old January 7th 07, 02:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kilikini

Dewi wrote:
I've never had problems with my adult cats drinking milk. Kittens tend
to get the "runs", but they seem to grow out of it. I give my cats
eggy - milk which they love. It's they're second favourite treat
after roo mince.

Dewi

My cats won't touch eggs, but my rats love it!

kili
--
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini

Old January 7th 07, 02:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

many different cats, every reaction from hurking up to diarrhea to just huge
loud purrs. I think its like people, some can drink it some can't, Lee

Old January 7th 07, 02:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

jmcquown wrote:
I know I've posted about this before but just curious. I keep
hearing that milk is bad for cats, yet I grew up hearing about "cats
and cream" (or milk). I know lots of people buy special "milk" for
cats; goats milk and soy milk. When Persia first came to me I asked
the vet about giving Persia milk. He said no problem, just not in
large quantities. It's the one "treat" I can give her.

I drink low-fat milk. When Persia sees the milk jug come out of the
refrigerator she starts yowling until I pour a couple of
tablespoonfuls in a bowl for her. She's never had any adverse
reactions to milk.

How about your cats?

Jill

It's the milk sugar, lactose, that is bad for some cats, giving them the
runs. The lactose is removed for milk commercially produced for cats.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old January 7th 07, 02:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dewi

kilikini wrote:
Dewi wrote:
I've never had problems with my adult cats drinking milk. Kittens tend
to get the "runs", but they seem to grow out of it. I give my cats
eggy - milk which they love. It's they're second favourite treat
after roo mince.

Dewi

My cats won't touch eggs, but my rats love it!

kili
--
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini

Did you get some more rats. Last I read you had the one.
My rats sometimes eat boiled eggs, but never tried raw eggs on them.

Dewi

Old January 7th 07, 02:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dewi

Adrian A wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
[...]

The lactose free milk produced for human is actually cheaper than the
cat milk. I use to buy this for my critters when they were kittens.

Dewi

Old January 7th 07, 03:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kilikini

Dewi wrote:
kilikini wrote:
Dewi wrote:
I've never had problems with my adult cats drinking milk. Kittens
tend to get the "runs", but they seem to grow out of it. I give my
cats eggy - milk which they love. It's they're second favourite
treat after roo mince.

Dewi

My cats won't touch eggs, but my rats love it!

kili

Did you get some more rats. Last I read you had the one.
My rats sometimes eat boiled eggs, but never tried raw eggs on them.

Dewi

We got Mickey a buddy we call Phideaux (Fido). He's white with grey spots
and the two snuggle and play furiously. It's cute to watch and the cats are
transfixed! They sniff noses through the cage - absolutely harmless, thank
goodness!

kili

Old January 7th 07, 05:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"jmcquown" wrote in message
I know I've posted about this before but just curious. I keep hearing that
milk is bad for cats, yet I grew up hearing about "cats and cream" (or
milk). I know lots of people buy special "milk" for cats; goats milk and
soy milk. When Persia first came to me I asked the vet about giving
Persia
milk. He said no problem, just not in large quantities. It's the one
"treat" I can give her.

I drink low-fat milk. When Persia sees the milk jug come out of the
refrigerator she starts yowling until I pour a couple of tablespoonfuls in
bowl for her. She's never had any adverse reactions to milk.

How about your cats?

Jill

I just figure they don't need it, and I know it can make kittens sick
sometimes. I've never had a cat that seemed all that interested anyway.
But if I'm sharing quarters with a cat, I don't want to risk something that
"might" give them the runs.

Jo

Old January 7th 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
I know I've posted about this before but just curious. I keep hearing that
milk is bad for cats, yet I grew up hearing about "cats and cream" (or
milk). I know lots of people buy special "milk" for cats; goats milk and
soy milk. When Persia first came to me I asked the vet about giving
Persia
milk. He said no problem, just not in large quantities. It's the one
"treat" I can give her.

I drink low-fat milk. When Persia sees the milk jug come out of the
refrigerator she starts yowling until I pour a couple of tablespoonfuls in
bowl for her. She's never had any adverse reactions to milk.

How about your cats?

Both mine *love* milk, but even though I buy skimmed milk for myself, it
still gives KFC the squits.
They love that "cat milk" that can be bought in little tiny bottles for a
huge sum. However I have discovered that I can buy lactose free milk for
humans at the big supermarket nearby. I can get a litre of it for pounds
1.25 (two dollars-ish ) Just two of those little special kitty bottles
would cost nearly the same.
It seems to be suiting them just fine.
As my grandmother always used to say "I'm not so green as I am
cabbage-looking!" I can smell a con a mile off.

Tweed