Wood ash for cat litter?

Old February 22nd 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Wood ash for cat litter?

Sometimes, if her litter tray is not quite as pristine as she would like
(this is the tray she only pees in), KFC will use the brass tray that I put
under my woodburner that catches the ash that escapes when I load it up.
She seems to use ash as happily as litter.
So..does anyone know of any reason why I could not use wood ash in her
litterbox?
I am happy to buy litter for her, I don't begrudge her anything she needs,
but if she likes to use wood ash, and I have a regular supply of it, why not
use it? What do you all think?
Number 2 is a different matter. This has to be done in the bathroom in the
litterbox that has wood pellets in it. Until I run out of wood pellet
litter, I won't be getting any more - it is incredibly messy. She digs it
all over the bathroom, if she wees in it it turns to sawdust and gets
trodden all over the house into the carpets.
I have enough to do working 5/7 without spending weekends trying to vacuum
sawdust up from all over the house.
It might work for people who have wooden floors, I seem to remember that
Gordon recommended wood pellet litter . Thanks, Gordon!! Are you good with
a vacuum cleaner? Come over here!

Tweed

Old February 22nd 07, 07:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 19:06:46 +0000, Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

I remember when I was a child my mother tried ashes. In those days, the
cats could go outside in our large backyard. Can you buy Arm & Hammer
Scoop where you are. IMHO it is the best yet. MLB

Old February 22nd 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Debbie Wilson

Christina Websell wrote:

I have enough to do working 5/7 without spending weekends trying to vacuum
sawdust up from all over the house.

Can you get hold of 'Yesterday's News' brand cat litter anywhere nearby?
It is made from pellets of recycled paper and it is far less prone to
becoming dust like the wood pellets. Mine all use it happily.

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old February 22nd 07, 08:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"mlbriggs" wrote in message
news
[...]

No.
Since KFC is already starting to use ashes, my question is since I have a
source of ashes from my woodburner, is this okay to use for her litterbox?

Tweed

Old February 22nd 07, 08:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Debbie Wilson" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

I have enough to do working 5/7 without spending weekends trying to
vacuum
sawdust up from all over the house.

Can you get hold of 'Yesterday's News' brand cat litter anywhere nearby?
It is made from pellets of recycled paper and it is far less prone to
becoming dust like the wood pellets. Mine all use it happily.

But what do you think about using wood ash?

Tweed

Old February 22nd 07, 08:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis

wrote:

Sometimes, if her litter tray is not quite as pristine as she would like
(this is the tray she only pees in), KFC will use the brass tray that I put
under my woodburner that catches the ash that escapes when I load it up.
She seems to use ash as happily as litter.
So..does anyone know of any reason why I could not use wood ash in her
litterbox?

Do you know how to make lye? In the old days it was made by pouring
water through wood ashes. It's also called caustic potash ... nasty
stuff.

--
T.E.D. )
Remove "gearbox.maem." from address - that one is dead
Old February 22nd 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dan M

I can't comment on whether it's healthy for her, but take a look at
http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/bllowe.htm - the first
commercially sold cat litter was wood ash.

Old February 22nd 07, 09:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Christina Websell wrote:

I have enough to do working 5/7 without spending weekends trying to
vacuum
sawdust up from all over the house.

Can you get hold of 'Yesterday's News' brand cat litter anywhere nearby?
It is made from pellets of recycled paper and it is far less prone to
becoming dust like the wood pellets. Mine all use it happily.

But what do you think about using wood ash?

Tweed

I don't know, Tweed, but that's an interesting question. The first
thing I wondered about is whether you'd have a problem with her
tracking ash around the house or if licking it off her paws would be
bad for her.

Sherry

Old February 22nd 07, 10:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

ups.com...

Christina Websell wrote:

I have enough to do working 5/7 without spending weekends trying to
vacuum
sawdust up from all over the house.

Can you get hold of 'Yesterday's News' brand cat litter anywhere
nearby?
It is made from pellets of recycled paper and it is far less prone to
becoming dust like the wood pellets. Mine all use it happily.

But what do you think about using wood ash?

Tweed

I don't know, Tweed, but that's an interesting question. The first
thing I wondered about is whether you'd have a problem with her
tracking ash around the house or if licking it off her paws would be
bad for her.

She tracks the very expensive white litter - the do-it-all-stuff, no smell
etc around downstairs anyway in little crumbs. It's everywhere. On the
table, on every chair and couch. The wood litter is tracked everywhere
upstairs as sawdust.
Wood ash would be easier. If she licked her paws, I doubt it would harm
her. It is only potash. If she could be bothered to lick her paws that
is..

Tweed