Wood ash for cat litter?

Old February 22nd 07, 10:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Wood ash for cat litter?

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
t...
Isn't wood ash + liquid either highly acid or highly alkaline? As in lye.

Jo

Dunno. that's why I'm asking.

Tweed

Old February 22nd 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
t...
Isn't wood ash + liquid either highly acid or highly alkaline? As in

lye.

Jo

Dunno. that's why I'm asking.

Yes, its highly alkaline.

KFC is using the woodash because its most likely the only other place which
has some seblence to cat litter (ie, diggable). However, woodash is highly
alkaline in the presence of moisture. Poor KFC would have this stuff on his
paws, would be ingesting it when he cleans his paws, and would also most
likely be inhaling it whilst he digs in it (not to mention it being tracked
through the house). With a pH of 12, this stuff will actually dissolve
flesh (over time), and is very bad for one's skin.

Woodash is a really *bad* idea for cat litter.

Yowie

Old February 22nd 07, 11:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
[...]

Phew. Recovering from the blast. I was only asking. Kitty is a girlcat,
and she has two litterboxes without having to use woodash. Since she used
it, I just wondered is all. Blimey., calm down please. You make it sound
like there is no other place for my poor cat to use except woodash and this
isn't so. She is at least 21 yo and sometimes she forgets where her proper
boxes are.

Tweed

Old February 23rd 07, 01:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Yowie" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in

message

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry if "blast" was the the way it read, it wasn't written with that
intention.

Also sorry to refer to KFC as a boycat when she's a girlcat.

Yowie

Old February 23rd 07, 01:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood JeepŠ

In ,
Christina Websell purred:
"Yowie" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
[...]

I don't think Yowie was "yelling' at you - just explaining the chemical
properties of wet+wood ash

Old February 23rd 07, 01:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 23:57:10 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

Phew. Recovering from the blast. I was only asking. Kitty is a girlcat,
and she has two litterboxes without having to use woodash. Since she used
it, I just wondered is all. Blimey., calm down please. You make it sound
like there is no other place for my poor cat to use except woodash and this
isn't so. She is at least 21 yo and sometimes she forgets where her proper
boxes are.

There are *always* alternative places: behind furniture, beside the
litter box, in the middle of the living room carpet, your bed, etc.
But even some mostly outdoor cats prefer a reasonable litter box.

--
T.E.D. ) Remove "gearbox.maem" to get real address - that one is dead
Old February 23rd 07, 02:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christina Websell wrote:

"Yowie" wrote:

[...]

Read it again, Tweed - I really don't think she intended anything other
than to give you the facts. Since Yowie is a professional chemist*, I
would trust her answer, but I didn't hear any judgement or criticism in
her response at all. I think you might be overreacting, due to some very
justifiable stress!

Now, referring to KFC as "he" - that was unforgivable! (Just kidding,
Yowie.)

I think this response validates your concern, Tweed. You had a hunch
that it was worth investigating, and it's a good thing you did.

* Yowie: I don't know what your official job title is, but since you
speak authoritatively about chemistry, I assume that you are a chemist,
or something related.

Joyce
Old February 23rd 07, 02:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

"Yowie" wrote:

[...]

Aye, I am an industrial chemist (in paint technology).

Yowie
(I got muddled between KFC and Boyfie)

Old February 23rd 07, 03:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Phew. *Recovering from the blast. *I was only asking. * Kitty is a girlcat,
and she has two litterboxes without having to use woodash. *Since she used
it, I just wondered is all. *Blimey., calm down please. *You make it sound
like there is no other place for my poor cat to use except woodash and this
isn't so. *She is at least 21 yo and sometimes she forgets where her proper
boxes are.

Tweed

Well, I learned something too. I thought it sounded like a great idea
really --Kitty loved it, it sounded like ideal "recycling" to me! I
never knew what to do with that stuff when we had a fireplace.

Sherry

Old February 23rd 07, 04:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"Sherry" wrote in message
oups.com...

Phew. Recovering from the blast. I was only asking. Kitty is a girlcat,
and she has two litterboxes without having to use woodash. Since she used
it, I just wondered is all. Blimey., calm down please. You make it sound
like there is no other place for my poor cat to use except woodash and

this
isn't so. She is at least 21 yo and sometimes she forgets where her proper
boxes are.

Tweed

Well, I learned something too. I thought it sounded like a great idea
really --Kitty loved it, it sounded like ideal "recycling" to me! I
never knew what to do with that stuff when we had a fireplace.

If you have an acidic soil, it is a great thing to put (sparingly- don't
want to make the soil to alkaline either) onto your garden. It contains alot
of calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium and other trace elements
your plants will enjoy.

It is good to grit slippery paths (and kills the algae/slime that grows on
damp paths that makes them slippery)

If made into a paste (with water) wood ashes will also do as a glass & metal
metal cleaner (although I wouldn't use it as *polish* IYSWIM), oven cleaner
and fireplace cleaner believe it or not.

And its good for cleaning those 'water stains' off wooden furniture.

It will keep snails & slugs off the garden beds

And of course, if you want to make soap naturally....

Yowie