[OT] Halloween ettiquette

Old November 1st 04, 08:43 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Apologies if I sound like a killjoy, but here it goes.

Then I'm one too ;-)

I loathe trick or treating. For the rest of the year, children are
discouraged from talking to and accepting sweets from strangers. How
come it all changes around Halloween?

Yup - I agree. Thankfully trick or treat is a custom that hasn't caught on too
much on this side of the pond. We've our own hallowe'en traditions over here -
now largely lost - bobbing for apples... apples on a string...

The bit I honestly find strange is how much hallowe'en is celebrated in the
USA, given it's very much a pagan festival & the States seems to be getting
more & more right-wing Christian, I see a strange contradiction there :-) Over
here we get churches which are more right-wing, evangelical churches going
public about *not* celebrating hallowe'en. Mind you they do try & hijack it as
"All Hallows" claiming it has nothing to do with anything pagan, never existed
in pagan ritual but is an entirely Christian festival.

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old November 1st 04, 11:05 AM
Skippy

Cathi wrote:
Apologies if I sound like a killjoy, but here it goes.

I loathe trick or treating. For the rest of the year, children are
discouraged from talking to and accepting sweets from strangers. How
come it all changes around Halloween?

Earlier tonight I saw the most interesting thing. A local parish built
themselves a new church which just opened this spring, and for Halloween
they had what they were calling a "trunk or treat". A lot of the church
members, 50 or so loaded up their trucks with candy and Halloween decor
and actually decorated their cars in a huge circle around the parking
lot. One even had the prettiest black oriental shorthair and she was
just convinced that she was the most gorgeous thing out and about that
evening. So the kids went from car to car, getting candy and their
pictures taken by everybody, look like lots of fun, and no one on the
roads and most likely very few strangers.

Mike
The early bird gets the worm;
but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese!!
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/skippymjp/my_photos

Old November 1st 04, 11:12 AM
Debbie Wilson

Yowie wrote:
(snip)

Thus we were quite unprepared for the knock on the door with 5 young kids
(all under 10) with no adult supervisor at 8:45pm last night, doing the
"trick or treat" thing. All I could say is "We don't do Halloween, sorry"
and shut the door.

Having been in that position last year, and also having good memories of
going trick-or-treating when I was tiny in the US (I still have my
plastic pumpkin bucket) I got a bag of 'fun-size' chocolate bars in
readiness for Hallowe'en this year. I sadly have to report that we got
not one single knock on the door, and so must eat the chocloate
ourselves. Why *do* they call those titchy small versions of full-size
sweets 'fun', anyway?

Deb.

--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old November 1st 04, 12:43 PM
Victor Martinez

We got about half a dozen groups of kids last night. The first was the
worse, two girls, one a bit too old to be doing it (at least she was in
costume) and both rude! They kept grabbing candy and didn't even say
"trick or treat". Tom was appalled at their rudeness.
The rest of the kids were lovely, particularly a little tyke in Spider
Man jammies who said something like "tweak or tweet"... he was
adorable and he *loved* my carved pumpkin!
We also enjoyed a group of what seemed to be underprivileged kids being
led by a group of college students. They got extra candy!

Victor, who is up for an obscenely early 7am meeting.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he