Can Mosey Have Some Purrs? I Need some too, please

Old March 19th 09, 07:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf

Default Can Mosey Have Some Purrs? I Need some too, please

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 13:57:54 -0700, "Kyla =^..^="
wrote:

For the last few days, my sweet litttle Mosey has had diarrhea, but
otherwise seems fine..he eats, plays, acts normal. This happens only when
we feed him ham and I stopped feending him ham a few days ago and the
'trots' stopped, but yesterday DH gave him some ham and he got the trots
again this morning.. Please purr for the little guy to be okay, I think
he's not happy with the ham.
He feels heavier when I pick him up.

I could also use a few pain purrs for my crappy knees. They hurt so bad, I
can hardly walk and frankly, I'm scared, in tears and I don't know what to
do. With no insurance, there's nothing they will do. I'll be 64 on income
tax day and I never thought getting old could be so painful:/ I pray for
all those in pain and for Brooke too, and Gandalf, Dan, Rob, Pam,
Ginger-lyn, ... all those who are going through horrid troubles.

You've always been so kind to me, and I know there are a lot of folks here
who are in intense pain as well, and you're in my purrs and prayers for
healing too..
So if you could spare a few extra purrs for Mosey and me, we'd really
appreciate it.
Thank you so much. I'm not going to lose my Faith and try and keep an
upbeat attitude, but it's so hard, when you're in this much pain. The meds
aren't helping with it any more either.

Love and thank you
Kyla & Mosey
.

I hope Mosey gets better soon! Tomorrow would be good.

I didn't know ham was bad for cats; I have been giving Kenzie some every
time I make a sandwich. But usually only a small piece.

When Kenzie stopped eating, I was going to try giving her some ham; I
glad I didn't, now!

I hope your knees ease up on you. Maybe with the warmer weather?

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

- Robert Heinlein

Old March 19th 09, 01:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine Burel[_2_]

Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA

Hi Kyla,
To answer your question, yes, I've known that sodium nitrate is bad for cats
and people (!) and that preserved meats including ham are full of it - that
is unless you specifically go to a health food store and get the meats that
have no preservatives (you have to always read ingredients lists).

About your knees - I'm so sorry for your pain - I can't remember what you
said about trying pain meds but I'm guessing you've tried Aleve? If there's
swelling, naproxen sodium (which is what Aleve is) will help with it and it
does last 8-10 hours; I use it at night when I have shoulder pain (you do
have to be upright for 30 minutes at least after taking it so it won't upset
your stomach). Do heat or cold packs help at all? I'd suggest trying
acupuncture to see if it might help also if you can find someone good - I've
been taking my daughter to one since several months to try and alleviate her
migraines and it does help.

purrs,
Christine

"Kyla =^..^=" wrote in message

bastXXXette
snuffy

On Mar 18, 4:57 pm, "Kyla =^..^="

For the last few days, my sweet litttle Mosey has had diarrhea, but
otherwise seems fine..he eats, plays, acts normal. This happens only
when
we feed him ham and I stopped feeding him ham a few days ago and the
'trots' stopped, but yesterday DH gave him some ham and he got the
trots
again this morning.. Please purr for the little guy to be okay, I
think
he's not happy with the ham.
He feels heavier when I pick him up.

Cant understand why you persist in giving your cat ham which is full
of salt and nitrates when it is harmful to him. Bizarre.

I swear, I did NOT know ham was harmful, perhaps deadly to kitties.
I looked on the soduim content on the pkg and OMG, I'm quitting too,
that's what might be making my legs well up and hurt. I never add salt to
anything I eat and eat low/no soduim food, but still, there is salt in
everything:/

Sorry about
your knees. Have you been told what the matter is with them? Does
Tylanol or generic tylanol help? Consider getting a tape from your
library about stregnthening and stretching exercises for seniors and
try to follow it as much as you are able.

Thank you for the idea, but that's impossible at this stage of my legs.
IThe cats love to jump on my artificial knees,,,

If you keep feeding Mosey
ham he might die and then you will really be sad.

I would feel absolutely horrible. Sad would be an understatement.
I would NEVER EVER intentional hurt any of my beloved kitties, and he's
my heart cat'.
I never fed him much ham and I pray I haven't harmed him.

Totally agreed on the ham. Kyla, stop doing it and please ask Dutch not
to give it to him either. Ham is very bad for cats!

Like I said, I swear I did not know ham was bad for cats!!
Neither did Dutch. He was as aghast as I was when I told him about it.
Now I feel like I've hurt my baby

It's obviously not
good for him since it gives him diarrhea, so you really don't need any
more evidence. If you enjoy giving him treats, find something that won't
make him sick.

A good scritching Or some catnip.

You're both absolutely right! I am so damn dumb/ uninformed, I'm ashamed
of myself. No more ham for Mosey, and I've suddenly lost my taste for it
as well.

As for Kyla's knees - snuffy, she had a knee replacement a couple of
years ago and they botched it. She has no insurance so she can't get it
redone correctly. Makes me really mad! Unfortunately, OTC meds don't do
any good - not strong enough. I don't know how effective stretching and
strengthening exercises are, so I can't comment on that.

Both my knees were replaced 7 years ago, and nothing helps.
Stretching and strengenthing exercises make my legs hurt worse.

I do 'meditation' as well as take what meds I can tolerate.
Thank you both. I learned something very important today

Mosey shall partake of no more ham.
God, I feel horrible, scared, and stupid.
Okay, how many of you were actually aware that ham is bad for cats?
Just curious.
I would NEVER feed my cat anything that I knew would be harmful.
Come to think of it, I've never seen tinned ham gooshy food nor in the
dry,
"but 'the bell didn't ding"
I'm gonna go cuddle with Mosey
Kyla

--
Joyce ^..^

Old March 19th 09, 02:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Kyla =^..^= wrote:
[...]

Purrs for you and Mosey.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old March 20th 09, 12:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_2_]

Hi Kyla,

Hi Christine,
To answer your question, yes, I've known that sodium nitrate is bad for
cats and people (!) and that preserved meats including ham are full of
it - that is unless you specifically go to a health food store and get the
meats that have no preservatives (you have to always read ingredients
lists).

And dumdum ol me did not know that. I mainly look on packaged foods for
MSG, which gives me intense migraines, but was unaware of the other junk
they put in stuff. Mosey is feeling a lot better today...thank God.

About your knees - I'm so sorry for your pain - I can't remember what you
said about trying pain meds but I'm guessing you've tried Aleve? If
there's swelling, naproxen sodium (which is what Aleve is) will help with
it and it does last 8-10 hours; I use it at night when I have shoulder
pain (you do have to be upright for 30 minutes at least after taking it so
it won't upset your stomach). Do heat or cold packs help at all? I'd
suggest trying acupuncture to see if it might help also if you can find
someone good - I've been taking my daughter to one since several months to
try and alleviate her migraines and it does help.

I can't take Aleve, nor ANY kind of anti-inflammitories (not even a
Motrin/Advil, etc, because of stomach bleeding issues, so I have to take
horrid nartotic meds that don't even work any more. Aspirin will really mess
me up as well;(
Ice is horrid on my knees, heat works better. I''ve tried acupuncture too,
but it didn't help either,
Thank you for your concern. Has your daughter eliminated MSG from her diet?
That was giving me the migraines. And it's in almost ALL soups, and
prepared foods. Gah!
Thank you for your suggestions. They are much appreciated,
Purrs
Kyla

purrs,
Christine

"Kyla =^..^=" wrote in message

bastXXXette
snuffy

On Mar 18, 4:57 pm, "Kyla =^..^="

Old March 20th 09, 12:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_2_]

"Gandalf"
.
[gentle snip]

I hope Mosey gets better soon! Tomorrow would be good.

Mosey does feel better today Thank you.

I didn't know ham was bad for cats; I have been giving Kenzie some every
time I make a sandwich. But usually only a small piece.

Well, let's not give our cats ANY ham, not even a taste, then we won't have
to worry, and I'm giving it up too, because of the salt content. Bad side
effects from food sucks big time!!

When Kenzie stopped eating, I was going to try giving her some ham; I
glad I didn't, now!

Me too, we don't want anyting bad to happen to her.

I hope your knees ease up on you. Maybe with the warmer weather?

Thank you...maybe new knees will help.
They hurt, no matter what the weather is.

Kyla

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

- Robert Heinlein

Old March 20th 09, 12:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_2_]

Kyla =^..^= wrote:
[...]

Thank you Adrian, they've really helped.
Mosey is feling a lot better today
Kyla and Mosey
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old March 20th 09, 12:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_2_]

"Judith Latham"

[gentle snip]

Purrs for Mosey and for you too. Don't feel guilty about giving him ham,
I'm sure you'll find something to give him as a treat.

Thank you..maybe some nice catnip

I'm sorry about your knees. I don't know of anything to suggest other that
things that have already been said, I wish I did. Or maybe I do,
apparently fizzy drinks can aggravate problems with joints. DH had really
painful knees and a year ago was thinking he was going to end up in a
wheelchair. Luckily he went on a diet, lost four stones in weight and
after the first stone his knees began to improve and now he only gets pain
after he has had a glass of Coke.

Judith

Wow, I did not know that either. Ham is bad for cats and fizzy drinks (we
drink Canada Dry Ginger Ale) can aggravate joint problems? *sigh* I am
about ready to give up!! That's a new one on me.
Well, I'll try not drinking any fizzy drinks and go 'saltless' and see what
happens.
I'm glad Mosey is feeling better, though.
Thanks for the info. Is 'everything' bad for us?
Kyla

--
Judith Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

Old March 20th 09, 01:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Kyla =^..^=" wrote in message

[...]

When you get right down to it, living is eventually fatal. Just some
things are better or worse for us to eat than others.

I mostly have to try to do a lot of pain control with little
medication. So anything that can aggravate fluid retention is bad.
Salt, etc.

Anything carbonated is bad for bone density and for digestion.

And caffeine increases the perception of pain.

Nice big glass of room temperature water anyone?

On the positive side (I have to keep my mind off that crap), in the
last few days our cherry tree has started to bloom. It looks like it
has big puffs of popcorn balls tied to it. And even better, a few
minutes ago I saw the first bee of the season. We always worry that
it won't get pollinated because the bees won't find it or because the
weather will keep them away.

Big, fresh ripe cherries are good for most of what ails me.

Jo

Old March 20th 09, 03:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_2_]

Default Mosey Update: Can Mosey Have Some Purrs? I Need some too, please

The little guy seems to be feeling better today without the ham...problem
solved there.
Thank you all so much for your info and advice, and purrs.
read on:

[...]

am about ready to give up!! That's a new one on me. How much is a
'stone'?
Well, I'll try not drinking any fizzy drinks and go 'saltless' and see
what happens.
I'm glad Mosey is feeling better, though.
Thanks for the info. Is 'everything' bad for us?
Kyla

When you get right down to it, living is eventually fatal. Just some
things are better or worse for us to eat than others.

Sounds like it.

I mostly have to try to do a lot of pain control with little medication.
So anything that can aggravate fluid retention is bad. Salt, etc.

I gave up adding salt to' anything' eons ago. When I was younger (in my
30's), I'd go overboard with it.
I'm in so much freakin pain, I' have' to take meds, and I hate that too.
I've tried going without so much as a Tylenol but extreme pain makes my
already high BP even higher, which can be a bad thing. I've been
hospitalized from high BP twice in the last 3 years (stress related) and
more times than I care to remember for my knees.

Anything carbonated is bad for bone density and for digestion.

Wonderful I drink Ginger Ale (Canada Dry) for a bad stomach

..
I have both kinds of arthritis, Osteo and rhuematoid, and possibly
Fibromyalgia.
Pain is my friend...NOT!!!

And caffeine increases the perception of pain.

Oh great, and I just finished a nice latte.
Guess I'll switch to chamomille tea and sleep all day.

Nice big glass of room temperature water anyone?

I suppose ice water is bad for me too?

On the positive side (I have to keep my mind off that crap), in the last
few days our cherry tree has started to bloom. It looks like it has big
puffs of popcorn balls tied to it. And even better, a few minutes ago I
saw the first bee of the season. We always worry that it won't get
pollinated because the bees won't find it or because the weather will keep
them away.

Big, fresh ripe cherries are good for most of what ails me.

Jo

I LOVE fresh cherries...but they're probably bad for me too.
With my luck, I'd choke on a pit.
How about yogurt? Good or bad?

Thanx for the info, Jo
Kyla

Old March 20th 09, 03:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Mar 19, 11:45*pm, "Kyla =^..^=" wrote:
I LOVE fresh cherries...but they're probably bad for me too.
With my luck, I'd choke on a pit.
*How about yogurt? *Good or bad?

Thanx for the info, Jo
Kyla

I heard Tart Montmorency Cherry Juice helps in dealing with pain.
You may want to checkit out.
Yogurt is good for digestive health. I eat plain probiotic yogurt
every day.

Winnie