OT - I'm *REALLY* Angry Now

Old February 5th 10, 09:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Default OT - I'm *REALLY* Angry Now

On Feb 5, 12:26*pm, "CatNipped" wrote:

It's all well and good for Ben to say, forget about it and forget about
them, they're not worth it. *But it wasn't done to HIM, he didn't feel that
sting of betrayal

You got that in one! Dave doesn;t understand because it wasn't done
to him and he doesn't think it's a big deal as far as he is concerned
it's what you get for hanging round with a bunch of geeks AKA role
players....rather like our chairman who doesn't seem to understand how
I feel 'cos basically I get the impression it's only me, I'm supposed
to ...well be a bit annoyed at first then....forget it..if they did
that to him he'd still be ****ed off but I'm supposed to be
ladylike..like when was I EVER a lady!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old February 5th 10, 09:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

I'm grateful to my parents for a lot of things, but the one thing I'm most
grateful for is that they didn't agree when the principle wanted to skip me
two grades. *I took enough teasing because I was from two months to a year
younger than most of my classmates. *My life would have been pure hell if
I'd been two or three years younger than they were.

Funny, I was always bitter that my parents wouldn't let the principal
skip me two grades. My high school years were hellish as it was, and
the fact that it took me so much longer to get through it and get out
on my own to somwhere more secure still makes me angry. I wish I'd
been able to start living in my own dorm room at university at age 17
instead of living "on the road" in between military training--it would
have been far more comfortable and safer.

DP skipped grades and started university when he was 16.

Neither of us are involved in MENSA. For me, it's more that I feel I
have enough other things to do that I don't need a social group based
solely around my IQ. I'd rather spend my time talking about HALO, sci-
fi, writing, cats, aviation and military things.

I actually don't know my IQ score. For my own curiousity, I should
retake the test some day. My parents and the principal made some
weird agreement that I "should not be told what it is," but it's
definitely up there...though I wonder with my current neuro damage if
I could duplicate the results.

--Fil

Old February 5th 10, 09:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Lesley wrote:

On Feb 5, 11:52?am, wrote:

In the US we had "Dick and Jane" books - same deal. A bunch of propaganda!

Where they as awful as Janet and John? Designed to teach 5 year old
kids that men did interesting things and women did housework and
shopping?

Probably. I haven't seen them since I was 6 or 7. I do remember that
they taught us that everyone was white and lived in suburbia, though.

Joyce

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary
and those who don't.
Old February 5th 10, 10:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dan M

On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 10:36:55 -0800, Lesley wrote:

All excellent ideas. I highly recommend SCA, role playing and
Toastmasters.

Good idea but none of them are immune to nastinesss. I've been a member
of my local role playing club for 18 years and over that time I've held
many posts. Last year I stood to be re-elected as treasurer a post I'd
been holding for 3-4 years but this year I had someone standing against
me....

horror story snipped

Even some of the traditionally safe venues can be pretty nasty.

When Nancy and I lived in California, we attended the church that Nancy
had attended for some time in previous years. Since Nancy is and was
pretty good at creating web pages she registered a domain for the church,
designed a very nice web site, and took on the job of maintaining the
site. She kept the calendar up to date, solicited and edited the news,
etc. She did an excellent job on the site and never heard a word of
complaint.

She maintained the site for 3 years. During this time she kept the site
current, solicited suggestions for improvement from all every source she
could think of, and paid for the domain name renewal and web hosting fees
out of her own pocket.

After 3 years (during which time she never received a word of thanks from
anyone on the church board) the church board called her and told her
they'd like her to transfer the domain registration to them because they
were turning the web site over to someone else to run. When she asked
what they wanted to change they refused to answer, saying that it had
already been determined that they were going to turn the site over to
someone else.

At my recommendation she never did transfer the registration - they can
always come up with another domain name on their own. I also recommended
that she archive the current content and replace the current page with a
link to hamsterdance.

When I grew up I was taught that church people were polite and
trustworthy. Too bad that real life doesn't match up with reality.

Dan
Old February 5th 10, 10:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Enfilade" wrote in message

[...]

=====================

Me too - I would have done SO much better in school instead of giving up in
frustration (not that I failed anything, just that I never opened a book
after the fourth grade and still got by with Bs and Cs).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old February 6th 10, 01:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Dan M" wrote in message
[...]

Hey, I grew up in a church where the members are known to be pretty
well behaved, and even so was taught not to mix business and church.
Never, ever to trust someone just because they were a member of the
same church.

I just tell myself that people go to church because they know they
need to be better people. If they know that, why should I assume
anything less.

Jo
Jo

Old February 6th 10, 12:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Lesley wrote:
On Feb 5, 12:06 pm, "Joy" wrote:

I've never run into anything like that at the club level in Toastmasters.

This was at club level- maybe I should join Toastmasters- what is
that? Something to do with public speaking?

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

I thought it was a club for people eating beans on toast. ;-)

Cats leave pawprints on your heart
Old February 6th 10, 07:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Feb 6, 4:26*am, Adrian wrote:

I thought it was a club for people eating beans on toast. ;-)

Just beans? Won't join if I can't be radical and introduce cheese on
toast! And does it have to be toasted bread? Where does the
membership stand on crumpet? How about jam and marmalade? Or are
conserves too extreme? (You're talking to a hot toasted crumpet with
butter and conserve addict here!) and will I get expelled for adding
black pepper to the beans?

Old February 7th 10, 02:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 13:05:15 -0700, MLB wrote:

Lesley wrote:
On Feb 3, 7:10 am, tanadashoes wrote: when one
of my class mates, who'd gone to kindergarten, couldn't read "Fun with
Dick and Jane" the first day of school.

You're like me- I arrived at my first day at the Infants School (Not
sure what it's called in the US but it's the one where you start at 5)
and the teacher said "Can any of you read?" and I put my hand up- wrong
move! I still remember she said something like "Stop showing off- here
read this if you think you can" (Thanks to a dad who thought he had a
child genius after apparently I taught myself to read from television-
I have a vague memory of an advert for chocolate- in those days you'd
see a picture of some chocolate, a voice would say the word and the
word would also be on the screen- my dad then decided to show me the
"Odhams Home Educator" I recall by the time I started school I could
read "The kaydid is the most voracious as insect in North America" and
comprehend the idea of "Insect" and knew what "Voracious" meant but
wasn't too sure where North America was) so she gave me a pile of
"Janet and John" books- don't know if anyone else here has read them
but even at 5 they were rubbish- sorta "See John and the dog play- see
John and daddy play football- see John climb a tree- see Janet help
mummy with the washing up" It took me half an hour to read the lot and
the teacher locked me in a cupboard as punishmet.....it had some
enclyopaedias in it so it hardly counted as a punishment for me....I
got hooked on the "Black's children's encyclopaedia"...a few years
later my dad promised if I got to the top of the class that year he'd
buy me a set....I still have the set I won

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

It is called Kindergarten in the USA. There are pre-schools too where
kids are taught to socialize and learn manners. Some start them
reading. There is an advertisement selling a program called "Your Baby
Can Read". The ad indicates babies at 9 months can recognize letters. I
have NOT investigated this program.

My sister is 2 1/2 years younger than I am. When I was learning to read
at age 6, she would sit next to me and follow along as I read. Fairly
soon she surprised my parents by proving to them that she had now learned
to read, at age 4. I might well have learned to read earlier, except
that my parents didn't realize that I needed glasses until I was age 6
and in first grade.

--
John F. Eldredge --