Petmate Performa litterbox

Old September 28th 03, 06:13 PM
Adam Helberg

"F. Robert Falbo" wrote in message
.. .

I have a question for you. I have two cats, a 3 year old female and just got a 16 week old male
kitten 3 weeks ago. The older cat still gets upset over the kitten but is gradually getting
used to him. She uses a Littermaid and the kitten uses a regular box that I have to clean twice
a day. Do you think I can eventually get both cats to use the Littermaid or do I need to get a
second automatic box? Is it true I need one box per cat? If I do get another box do you
recommend the Littermaid or Performa?

Adam

Old October 6th 03, 02:03 AM
EKKO BURT

I have 2 cats that were used to using a regular litterbox. They didn't know
what to think about the big noisy Littermaid litterbox, but what I did was
to get it and put it right next to their old box and not clean it as often
as they like. They eventually started using Littermaid box and I removed
the old one. I also have 2 cats and they use the same box and I don't have
a problem. The only problem is that I have to change the disposal container
every few days rather than once a week. Not too bad considering I was
cleaning the box nightly to begin with. If you want to see if 1 box is
sufficient, maybe try moving the regular box next to the Littermaid box and
see if they will use it there, don't clean it is often and see if they will
switch. My cats are fine with it now, and they are very spooked by loud
noises and things moving having come from an abusive home. As for the
better alternative, Littermaid or Performa, I don't have an answer for that,
I have only used the Littermaid. I hope this is helpful.
~Ekko

ink.net...

Old October 6th 03, 01:52 PM
Linda Terrell

The first Littermaid I bought -- 3 years ago and still in use --
the cats took to it as if it had always been there.
As I added cats (now 7), I added 2 more LM's.
I have to empty them once a day but it's still
beter than scopping out 3 or 4 lippterpans
several times a day, hauling huge bags of
clay litter about.

I can't see whre the Petmate would be any
different from what I have, save more $.

LT

Old October 7th 03, 02:55 AM
Adam Helberg

"EKKO BURT" wrote in message
[...]

Very good idea. Thanks.

Old October 7th 03, 03:48 AM
F. Robert Falbo

In message
,
"Linda Terrell" wrote:

I can't see whre the Petmate would be any
different from what I have, save more $.

Both the LitterMaid & Performa have their weaknesses
It looks like the PetMate people tried to address some of
the problems with the LitterMaid, but introduced thier own.

While the LitterMaid's rake can be removed, it's a pain.
Performa's rake is an easy lift-out. BUT... Performa's
teeth are farther apart, and let more "stuff" through,
which leaves more broken "chunks" all over the pan.

Also, the motor in the Performa is pathetically underpowered,
so if more than one cat goes before the next sweep, it may jam
the rake at the end ramp. This happens way too much.

Pluses go to Performa for putting the drive mechanism outside
of the pan - no need to clean the track. But then, they have
the rake stop about 1/2" short of the storage tray's lip, and
some clumps just sit there, keeping the lid open.

IMO, The storage on the LitterMaid is better thought-out than
the one on the Performa. Both are large enough, but for multi-
Cat families, the bags on the Performa are clutzy at best.
We're a multiCat family, with multiple "boxes", and so we use
shopping bags for crap disposal, emptying the boxes into a bag
and into the garbage. The LitterMaid makes this easier for me.

The Performa leaks less litter onto the floor by virtue of its
outer cover. Here, the LitterMaid could take a hint, but in a
day to day multicat environment, the LitterMaid wins.

--
-bob-
MICE Newsreader - Powered by BeOS 5.03 Pro

Old December 10th 03, 12:51 PM
erayser

(Since this is written during the holiday season, PLEASE read before considering giving this product as a gift).

I've used a Petmate Performa Plus Jumbo Hooded Appliance for less than one week (purchased for $200.00 at Petco). It is for one cat in my house.

I ABSOLUTELY HATE THIS PRODUCT.

I found this product to actually NOT be a timesaving device as advertising purports. On the contrary, I found it to be a time-consuming device and now actually prefer a good old-fashioned 20th century litterbox (and I'm a gadget-loving ex-computer enginerd).

I followed the instructions to the "t" and still cannot get the product to work as designed.

Reasons:

A. Product design flaw #1: Underpowered motor. The motor which drives the rake that pushed clumped kitty litter into the reservoir is underpowered. Quite often it jams and does not complete its cycle, leaving litter in the pan, not the reservoir. I have to manually scoop the litter out myself. Already, the inherent timesaving feature of this poopy product has been defeated. I've sarcastically pointed out that a hamster on a wheel could generate more horsepower than the electronic motor on this "appliance".

B. Product design flaw #2: The tines on the rake which pushes the litter away is spaced too far apart. Consequently, many specks of litter do not get raked into the reservoir. (And yes, I am using premium clumping litter as the instructions advise). Once again, I have to manually scoop the litter myself.

C. Product desing flaw #3: As a result of aforementioned factors A & B, I constantly (more like on a daily basis) have to take the appliance apart. This is my biggest "pet" peeve (no pun intended). I cannot emphasize enough how tediously time-CONSUMING (the essence of timesaving at this point has long been defeated) this is. The hooded version has three modular hoods (an 2 inter-connected upper hoods and 1 lower hood) that can be detached. The lower hood is monstrous and cumbersome and unwieldy (and I'm an avid weightlifter with mild back problems...hint hint). This lower hood has angled recesses that easily catch residual litter...therefore, when you lift the hood, the excessive litter will be flung all over your floor. Make sure you have a broom and dustpan handy!!! To make a long story short, I found myself having to take off all the hoods everytime the litterbox malfunctioned). The lower hood's attachment's are flimsy in terms of alignment. Can you imagine if the hood of your car had to be removed (not just lifted) everytime you had to work on it???

If alignment is not perfect, mechanical jams ARE guaranteed.

D. Oh, and the litterbox I bought was defective out of the box. The sensor which detects when the cat is in/out of the litter box and triggers the automated raking device does not work at all. All this time, I've been triggering the raking device manually by powering the device. This does not contribute favorably to my impression of this device. I haven't had time to call tech support let alone return the device.

E. The instructions have lousy and diminutive black-and-white instructions in a confusing tri-lingual columnar layout, making initial assembly of the product very confusing to me (and I'm the type of the person who LOVES to assemble gadgets and IKEA furniture). Fortunately, it includes an illustrative VHS video that can also be watched on Petmate's website.

In conclusion, I found myself doing more maintenance and floor sweeping using this $200.00 product when compared to a simple $10.00 litterbox.

I therefore do NOT recommend this product. Paws down!

Thanks for reading!!