Guard Cats

Old October 10th 06, 06:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
She Devil

Default Guard Cats

I've had the privilege of being owned by a lot of cats in my life, and
they all had and have their own wonderful unique personalities.

But *never* before have I had a cat who hangs out in the front bay
window, and then if a truck pulls up near our house, or a person walks
up the sidewalk, *growls*! (Interestingly, if a car pulls up, he does
nothing - it has to be a truck, or someone actually coming up our
path.)

Of course, he then turns tail and runs away and hides in another room!

Anyone else see this sort of behaviour?

Anne

---

Pets: http://www.PetBereavementGifts.com
Nets: http://www.TheInternetPatrol.com
Raw: http://www.AdventuresInRawFood.com
Law: http://www.DearEsq.com
Blog: http://www.MangeMerde.com

Old October 10th 06, 08:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dewi

My Widget use to growl when the door bell rang. She's mellowed now in
her older age though and is too lazy for that sort of thing .

Dewi

Old October 10th 06, 09:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

She Devil wrote:
I've had the privilege of being owned by a lot of cats in my life, and
they all had and have their own wonderful unique personalities.

But *never* before have I had a cat who hangs out in the front bay
window, and then if a truck pulls up near our house, or a person walks
up the sidewalk, *growls*! (Interestingly, if a car pulls up, he does
nothing - it has to be a truck, or someone actually coming up our
path.)

Of course, he then turns tail and runs away and hides in another room!

Anyone else see this sort of behaviour?

Yep! The first time I heard Persia do it, she was curled up on my lap and
then stood at attention and bared her fangs and went "rrrrrrooowwww" and
then she hissed! She sounded for all the world like a small panther. She
even scared me! She's a watch cat!

Jill

Old October 10th 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

Sugar does this! Not so much anymore. But she used to growl anytime she
heard voices in the hall, or at our old place, if she heard the gate open.
It was soooooo cute!

oups.com...

Old October 10th 06, 04:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

She Devil wrote:

I've had the privilege of being owned by a lot of cats in my life, and
they all had and have their own wonderful unique personalities.

But *never* before have I had a cat who hangs out in the front bay
window, and then if a truck pulls up near our house, or a person walks
up the sidewalk, *growls*! (Interestingly, if a car pulls up, he does
nothing - it has to be a truck, or someone actually coming up our
path.)

Is he Siamese? I've read that they were orginally trained
as temple guardians - maybe he's copying ancestral
behaviour. :-)

Old October 10th 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Dewi wrote:

My Widget use to growl when the door bell rang. She's mellowed now in
her older age though and is too lazy for that sort of thing .

Comt to think of it, I had one who used to sit on the back
of the sofa behind me, and growl at passing traffic. I had
an upstairs hillside apartment with a balcony overlooking
the street, so especially at night, when you could see the
headlights of cars coming up the hill, she'd "announce" each
one.

Old October 10th 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dan M

Of course, he then turns tail and runs away and hides in another room!

Anyone else see this sort of behaviour?

Yep. Harri Roadcat does this frequently, and Amelia does sometimes.

All of the kitties take turns in the windows when interesting things are
going on outside. A few months ago two of the four apartments in our
complex became vacant and the landlord took the opportunity to do some
reworking of the two vacant apartments. About a month later the landlord
mentioned that the workers were greatly enjoying watching the kitties
watching them! It took them a couple days to figure out there was more
than one cat in the house, and they had a little contest going to figure
out how many cats there really were. They came close - they thought five.
I guess they didn't look closely enough to tell there are two red tabbys.
Old October 11th 06, 04:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Karen wrote:
Sugar does this! Not so much anymore. But she used to growl anytime she
heard voices in the hall, or at our old place, if she heard the gate open.
It was soooooo cute!

Frank also used to growl if he heard someone come too near our door in
the hallway.

Old October 11th 06, 04:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bill Stock

"She Devil" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've had the privilege of being owned by a lot of cats in my life, and
they all had and have their own wonderful unique personalities.

But *never* before have I had a cat who hangs out in the front bay
window, and then if a truck pulls up near our house, or a person walks
up the sidewalk, *growls*! (Interestingly, if a car pulls up, he does
nothing - it has to be a truck, or someone actually coming up our
path.)

Of course, he then turns tail and runs away and hides in another room!

Anyone else see this sort of behaviour?

Cali growls at the Garbage Truck, especially when they're touching OUR
garbage. Not sure how she knows it's ours or why she cares. I guess she
doesn't want them stealing her litterbox offerings.

Old October 11th 06, 10:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Bill Stock wrote:
"She Devil" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've had the privilege of being owned by a lot of cats in my life,
and they all had and have their own wonderful unique personalities.

But *never* before have I had a cat who hangs out in the front bay
window, and then if a truck pulls up near our house, or a person
walks up the sidewalk, *growls*! (Interestingly, if a car pulls up,
he does nothing - it has to be a truck, or someone actually coming
up our path.)

Of course, he then turns tail and runs away and hides in another
room!

Anyone else see this sort of behaviour?

Cali growls at the Garbage Truck, especially when they're touching OUR
garbage. Not sure how she knows it's ours or why she cares. I guess
she doesn't want them stealing her litterbox offerings.

Rosie (RB) used to sit on the fence and growl at the German Shepard next
door. :-) Snoopy just growls at Baggy.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Hi everyone Dewi Cat anecdotes 33 May 20th 20 03:20 AM
Cats and grains Kiran Cat health & behaviour 31 May 21st 06 06:14 PM
Feline Facts Matthew AKA NMR Cat anecdotes 0 April 4th 06 05:54 AM
rec.pets.cats: Traditional Siamese Breed-FAQ Laura Gilbreath Cat Information 0 October 19th 05 05:35 AM
Cat predation studies Alison Cat health & behaviour 48 February 5th 04 03:17 AM