Cat ate string, how long to pass?

Old November 18th 03, 10:01 PM
Paulette

Hooray for all concerned; you have a wise (and no doubt experienced vet.
Our Lucy ate a tangled mess of fishing line which we saw the last couple
inches of; took her to the vet; he gave her 2 huge doses of Laxatone,
said feed her extra food. Of course the usual warning of watch for
vomiting, etc. ad don't pull on it if it starts out. In 48+ hours she
passed it in the same manner as yours did; a "necklace of line and
turds. Whew! Know exactly what you went thru. DH pulled the mess apart;
it was 2 feet long. I just now read your pst, or would have written
sooner. Skritches to the patient
Paulette

Old November 18th 03, 10:17 PM
m. L. Briggs

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 10:04:40 -0500, MAG
wrote:

Thanks to all who offered support in this thread. I'm very relieved to
report that our cat, Mariposa, passed the string this morning, about 2.5
days after she ate it. It was all wadded up in two BIG turds connected
by the string, but came out normally.

We were quite worried yesterday when she stopped pooping and even took
her to the vet. Her signs were excellent. They said she was "working
on it" and to give it time as she seemed to be doing well. Turned out
to be the right thing.

She might be a little sore down there, judging from the size of the
turds, but the high drama is over for now.

Yea!

Marc

glad it all worked out in the end! MLB

Old November 21st 03, 09:19 AM
Meghan Noecker

When I was a kid, our cats used to eat tinsel off the christmas tree
and it would come out of their butts. We stopped using tinsel and the
problem disappeared somehow.

I have a cat that will eat anything. So, there are certain items that
are contraband in the house. No easter grass. He loves that stuff. He
no longer eats tape cassettes, thankfully. Those weren't always easy
to hidem and i had to buy tapes for other family members on multiple
ocassions.

We can use the tinsel garland stuff on the tree, but it has to be out
of reach, and cannot be left laying around anywhere. No ribbons on
packages.

He also likes to eat natural brooms (my other cats refer the synthetic
brooms). And we also keep rubber bands in drawers.

Meghan & the Zoo Crew
Equine and Pet Photography
http://www.zoocrewphoto.com