Cat ate string, how long to pass?

Old November 17th 03, 02:41 PM
MAG

Default Cat ate string, how long to pass?

Hi folks-

Saturday night at about 9 pm our cat, Mariposa, swallowed a piece of
cotton string. It was soft cotton string (not kite cord), about 18
inches long. We saw half of it sticking out of her mouth, went after
her to get it from her, and she bolted the rest down while we tried to
grab her.

Called emergency vet; they said to keep feeding her, NOT PULL on it if
it starts to come out, and monitor for any signs of discomfort.

OK it is 36 hours later. She's pooped a couple times (no string), is
eating normally, and is acting in her usual fashion (sleeping, watching
us with an air of superiority). No signs of discomfort.

Yesterday afternoon we started giving her Laxatone, to make sure she's
properly lubricated to hopefully ease the passing.

How long should it take something to work it's way through in the normal
fashion? I'm worried about the posts I've seen of things "sawing through
the intestines." YUK!

Her normal vet is open today and we will call them, but I thought I'd
post for experiences here. Basically, how long do these things take,
presuming the string passes through her without serious problems?

Marc
Old November 17th 03, 04:51 PM
MAG

In article ,
says...
In article ws.com,
enlightened us with...

How long should it take something to work it's way through in the normal
fashion? I'm worried about the posts I've seen of things "sawing through
the intestines." YUK!

Her normal vet is open today and we will call them, but I thought I'd
post for experiences here. Basically, how long do these things take,
presuming the string passes through her without serious problems?

The string can get entangled in the intestines and never come out. She
can die. Take her to the vet. She may need surgery. If nothing else, the
vet can give her an enema and speed things along.

If the string were going to come out on its own with no problems, I'd
say 48 hours. However, after 48 hours, if it wasn't going to come out on
its own, the intestines might already be badly damaged.

--
~kaeli~
In democracy your vote counts. In feudalism your count votes.

Hi Kaeli-

Thanks for the feedback. Meanwhile, we spoke with her regular vet who
advised holding off on surgery for now (we're at 38 hours). They advised
increasing the laxative dosage. Surgery carries its own risks, and they
are advising us to wait and see for the next day or so. So far the cat
is giving no signs of distress, eating well, and pooping normally.

I just hate the idea of her intestines being chewed up! This is so
stressful.

Marc
Old November 17th 03, 04:51 PM
MAG