I have a cat and am thinking of getting a kitten too.

Old November 19th 03, 09:15 PM
Rebecca

Default I have a cat and am thinking of getting a kitten too.

Thanks in advance for reading my post.
I currently have a 8 year ols fixed and declawed male cat. I have had
him since I was 12yrs old. I am now currently living in an a 2 bedroom
apartment with no roommates so my car gets lonely because I work full
time evening shifts. I am no home alot of the day and when I get home
my cat doesn't stop meowing and then Iwill hold him and pet him and
then he is happy again. I feel bad that he is alone. I got a hamster
for him to watch but the hamster sleeps all the time and obviously I
can only let the hamster out of the cage under my close supervision
(my can like to sniff it and watch it run around) so I have been
thinking of getting a kitten as a friend for my cat. Is this a bad
idea?? Is there a certain sex I should get to help them with liking
each other. I was thinking that my cat would get to like a kitten
quickly and would be teritoral because it's just a baby cat. Has
anyone done this or have any advice??
Thanks, Rebecca
Old November 19th 03, 10:24 PM
Mary

"Rebecca" wrote in message
om...
[...]

No, but have you considered adopting a young adult female from a
no-kill shelter? They are usually well trained to use their litter
box, calmer than kittens, they have all their shots and are already
spayed, and they are so so grateful. You can ask the shelter owner
about the different personalities of the cats, and choose one that has
been in the shelter for a few months, so that you can be sure the
owner has had time to learn about it. I say a girl because I think
girls and boys get along better than same sex cats, and because the
sweetest cat I have ever had in my life is a girl I adopted as an
adult from a shelter. The pound is fine too, but you never know what
you are getting. The cats one year and older are usually cheaper than
kittens at the shelters because most people want kittens. What I
loved: no curtain climbing, great litter box habits, and she gets
along with other cats. Cats in shelters are often just about on top of
each other, so they learn to get along.

Is there a certain sex I should get to help them with liking
each other. I was thinking that my cat would get to like a kitten
quickly and would be teritoral because it's just a baby cat. Has
anyone done this or have any advice??
Thanks, Rebecca

I am sure a kitten would be great, too. No matter who you rescue, you
will be helping your lonely cat and another cat and giving yourself a
new source of delight and love. And, when your dear elder cat passes
on, the other cat will be a source of comfort. (But of course I hope
you have him for another 20 years!)

Old November 20th 03, 04:50 PM
k conover

I highly recommend it! I don't think you need to limit it to a kitten
(though they sure are fun to watch grow up), but you'll find a younger cat
will "liven up" your cat and make him act a lot younger. Make sure you
handle the introduction well (there's lot of information out there about how
to do that), making the original cat feel like he's still your baby and
allow for some adjustment time and it should be great.
Kirsten
om...