Carpet treatment for my guests' comfort?

Old February 11th 07, 02:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bryan S.

Default Carpet treatment for my guests' comfort?

Hello there.

We regularly have guests at our home, and two of them are allergic to
cats. I'm wondering if any of you have found any sort of solution
(carpet treatment/air treatment) which helps keep guests who may be
allergic to cats comfortable while they're visiting.

Thanks for your time.

--
Bryan, Stacy, Alyssandra & James...

....under the watchful eyes of Her Majesty, Trouble (grey American
Shorthair)

Old February 11th 07, 03:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Louis

news
"Bryan S." wrote in message
Hello there.

We regularly have guests at our home, and two of them are allergic to
cats. I'm wondering if any of you have found any sort of solution
(carpet treatment/air treatment) which helps keep guests who may be
allergic to cats comfortable while they're visiting.

Thanks for your time.

--
Bryan, Stacy, Alyssandra & James...

...under the watchful eyes of Her Majesty, Trouble (grey American
Shorthair)

You want all that dust out of the air. First of all, get a really good air
purifier for the room. Secondly, vaccum with a true HEPA filter. The bag
MUST say .3 microns / 99.97%. Do this several hours or even a day before
the guests arrive, to give the air filter sufficient time to clean the
particles. Keep the pets of the room after cleaning of course.

Now if it is children playing on the carpet, they must wear long pants and
long sleeve shirts or they can get a reaction on their skin. Also, they
will need to wash their hands before they touch any part of their face, and
once when they leave. Another strategy is to lay down a clean mat for them
to play on.

Regards,
Louis

Old February 11th 07, 03:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bryan S.

[Gail )]
[Sun, 11 Feb 2007 14:35:01 GMT]

"Bryan S." wrote in message
Hello there.

We regularly have guests at our home, and two of them are allergic to
cats. I'm wondering if any of you have found any sort of solution
(carpet treatment/air treatment) which helps keep guests who may be
allergic to cats comfortable while they're visiting.

Thanks for your time.

I find vacuuming frequently definitely helps with those allergic.
Gail

[fixed top-post.. no charge! ]

Well, of course we vacuum, but one of our guests is particularly
allergic, and he was sniffling all night the last time he was here,
despite the fact that Trouble spends very little time in this room.

*sigh*

Old February 11th 07, 03:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bryan S.

[Moongal )]
[Sun, 11 Feb 2007 14:39:56 GMT]

A good Hepa air purifier can help. We recently got one, and it definately
makes a difference.

Hrm... thanks! Perhaps we'll look into one of those ion fans.

Old February 11th 07, 03:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bryan S.

[Louis )]
[Sun, 11 Feb 2007 10:06:44 -0500]

You want all that dust out of the air. First of all, get a really good air
purifier for the room. Secondly, vaccum with a true HEPA filter. The bag
MUST say .3 microns / 99.97%. Do this several hours or even a day before
the guests arrive, to give the air filter sufficient time to clean the
particles. Keep the pets of the room after cleaning of course.

Now if it is children playing on the carpet, they must wear long pants and
long sleeve shirts or they can get a reaction on their skin. Also, they
will need to wash their hands before they touch any part of their face, and
once when they leave. Another strategy is to lay down a clean mat for them
to play on.

Thanks very much for the tips, Louis... good stuff!

Old February 11th 07, 03:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Sun, 11 Feb 2007 14:17:04 GMT, Bryan S. wrote:

Hello there.

We regularly have guests at our home, and two of them are allergic to
cats. I'm wondering if any of you have found any sort of solution
(carpet treatment/air treatment) which helps keep guests who may be
allergic to cats comfortable while they're visiting.

Thanks for your time.

In addition to vacuuming with a true HEPA vacuum and adding a good quality
HEPA filter to the room, you could also keep that door shut and keep the
kitties out all the time. My son is allergic to the animals and his door
stays shut 24/7. Granted, I'm sure he drags allergens in there with him,
but I vacuum with a Dyson and he has a HEPA filter in his room. I also
wipe the cats down with Allerpet once a week. I'm not sure if it helps or
not, but it's supposed to neutralize cat dander. (They make a dog version,
too.) Frequent brushing also helps minimize the flying fur and dander.
Finally, if you ever steam clean your own carpet, you can get a cleaner
with allergen reducers. I do this, too, but only when there is an obvious
need to break out the steam cleaner. Remember to keep pets off the carpet
until fully dry if you do steam clean.

--
Lynne
Old February 11th 07, 06:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Sun 11 Feb 2007 10:43:07a, Lynne wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
om:

I also
wipe the cats down with Allerpet once a week. I'm not sure if
it helps or not, but it's supposed to neutralize cat dander.

I think I'm going to have to try this. I've been looking at allergy
neutralizer products, too. Shamrock has atopic allergies (dust
mites, mold spores, pollens, cat dander, etc) and while he's been
doing well on the medication he's on, he's having a slight flareup.
The air is so dry here because of the cold snap and my humidifier
can't keep up. Since dust mites live in humidity levels of 40%+, I
imagine that dead dust mite bodies are causing his flare up, and of
course you just can't get all that no matter how clean you are (and
I'm not the best, but I've sure seen worse!). I wonder how
effective tannic acid is as a allergen neutralizer?
http://www.alerg.com/page/A/PROD/cln4/AVC1100

I also ordered protective mattress and pillow sleeves and will see
how that works out. I have all of the same allergies he does. Also
have Dyson and try to vaccum a lot. Need to work harder on that but
time runs out during the week!

--
Cheryl

Old February 11th 07, 06:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Sun, 11 Feb 2007 18:28:42 GMT, Cheryl
wrote:

I imagine that dead dust mite bodies are causing his flare up

Actually, it's the dust mite excrement that causes allergies. So if they
are dead, they aren't pooping. Cleaning up that old waste or neutralizing
it is a very good idea, and your Dyson ought to be up for the task.

If you haven't yet, run your Dyson's HEPA filter through the dishwasher.
You're supposed to do this every 6 months--something I didn't realize until
I'd had it for about 4 years. Ooops! Be sure to let it dry thoroughly
before using it again.

I do use the mattress and the pillowcase covers and I think they make a
huge difference. The bedroom is the most important room to keep allergen
free. My son bathes before bed so that he doesn't bring all the
environmental allergens into bed with him. We've almost got this down to a
science here.

--
Lynne