China Confirms Case, Begins Civet Cat Cull

Old January 7th 04, 02:06 AM
MacCandace

But at least with the calves you are not killing off a wild animal in
hopes of making it extinct.

Good point.

True, but they all feel pain and fear and want to live, wild or not. I kept
thinking about the cows all day, how sad. I suppose most of them would have
been slaughtered for meat anyway but I (as a vegetarian) don't like that either
but this seems worse. Poor things. I imagine they will be killed more cruelly
than usual since there are so many to do at once. Same with the civets;
they're not going to kill them humanely in a place like China.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Old January 7th 04, 03:53 AM
Sherry

True, but they all feel pain and fear and want to live, wild or not. I kept
thinking about the cows all day, how sad. I suppose most of them would have
been slaughtered for meat anyway but I (as a vegetarian) don't like that
either
but this seems worse. Poor things. I imagine they will be killed more
cruelly
than usual since there are so many to do at once. Same with the civets;
they're not going to kill them humanely in a place like China.

Candace

That's what I am concerned about. Every animal, I don't care if you eat cows,
horses, dogs or cats, deserves a humane life and a humane death. It makes me
sick to imagine how these 10,000 civet cats are going to be killed.
In a nearby town, the animal control was trapping skunks and drowning them
while still in the trap. I threw the biggest fit and called in an abuse team to
investigate, and even though we had *no* jurisdiction to do so, it was enough
of a bluff they stopped it. I couldn't stand to think about the terror those
animals were feeling. Even if they were just skunks.

Sherry

Old January 7th 04, 05:20 AM
MacCandace

I couldn't stand to think about the terror those
animals were feeling. Even if they were just skunks.

Sherry

Maybe if we all pray or send positive thoughts that their deaths will be
peaceful...the civet cats and the cows. There's something to be said for the
collective consciousness...hokey as it may sound, it can't hurt to wish them
well as they die.