Cat got scared and keeps attacking wife and other cat

Old February 2nd 04, 12:35 AM
Cheryl

Karen M. wrote in on 01 Feb 2004:

You put the cat in the shelter, you're pretty much killing the cat. Why
don't you go take a compassion pill before trying to speak?

Damn don't bring that option up right now. I have Shamrock acting all
aggressive lately and attacking Shadow. Bonnie watches every move Shamrock
makes and attacks Shadow. Between the two of them I can't keep Shadow safe
anymore. They are both ganging up on him. And Shadow is so submissive that
he will rear up with paws flailing but he won't stand up for himself and
the other two know it. He spends most of his time anymore under the dining
room table which is up against the wall. Shamrock has had two timeouts
this weekend alone. I can't get Bonnie in timeout cos I can't catch the
little bugger. Since Shadow is terminally sick I sometimes wonder if the
others can sense that and attack him because he is weak.

--
Cheryl

Trapped like rats. In a chia-pet.
MIB II
Old February 2nd 04, 02:11 AM
MacCandace

Since Shadow is terminally sick I sometimes wonder if the others can sense
that and attack him because he is weak.

--
Cheryl

I hate to agree but I think that certainly might be the case. When my late
cat, Emily, had lymphoma, 2 of my cats, Scottie, and Emily's own devoted son,
Cory, would attack her for no apparent reason (no reason to me, that is).
Fortunately, it wasn't violent and it wasn't constant so I don't think she was
overly miserable about it but I think she was a little upset. Especially since
she had been the "top cat" prior to her illness and was always picking on them.
Maybe they were just "getting even" once they could but it made me sad.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Old February 2nd 04, 02:26 AM
Cheryl

MacCandace wrote in on
01 Feb 2004:

Since Shadow is terminally sick I sometimes wonder if the others
can sense that and attack him because he is weak.

I hate to agree but I think that certainly might be the case. When my
late cat, Emily, had lymphoma, 2 of my cats, Scottie, and Emily's own
devoted son, Cory, would attack her for no apparent reason (no reason
to me, that is). Fortunately, it wasn't violent and it wasn't constant
so I don't think she was overly miserable about it but I think she was
a little upset. Especially since she had been the "top cat" prior to
her illness and was always picking on them.
Maybe they were just "getting even" once they could but it made me
sad.

I feel so bad for Shadow sometimes. He won't fight back, though I know he
is strong enough. I get him playing with da bird along with the other cats
and he runs after it, and gets all wild, but when it comes to defending
himself he only goes as far as lifting a paw and trying to vocalize. He
hisses and tries to yell, but since he lost his voice from the feeding tube
incident over a year and a half ago, it isn't quite as effective to the
other cats. I don't know how to handle this. I can separate Shadow from
the others when I'm not home, but that doesn't teach Shamrock and Bonnie to
"be nice"...

Old February 2nd 04, 03:14 AM
Karen M.

Cheryl wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately, yes they can. I'm sorry Cheryl, that sucks. Can't you
*threaten* Bonnie with a timeout?? Seriously, maybe Shadow should
stay in your bedroom by himself when you're not home? Poor guy, tell him
I'm rooting for him!!

Karen

Old February 2nd 04, 03:21 AM
Karen M.

Cheryl wrote:

MacCandace wrote in on
01 Feb 2004:

[...]

Whoops, ignore my previous post. I guess if I would read all replies
before responding, I might actually be able to give some useful advice.
How's this? Put a Superman cape on him and the other two will think he's
a superhero????

Old February 2nd 04, 03:21 AM
Karen M.

Cheryl wrote:

MacCandace wrote in on
01 Feb 2004:

Old February 2nd 04, 11:49 PM
Cheryl

Karen M. wrote in on 01 Feb 2004:

Unfortunately, yes they can. I'm sorry Cheryl, that sucks. Can't you
*threaten* Bonnie with a timeout??

LOL She has had me running circles around the kitchen trying to get her to
go where I want her to go. Too smart. My kitchen is one of those L shaped,
with two entrances. Back when she was on a round of ABs for UTI, it was
almost impossible to catch her to get a pill into her. I was ready to put
her back in the cage for 14 days just so I could have her accessable. It
was a nightmare for both of us. I know I scared her chasing her around to
corner her, and I've never seen a cat so wiley and fast. It really is no
wonder she was a survivor out there when she was wild. She has gotten over
that but she is still suspicious when I try to get her to go somewhere
other than where she wants to go. Food doesn't always work anymore for
that. sigh