LETTING THE CAT OUT

Old April 6th 09, 07:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
LauraM[_2_]

Default LETTING THE CAT OUT

On Apr 4, 1:04*pm, "cshenk" wrote:
"Geni" wrote

Hi all, I have just joined the group, I saw your post below about
introducing your furry friend to the outdoors at his new home. It's
usually best to supervise and introduce him slowly, for short periods
of time, gradually staying out longer and longer. There are also
outdoor cage systems which attach to the side of the house, allowing
them to be ouside, exercise while remaining totally safe, and always
local. Hope this is of some use.

It is useful for some environs. *If living truely rural (well away from any
roads etc) it may be a bit more than needed, but in a city, it may be all
that is ever safe.

I grew up i small town farm area where the norm was with a few chickens, a
few cats in the barn, and a few cows. *A dog or so at the level of the cows
and the cats took to the loft with the hay and grain.

Some here do not have that same background or situation and may never have.
For me now, all cats are indoor but I live in the city with too many big
streets too close. *If I lived well in the country, I'd let'em sun outside.

My cat is indoors only, but just to let others know, we have a second
home in a very rural area which means coyotes, hawks, bobcats, and god
only knows what else. My husband found a rabbit foot in our back
yard. Just the foot. The rest of the body was eaten by a coyote most
likely.

We have a raised deck about 30 feet off the ground because it's on the
side of a hill. There's no way my cat could get off the deck. I used
to take him, supervised, out onto the deck and he enjoyed sitting on
the lounge chair watching the hummingbirds and other birds frolicing
about. Now even *he* won't go out there. I wonder what he saw?
(rhetorical question) He knows a good thing when he sees it......he's
now back inside where he belongs.

Old April 6th 09, 10:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"LauraM" wrote in message
On Apr 4, 1:04 pm, "cshenk" wrote:

[...]

It's amazing how some cats are smarter than humans that way.

Old April 7th 09, 01:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 10:21:56 -0400, "cybercat"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 4 Apr 2009 15:28:46 -0400, "cybercat"
wrote:

"Geni" wrote in message
Hi all, I have just joined the group, I saw your post below about
introducing your furry friend to the outdoors at his new home. It's
usually best to supervise and introduce him slowly, for short periods
of time, gradually staying out longer and longer. There are also
outdoor cage systems which attach to the side of the house, allowing
them to be ouside, exercise while remaining totally safe, and always
local. Hope this is of some use.

Are you advocating eventually allowing a cat outside unsupervised?

Constant supervision?

I wasn't talking about fenced yards, but now that you mention it ...

Yes, if the yard wasn't fenced I don't think I could let them out. Too
much stuff outside of my control.
Old April 7th 09, 06:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"dgk" wrote

Yes, if the yard wasn't fenced I don't think I could let them out. Too
much stuff outside of my control.

My sister lets hers out ino her fenced yard. One day something got in and
attacked one of hers, she still has no idea what.

Old April 8th 09, 05:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Petzl

On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 12:18:28 -0400, "cybercat"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Geni" wrote in message
Hi all, I have just joined the group, I saw your post below about
introducing your furry friend to the outdoors at his new home. It's
usually best to supervise and introduce him slowly, for short periods
of time, gradually staying out longer and longer. There are also
outdoor cage systems which attach to the side of the house, allowing
them to be ouside, exercise while remaining totally safe, and always
local. Hope this is of some use.

Are you advocating eventually allowing a cat outside unsupervised?

I think cats decide this on their own. Mine ripped a hole in window
insect netting and has used this to come and go as she pleases for
around 20 years now (My house is surrounded by parkland)

You are the one with the forebrain and opposable thumbs, right?

And when I fill my mouth with milk, lie on my back with mouth open cat
will lick it out ;-

The only wild animals in my neighborhood are swans geese ducks and
the odd escaped dog around me.

But if a cat wants to get out it does IMO.
I also see a outside cat has a longer lifespan than a inside only cat.
--
Petzl
Battle Hymn of the Republic
Old April 8th 09, 06:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cyberpurrs

"Petzl" wrote in message
On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 12:18:28 -0400, "cybercat"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

"Geni" wrote in message
[...]

You see wrong. You see stupid. Good luck with that.

Old April 8th 09, 04:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 13:41:56 -0400, "cybercat"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote

Yes, if the yard wasn't fenced I don't think I could let them out. Too
much stuff outside of my control.

My sister lets hers out ino her fenced yard. One day something got in and
attacked one of hers, she still has no idea what.

It's possible. But their joy overrides the risk. I always look around
before letting them out but I can miss something. They don't miss
anything though. I always watch for the first few minutes.

The only things around are possums, raccoons, and other cats. There is
no problem with possums since cats and possums get along ok. Raccoons
don't stick around in the daytime and we very rarely have them anyway.

Actually, the bigger danger is that another cat gets trapped in the
yard. They can't get in easily but it has happened.

I usually open part of the fence overnight so anything that does get
in can get out. Possums and Raccoons don't need a hole; they can climb
out with no trouble. But cats don't climb as well.

There's a risk in everything we do. Sure I can keep them inside all
the time, but they love going out. It's part of their joy in life. I
do what I can to minimize the risks.
Old April 8th 09, 11:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"dgk" wrote in message
On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 13:41:56 -0400, "cybercat"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote

[...]

Whatever.

LETTING PEOPLES CATS OUT WHEN THEY ARE STUD AND THEM BEING KILLED [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 5 June 12th 08 02:50 PM
Letting Eli Win Pat Cat anecdotes 7 May 18th 06 04:32 PM
letting the cat out of the bag. [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 0 September 9th 05 02:59 PM
Letting the cat out Mat Overton Cats - misc 4 February 3rd 04 05:07 PM