Heat pad / heated cat bed

Old September 3rd 05, 07:30 PM
Sagittaria

Default Heat pad / heated cat bed

I'd like my elderly cat to have a warm bed available at all times. Do I
have to pay $40+ for a heated cat bed, or would it be safe to leave a
normal heating pad on 24/7?

--
----Sagittaria----
Old September 3rd 05, 09:29 PM
William Hamblen

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 18:30:21 -0000, Sagittaria
wrote:

I'd like my elderly cat to have a warm bed available at all times. Do I
have to pay $40+ for a heated cat bed, or would it be safe to leave a
normal heating pad on 24/7?

Your average heating pad is likely to burn the cat.

Old September 3rd 05, 09:30 PM
blkcatgal

I used a regular heating pad for my cat. I put it inside of a fleece
covered pad that I made and kept it on low or warm. Any warmer seemed too
hot. My cat liked it.

Sue

Old September 4th 05, 07:01 PM
Veloise

Sagittaria wrote:
I'd like my elderly cat to have a warm bed available at all times. Do I
have to pay $40+ for a heated cat bed, or would it be safe to leave a
normal heating pad on 24/7?

A couple of things to try:

--set kitty up with a bed near a heat duct. My older cat spends 6
months a year enjoying warm furnace air.

--Polarfleece is a wonderful fabric that reflects body heat, and they
like the way it feels (mom!). This morning I dragged out two of my PF
throws, and instantly had company.

--If you do go the heating pad route, I would get a timer and set it to
cycle on and off every hour. It'll stay warm enough and has less of a
chance of burning your house down.

YMMV

HTH

--Karen D.

Old September 4th 05, 10:14 PM
Sagittaria

"Veloise" wrote in
oups.com:

Sagittaria wrote:
I'd like my elderly cat to have a warm bed available at all
times. Do I have to pay $40+ for a heated cat bed, or would it be
safe to leave a normal heating pad on 24/7?

A couple of things to try:

--set kitty up with a bed near a heat duct. My older cat spends 6
months a year enjoying warm furnace air.

--Polarfleece is a wonderful fabric that reflects body heat, and
they like the way it feels (mom!). This morning I dragged out two
of my PF throws, and instantly had company.

--If you do go the heating pad route, I would get a timer and set
it to cycle on and off every hour. It'll stay warm enough and has
less of a chance of burning your house down.

Thanks! I had forgotten the vents - she has been sleeping on them for a
couple of winters now. I appreciate the suggestions.

--
----Sagittaria----