Ban Those Names!

Old November 3rd 04, 07:48 AM

William Hamblen wrote:

When did they stop having fruitcakes at weddings? Once upon a time
they would put a piece of the wedding (fruit) cake under a bell jar as
a keepsake, fruitcake being a substance that conceivably outlasts the
Pyramids.

The problem is, there is only one fruitcake in the entire world. It keeps
getting sent from one person to another as a Christmas gift. So I guess
it's just too busy to appear at weddings.

Joyce

Old November 4th 04, 01:19 PM
badwilson

Dennis and I got married on the beach in Australia. It wasn't an
elopement because everybody knew about it, but we just didn't put on a
party for anyone and nobody was about to come all the way to Australia
for our wedding.
For $5000 we had a month in Australia during which time we drove from
Sydney to Cairns and back in our cheap rental car, scuba diving, sight
seeing, a lovely beach wedding on Dunk Island followed by 2 nights at
their resort, and a great photographer.
I had sewed my own dress before our trip, it was just a little white
summer dress. Dennis had on some black shorts and Tevas.
We got Martin and Rose, a Jewish couple from NY who we met on the
trail down to the beach before the wedding, to be our witnesses. They
thought it was "soooo romaaaaantic!", their own wedding just a few
days previously had been a grand affair with 250 guests, for which
they would be paying for the next 5 years.
Dennis and I had no debts from the wedding and instead invested our
savings in a condo. We sold the condo for a profit and now have
enough money to move to Australia permanently.
On February 21st, 2006, we will go back to Dunk Island and renew our
vows for our 10th anniversary.
--
Britta
Sandpaper kisses, a cuddle and a purr. I have an alarm clock that's

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" wrote
in message ...

When Vernon & I got married, in attendance were Vernon & I

(obviously), Nathan,
two witnesses, my mum & dad. That was it. Lovely. Afterwards we went

home, got
into my old tracksuit - cooked lunch for everyone & then did a

massive buffet
for the evening, when we had open house, where we invited all of our

friends
round. Loved it. My wedding probably cost a thousand times less than

the House
of Spartacus event and I bet it was as much fun ;-)

Cheers, helen s

Old November 4th 04, 01:27 PM
badwilson

"Yowie" wrote in message

Our wedding was on top of Mt Keira, to the backdrop of a wonderful

view of
Illawarra and the sea. My dress cost $40, the shoes $100, the makeup

was
free when I bought the Christian Dior lipstick (I got it done at one

of
those stalls in the cosmetics department of a big department store -
lipstick was $40 and I needed it to "touch up" anyway). Joel's suit

hire was
$150. The Celebrant's fee is a set $300. The booze cost at the most,

$500.
Various sundries came to about another $200. The reception was out

our
favourite restaurant ( a Japanese place - they threw in the

decoration for
free, we hadn't asked for it) and we asked the guests to pay for

their
dinner (at $25 per person) rather than give us gifts. We ate till

we
couldn't fit anything more in (and had leftovers), my parents

supplied the
cake, and there was lots of booze left over (we're going to drink

the last
bottle tonight - its our 1st anniversary today) and everyone said it

was the
most relaxed and comfortable wedding they'd ever been to - and the

cheapest
(some people did bring gifts, but they were sweet, thoughtful, nont

"wedding
present" small electrical appliance - priced gifts) to boot. I think

we
probably payed less than $1000 when everything got added up. It was

just the
right combination of formal ceremony and casual celebration for us.

I'd do
it again!

Yowie

Oh, I just got to this, I'm *still* catching up! I can't believe it's
been a year already, congratulations! Wow! I hope you have a great
anniversary, and many more :-)

Old November 8th 04, 06:36 AM
Jean Hobbs

Me I'm married *and* divorced, But I must have missed more than Steve as I
have never heard of it, the only cake in the face I know is the slapstick
kind,
and that never made me laugh either. Jean.P.

wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:

Us too - I never did like the smooshing the cake in the face "joke". I
think when you are celebrating your love you should at least show each

other
some respect and kindness. Feeding each other cake is supposed to

symbolize
taking care of and providing for one another, not humiliating one

another.

Not to mention wasting perfectly good cake!

Joyce