Co Op bargains

Old April 11th 15, 03:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Co Op bargains

On 4/10/2015 10:17 PM, MaryL wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
there is sugar in Felix. Whiskas and Kit-e-Kat don't have sugar in.
No cat food with sugar in will ever touch my cat's lips to ruin his
teeth.
He
is 13 and every time he goes to the vet yearly for checks, his teeth
are
perfect.

Even before I had to feed Persia prescription food I never saw any
form of
sugar listed in the ingredients in cat food.

Jill

I can assure you, Jill, that most catfood here has "various sugars"
listed in the ingredients. Including Felix which promotes itself as a premium
brand. Whiskas & Kit-e-Kat have no sugar in. It would not matter a jot if
Boyfie would allow me to clean his teeth. He could eat the cat food with
sugar in all he wanted, but will not allow it so he doesn't get it.
I said upthread that my German friend alerted me to sugar in cat
food. So then I started to examine the ingredients on every tin and brand and
it was true. Most brands have sugar in.
Not for my boy. I'm glad I took notice of her. Boyfie is 13 now and his
teeth are still perfect.

This thread piqued my curiosity again. I looked up the ingredients in
Fancy Feast liver & chicken because I know that several on this list use
that one (I don't -- I use Wellness no-grains). There are no sugars. I
did not take the time to look up any others, but I thought I would at
least look up one type that I know some of our readers use. I do
strongly agree with Christina that we should avoid all food with sugar
for our beloved cats. I suspect most on this list would agree.

MaryL

I have never seen any form of sugar listed in ingredients (wet or dry)
for cat food in the US. Perhaps things are different with cat food in
the UK. shrug

Jill
Old April 14th 15, 07:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...o-obesity.aspx

see sugar added

Old April 16th 15, 11:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

"various sugars" are listed in the ingredients of a lot of cat food here.
Including Felix. I used to buy Felix for Boyfie until I read the
ingredients.
It's up to me to take care of his health: he relies on me for that. No way
would he allow me to clean his teeth.
I have to get Claire in to help me put his spot on Stronghold stuff on. The
minute he thinks "something is going on" he's off to the hills.
So we do it craftily. Claire visits as normal. She takes the Stronghold
capsule and opens it outside the house so he cannot smell it. Then I hold
him and she comes back in and applies it to the back of his neck;-)
Boyfie hates it. He doesn't like "being messed with"

Old April 17th 15, 12:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry, but I've never heard of Felix cat food. I don't know much about
commercial cat food since Persia had to eat prescription food most of
her life. That would be 11 out of the 13 years she owned me. She did
have to have a couple of teeth pulled when she got older but I don't
think it had anything to do with what she ate.

I avoid sugar and I still had to have a couple of crowns and a filling
in my life. I'm a heck of a lot older than she was. Fortunately I
still have all my natural teeth.

It's up to me to take care of his health: he relies on me for that. No way
would he allow me to clean his teeth.

Persia would never have allowed me to brush her teeth. It is my
understanding you have to start doing that very early (kittenhood) in
order to have them accept it. Momma cats don't brush their kittens teeth.

I have to get Claire in to help me put his spot on Stronghold stuff on. The
minute he thinks "something is going on" he's off to the hills.
So we do it craftily. Claire visits as normal. She takes the Stronghold
capsule and opens it outside the house so he cannot smell it. Then I hold
him and she comes back in and applies it to the back of his neck;-)
Boyfie hates it. He doesn't like "being messed with"

My neighbor once asked me to come over and help her hold down Schwartzie
so she could put a drop of flea treatment (Frontline, Stronghold,
similar) on the back of his neck. He is the most docile cat in the
world but NOPE! He absolutely wouldn't let her do it. Yep, it took two
of us.

Jill
Old April 17th 15, 01:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rusty[_2_]

On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 7:52:55 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

You have to start when the cat is still young, not necessary kitten hood.
Rusty was 1 year old when I adopted him.
I started brushing his teeth right away on my mother's urging.
Her cat Scruffy had teeth problem that needed teeth cleaning.
So she started brushing his teeth at the vet's urging.
He was also full grown by then.

Rusty loved the taste of his cat toothpaste which made it easy.
When I had to pill him, I brushed his teeth followed by a quick push
of the pill down the throat. His toothbrush was in the shape of a thimble
and it protected my finger. I was never bitten.
But eventually Rusty caught on, and I had
to find another way to pill him.
Rusty's teeth were good for a long time, but eventually he still needed
to have 2 teeth pulled. Just like for humans, you can still have teeth
problem despite tooth brushing.

Combing and fur brushing was an entirely different matter.
Rusty just hated it and it was a constant battle.
Putting stuff on his fur was not a problem for us.
Neither was squirting liquid med down his throat.
Unfortunately, not all his med are available in liquid form.

Winnie

Old April 17th 15, 03:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Absolutely true. It's not just food, it's just a fact of life. I brush
my teeth three times a day but I've still had my share of trips to the
dentist.

Combing and fur brushing was an entirely different matter.
Rusty just hated it and it was a constant battle.
Putting stuff on his fur was not a problem for us.
Neither was squirting liquid med down his throat.
Unfortunately, not all his med are available in liquid form.

Winnie

Awwww. Sorry about Rusty not liking to be brushed. Persia was a
short-hair kitty but she absolutely *loved* to be brushed.

I don't even know why I bought a cat brush. I just thought since she
liked getting scritches she'd like to be brushed. And I was right!
She'd purr like crazy when I brought out the brush. She'd roll over and
let me brush her belly. She couldn't get enough of it. When I put it
down she'd try to brush herself. Oh, that's another phrase she
understood: "Want to get brushed?" I didn't even have to show her
the brush. She understood me.

Jill
Old April 28th 15, 09:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Rusty" wrote in message
Combing and fur brushing was an entirely different matter.

Rusty just hated it and it was a constant battle.
Putting stuff on his fur was not a problem for us.
Neither was squirting liquid med down his throat.
Unfortunately, not all his med are available in liquid form.

Winnie

Boyfie likes being groomed with a Zoom Groom thing but anything else
touching him is a no-no. Takes two to do anything even slightly medical
like his Spot on for fleas and worms.
He will never have fleas because my house is too cold for them. They like
central heating, warm houses.
I once came home with a flea on my clothing, it jumped into the warm water
I was washing myself in and drowned. Maybe it thought "better to drown than
freeze"
I know where I got it from.
My brother's house. Maisie and Tigger always have fleas. Bad luck there
then. Boyfie has never had fleas. Ever.

Old April 30th 15, 02:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

"Rusty" wrote in message
Combing and fur brushing was an entirely different matter.

Rusty just hated it and it was a constant battle.
Putting stuff on his fur was not a problem for us.
Neither was squirting liquid med down his throat.
Unfortunately, not all his med are available in liquid form.

Winnie

Boyfie likes being groomed with a Zoom Groom thing but anything else
touching him is a no-no. Takes two to do anything even slightly medical
like his Spot on for fleas and worms.
He will never have fleas because my house is too cold for them. They like
central heating, warm houses.

They do pretty well in places that don't have central heating, such as my
apartment. But then again, this is California, where it never gets cold enough
to kill off all the fleas.

--
Joyce

God's original plan was to hang out in a garden with some naked
vegetarians.
-- Seen on a wall poster