I'M GOING TO BE A GRAMMY CAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old August 29th 10, 02:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

Default I'M GOING TO BE A GRAMMY CAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Yowie" wrote
Phoenix wrote:

Deborah
who wonders if you also filk...

Please explain 'filk' for the unwashed masses (such as myself).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filk_music

Very popular at Star Trek and other fantacy/SF conventions. Often extremely
funny.

Old August 29th 10, 04:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

cshenk wrote:
"tanadashoes" wrote
Ted Davis wrote:

Anyone up for a meet and greet especially down US 40?

US Route 40 or Interstate 40? - both run east-west. I live a few
miles south of I 40 in South Central Missouri.

We'll be going through North Carolina, Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma,
New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Oregon, Washington State (but in
reverse order) I'd love to find a way to meet though.

Pam, how close to Norfolk?

Quite a ways, actually. We'll be mainly traveling the I-40 corridor as
we can get to it easily and it works best of the various routes.
Someday, I'm going to take that Eisenhower Tunnel via I-70. I've been
wanting to ever since I read Steven King's "The Stand." Yeah, I'm
rather macabre.

Pam S.
Old August 29th 10, 07:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Phoenix[_2_]

Yowie wrote:

Please explain 'filk' for the unwashed masses (such as myself).

You know those kitty Christmas carols?

That's filk, about cats.

Although it's more than that, as well.

I know it's a bunch of smart, funny, creative folks who sing,
play instruments, laugh, cry, and support each other. It's
original music and new words to existing music; it's often about
SF/fantasy themes (or cats, or faere or just reeeeeallly bad
puns). When I went to my first filk convention in January of
2009, I felt I'd come home.

Kinda like stumbling onto RPCA.

The wikipedia link downthread has lots of good information.

Deborah
who has written new words for old tunes since she was a
barekitten, practically, but didn't know that others did that
(and more, APPPRECIATED it)

--

"Of all the forms of inequality, injustice in health care is the
most shocking and inhumane."-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Old September 1st 10, 12:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

In ,
Phoenix typed:
Yowie wrote:

Please explain 'filk' for the unwashed masses (such as myself).

You know those kitty Christmas carols?

That's filk, about cats.

Although it's more than that, as well.

I know it's a bunch of smart, funny, creative folks who sing,
play instruments, laugh, cry, and support each other. It's
original music and new words to existing music; it's often about
SF/fantasy themes (or cats, or faere or just reeeeeallly bad
puns). When I went to my first filk convention in January of
2009, I felt I'd come home.

Kinda like stumbling onto RPCA.

The wikipedia link downthread has lots of good information.

Deborah
who has written new words for old tunes since she was a
barekitten, practically, but didn't know that others did that
(and more, APPPRECIATED it)

Ah. Yowie was enlightened.

Filk also happens at roleplaying conventions. It usually starts with The
Lumberjack Song from Monty Python that everyone joins in, and then sort of
evolves from there. More singing that instruments, perhaps less actual filk
and more known songs (often theme tunes) than sci-fi conventions (and
definitely less than Filk conventions), but yes, I have joined in the
singing part of filking, even if my solo singing would cause deafness for
miles around :-)

Yowie