recommended amounts on canned food

Old May 14th 05, 03:31 AM
Mary

"blueberries79" wrote

We're getting closer... I will tell you what I read and maybe that will
work! The label on one tin said "feed 1 1/2 cans per 6-8 lbs body weight
for an adult cat" while the next one said "feed 2 cans per 6-8 lbs body
weight" and yet another said "feed 3 cans per 6-8 lbs body weight"

I understood exactly what you were saying, as did most people. We have
all read these cat food cans.

Old May 14th 05, 04:10 AM
Cheryl

On Fri 13 May 2005 08:08:09p, Gary wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
roups.com):

I think a normal, healthy, active cat will regulate itself on
how much to eat, unless there are other factors, like having to
compete with other animals for food, etc.

If they aren't *obviously* unhealthy and you don't know exactly how
much they're eating and when, you might not be clued in on a
problem early enough to make a difference. This is particularly
true if you have multiple cats.

Also, unless they are
exclusively indoor cats, they probably eat things that are not
"on the menu" while they are out and about. So I guess it is up
to us to figure out how much to feed them on an individual
basis, realizing some days they won't eat much at all, while
other days, they eat everything in sight.

Good point. Though my 4 don't eat food not "on the menu", sometimes
they eat more one day, the next not as much, then back to "normal"
and so on. It's when they consistently aren't eating what they used
to that should send up red flags.

My cat gets about half
of a 5-1/2 oz can of Friskies every morning, along with dry food
on the side and does fine, although she does expect some kind
of little treat in the evening. (Probably, this is a nasty side
effect from watching too much TV!)

Sounds like a good amount to me. I think the key is finding a
variety of foods whether it be wet, dry, combo, that keeps the cat
at an even weight. Shamrock for example weighs 11 pounds. He
weighed 11 pounds when I adopted him, and every checkup he weighs
11 pounds. If only every cat were as regulated as him!

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields
Old May 14th 05, 04:39 AM
Cheryl

On Fri 13 May 2005 10:24:22p, blueberries79 wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav (news:0kdhe.16261$aB.8525@lakeread03):

We're getting closer... I will tell you what I read and maybe
that will work! The label on one tin said "feed 1 1/2 cans per
6-8 lbs body weight for an adult cat" while the next one said
"feed 2 cans per 6-8 lbs body weight" and yet another said "feed
3 cans per 6-8 lbs body weight" - the last one is what really
shocked me. That would mean Gabe should be getting 6 cans a
day! way wayyyy too much - The last one was in a boxed set, so
the more I think about it, I am wondering if they were smaller
tins just made by the same company; in that case 3 tins might
equal 1 1/2 or 2 tins of the larger ones I was looking at.
Regardless, the fact is that I picked up 2 of the exact same
food by the exact same manufacturer with just a different flavor
label and one said "1 1/2" and the other said "2"

Better? This is where I should have brought my husband in...
hes much better at saying something in just a few words and not
having to say it 3 times before the point gets across. I tend
to ramble and not make any sense
:P

NP I understand where you're coming from with the pet food
labels and recommended amounts, but I never pay attention to them.
That's my point. I guess I've read here long enough to know to
disregard them. But it can be confusing. If a single can of one
variety or flavor says to feed 2 cans per day, in order for another
variety or other flavor and differing ingredients to keep to the 2
can per day allowance, one or the other has to either add water,
remove fat, add fiber/carbs etc etc to make the calorie intake
exactly the same. Does that make sense? If they muck with one
flavor so that the calorie content matches the other, one might not
be palatable. Look at the calorie content to make the decision on
how much to feed. You also have to allow for the activity level of
the cat being fed.

I had a cat who required a certain amount of calories per day for
his liver to heal from hepatic lipidosis. I found an online KCAL
calculator that told you exact number of MGs, ounces or even MLs to
feed per day to get that correct intake based on the severity of
illness. Most people don't need this to be so exact. I like what
William Hamblen just wrote - put the food down for a certain amount
of time, what they don't eat is too much food put down. Adjust from
there.

Old May 14th 05, 01:05 PM
Phil P.

"blueberries79" wrote in message

We're getting closer... I will tell you what I read and maybe that will
work! The label on one tin said "feed 1 1/2 cans per 6-8 lbs body weight
for an adult cat" while the next one said "feed 2 cans per 6-8 lbs body
weight" and yet another said "feed 3 cans per 6-8 lbs body weight" -

Disregard label recommendations- they don't take into consideration sex
status, activity level, indoor/outdoor, age-associated changes, or risk
factor management. Right off the bat, neutered cats require about 33% less
calories a day than intact cats, inactive cats also require less calories.
Label recommendations are responsible for many overweight cats

There's no one-size-fits-all diet for cats. Nutritional management should
be based on the individual cat's needs and circumstances.

Here's a simple formula you can use as a guide- or starting point for a good
nutritional management program. From here you'll have to fine tune the diet
to your individual cat's needs:

Weigh your cat and keep a record of her weight and diet (food and amount and
feeding pattern. Then, assign a body condition score according to this
chart: http://maxshouse.com/nutrition/Body_...stem-Chart.jpg

Start your cat's nutritional management program by feeding ~45 kcals/kg/day
(assuming your cat is neutered). You may need to contact the petfood mfg.
for the energy density (kcals/g or kcals/can or cup), "as fed" % protein, %
fat, and % carbs of the diet you're feeding. For example, Science Diet
Adult Turkey contains 95 kcal/ 3 oz (85 g) can and 174 kcal/ 5.5 oz (156 g)
can.

An 'average' 4 kg, neutered, indoor, moderate-to inactive cat has a daily
energy requirement (DER) of about 180 kcals. So, one 5.5 oz can (174 kcals)
divided into 2 or 3 feedings should be just about right and a good starting
point. You don't have to be super critical with serving sizes, but the more
accurate you are, the easier it will be to fine tune the diet to reach and
maintain your cat's optimum weight.

If your cat's DER requires more or less than a can, you might want to weigh
the servings until you can judge the amounts to feed. $10-$20 diet scales
are accurate enough. Here's a simple formula for determining how much food
to feed:

Protein= 3.5 kcal/gram; Fat= 8.5 kcal/gram; Carbohydrate= 3.5 kcal/gram.

Based on SD Adult Turkey:
Multiply the As fed % protein x 3.5
Multiply the As Fed % fat x 8.5
Multiply the As Fed % carb x 3.5 and add the products.

e.g., protein: 11%- .11 X 3.5 = 0.385
carbohydrate: 5.7 %- 0.057 X 3.5 = 0.20
fat: 6.2%: 0.065 X 8.5 = 0.553
Caloric Density = 1.138 kcal/gram

If your cat has a DER of 225 kcals/day, divide 1.138 into 225 = 198 grams of
food - or 1, 5.5 oz can + 1/2, 3 oz can divided into 2 feedings/day. If you
decide to weigh the servings, buying the large 12 oz/404 g cans would be
much more economical. Just feed 2, 100 g or 3, 65 g servings/day. After you
see how much 100 g of food looks like, you won't need the scale.

The same formula works for dry food- just different As Fed values. You'll
be amazed by how much more volume of dry food needs to be fed to meet the
same caloric value - much of which ends up in the ltterbox since dry food
isn't as digestible as equal-quality canned food.

Best of luck,

Phil.

Old May 14th 05, 04:59 PM
Steve C

On Fri, 13 May 2005 17:08:09 -0700, Gary wrote:

I think a normal, healthy, active cat will regulate itself on how much to
eat, unless there are other factors, like having to compete with other
animals for food, etc. Also, unless they are exclusively indoor cats,
they probably eat things that are not "on the menu" while they are out and
about. So I guess it is up to us to figure out how much to feed them on
an individual basis, realizing some days they won't eat much at all, while
other days, they eat everything in sight. My cat gets about half of a
5-1/2 oz can of Friskies every morning, along with dry food on the side
and does fine, although she does expect some kind of little treat in the
evening. (Probably, this is a nasty side effect from watching too much
TV!)

How can you tell if they are self regulating their food as opposed to
simply not liking canned meat? I ask because we have recently switched
from dry food to wet, due to them both being over weight. We have been
giving them about 6-7 oz each in 2 "sittings", however they never finish
their bowls and often we are throwing about half of what was put down
before we give them their next portion.
They certainly don't seem to be going hungry as they don't pester us like
they used to when they wanted more dry food. They ARE losing weight, but
I'm worried they are doing so because they aren't eating enough because of
their dislike of wet food.
Any thoughts, or am I worrying for nothing?

--
Steve.

scook94atGmaildotCom

Old May 14th 05, 07:17 PM
Mary

"Steve C" wrote

How can you tell if they are self regulating their food as opposed to
simply not liking canned meat? I ask because we have recently switched
from dry food to wet, due to them both being over weight. We have been
giving them about 6-7 oz each in 2 "sittings", however they never finish
their bowls and often we are throwing about half of what was put down
before we give them their next portion.
They certainly don't seem to be going hungry as they don't pester us like
they used to when they wanted more dry food. They ARE losing weight, but
I'm worried they are doing so because they aren't eating enough because of
their dislike of wet food.
Any thoughts, or am I worrying for nothing?

The same thing happened when I took Buddha off of dry
food--she threw up the wet and did not finish it. Now she
eats every bit and begs for more, and like your cats, she is
losing weight.

I think 6-7 oz per cat in one sitting is the reason they are leaving
food. That is a lot of food. How big are these cats, and how
active are they? How old are they? If they are 10-lb cats (or that
is the weight you think they should be) I would think something like
5 oz per cat per feeding might be adequate, particularly if you
want them to lose weight. In any case, they are not going to
self-regulate in the direction of too LITTLE food. They would
be more inclined to eat more than they need. And if the wet
is all they have and they are hungry, they will eat it.

Old May 14th 05, 09:11 PM

the fact is, 5 oz twice a day is less than
the OP is feeding them now, so it would
be a step in the right direction.

It is NOT a step in the right direction as the amount you recommended
will still cause weight gain, which is exactly the opposite of what the
OP is trying to achieve. You have a great way of underlining your own
stupidity.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old May 14th 05, 09:30 PM
Mary

wrote in message
the fact is, 5 oz twice a day is less than
the OP is feeding them now, so it would
be a step in the right direction.

It is NOT a step in the right direction as the amount you recommended
will still cause weight gain, which is exactly the opposite of what the
OP is trying to achieve.

This when you have no idea of the size, age, or physical
condition of the cats in question. Right.

You have a great way of underlining your own
stupidity.

Oh, yeah, that's what's going on here.