Servicing the litterbox.

Old September 5th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Servicing the litterbox.

Blimey. When I got KFC a box to use - having never had one before - I
naively thought that with one tiny 4lb cat using it, I might get away with
scooping a 16x11 inch box every 2-3 days.
Not so.
Every evening after work finds me on my hands and knees shovelling and
sieving clumps through my cat litter scoop and wrapping the results in
newspaper to go into the garbage.
I quickly abandoned the very expensive clumping litter of a fine grade. We
got through a bag costing nearly 10 dollars in less than 10 days. Plus it
stuck like glue to the bottom of the box and tracked everywhere.

I bought a 12kg bag of coarser clumping litter for the same price to try on
Monday. Completely cleaned the box out and filled it right up Monday night
with absolute pristine litter.
Tonight found me on my knees again sieving out huge quantities of pee
clumps, almost half the litter was peed up. Plus a couple of the other,
which was definitely from Kitty, white from the bones of the collared dove.

I need some advice. Is this normal? Can a tiny cat pee up nearly the
whole box in less than 48 hours?
If so, how do you who have a lot of cats cope with litterbox duties? It
must be your life's work :-)

Tweed

Old September 5th 06, 08:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2006-09-05, Christina Websell penned:

I bought a 12kg bag of coarser clumping litter for the same price to
try on Monday. Completely cleaned the box out and filled it right
up Monday night with absolute pristine litter. Tonight found me on
my knees again sieving out huge quantities of pee clumps, almost
half the litter was peed up. Plus a couple of the other, which was
definitely from Kitty, white from the bones of the collared dove.

I need some advice. Is this normal? Can a tiny cat pee up nearly
the whole box in less than 48 hours? If so, how do you who have a
lot of cats cope with litterbox duties? It must be your life's work
:-)

Sounds excessive to me. Unless your definition of "peed up" is
different than mine, which may very well be.

I clean the litter box about once a week. Granted, most folks here
would probably accuse me of cat abuse for this kind of neglect, but
Oscar's okay with it.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old September 5th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 19:35:51 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

TuTu is a big cat and see goes 2-3 times a day and generally once at night.
Has she been checked for diabetes? MLBN

Old September 5th 06, 08:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

Default Servicing the litterbox. CRF by-product?

Well that is part of CRF as I know it. It's why, I believe, people often
give fluids.

Old September 5th 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Debbie Wilson

Christina Websell wrote:

I need some advice. Is this normal? Can a tiny cat pee up nearly the
whole box in less than 48 hours?
If so, how do you who have a lot of cats cope with litterbox duties? It
must be your life's work :-)

I wouldn't be worried - at least she is using it. Each one of my cats
produces varying amounts of pee. Willow can pee for England, the two
boys much more modest amounts. Cocoa is usually OK except if she gets
cystitis (rarely) then it's tiny amounts and off to TED.

Willow could easily pee up a box in 48 hrs or less. If all my cats are
in, there would be 2 boxes changed twice daily, to give you an idea.
I hate the gravel-type litter. As you found, it turns into sticky clay
when wet and quickly ruins a plastic litter tray, and is nasty to clean
out. Pine pellets are OK but they track easily and will stain
light-coloured floors. Mine are all happy with 'Yesterday's News', a
recycled newspaper pellet litter, which doesn't track, doesn't smell and
easily tips out of the box without sticking when cleaned up. I keep a
small plastic dustbin (child's toy bin) next to the tray, with a bin
liner in, which the used litter gets tipped into, and the tray given a
quick wipe with kitchen roll and Trigene (cat-safe disinfectant) before
refilling with about 4-5 mugfulls of the litter. This makes it quick and
easy to change the tray and the lidded bin keeps the used litter from
smelling until it is emptied.

A 10 kg bag of Yesterday's News will last me about 2 weeks (4 cats, 2
trays) under these circumstances, and it costs about £11 at my local
shop.

May or may not be a useful comparison, anyway-

HTH

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old September 5th 06, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Karen" wrote in message
Well that is part of CRF as I know it. It's why, I believe, people often
give fluids.

The vet has said she's nowhere near needing fluids yet (Phew) Spoke to TED
today.

Tweed

Old September 5th 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

"Debbie Wilson" wrote in message

Willow can pee for England

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

Old September 5th 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Debbie Wilson

Karen wrote:

"Debbie Wilson" wrote in message

Willow can pee for England

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

:-))) Yep, if nothing else, we'd get a gold in that one.

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old September 5th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dan M

I need some advice. Is this normal? Can a tiny cat pee up nearly the
whole box in less than 48 hours?
If so, how do you who have a lot of cats cope with litterbox duties? It
must be your life's work :-)

We've got 6 cats in the house. We also have 7 litter boxes, and the
kitties also use the back yard for their litter some of the time. Even so,
I have to scoop the litter boxes at least once a day, sometimes twice.
They seem to prefer two of the boxes specially; those boxes need to be
scooped twice most days.

Old September 5th 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

On 2006-09-05, Christina Websell penned:

I bought a 12kg bag of coarser clumping litter for the same price to
try on Monday. Completely cleaned the box out and filled it right
up Monday night with absolute pristine litter. Tonight found me on
my knees again sieving out huge quantities of pee clumps, almost
half the litter was peed up. Plus a couple of the other, which was
definitely from Kitty, white from the bones of the collared dove.

Sounds excessive to me. Unless your definition of "peed up" is
different than mine, which may very well be.

My definition of "peed up" is when most of the litter looks darker in
colour and when I investigate with the scoop a lot is clumped and stuck to
the bottom of the box and the clean litter is only on top.

I clean the litter box about once a week. Granted, most folks here
would probably accuse me of cat abuse for this kind of neglect, but
Oscar's okay with it.

It's entirely up to you how often you clean Oscar's litterbox. None of my
business, oh, excuse the unintentional pun..
Maybe I might get more relaxed about a dirty litterbox at the side of my
toilet but I doubt it. I get visitors, who sometimes ask to use my toilet.
No problem with a cat lover, but some are not. Big problem with non-cat
lovers who notice something big deposited in the last five minutes. Kitty
does not bury.

Tweed