Health purrs please

Old September 26th 06, 02:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen AKA Kajikit

Default Health purrs please

I've had this really weird and embarassing health problem for six
years (no, it's not BO :P ) - I hiccup and burp all the time and feel
like I can't breathe right and there's crud in my throat, and when I
go to bed at night I have a strong tendancy to wake myself up either
with the above or with outright choking... I'll go from a sound sleep
to sitting bolt upright in bed gasping for breath with my heart
pounding. I always thought it was just part of my general neurosis and
anxiety and I was 'just' having panic attacks in my sleep, so I
refused to go to the doctors about it (I DID the doctor thing years
ago and they said nothing was wrong), but John thought it must be
something physical... he thought sleep apnea but I've always said that
that doesn't 'feel right' to me because it doesn't happen ALL the time
- it comes and goes mysteriously and in between times I sleep soundly,
and my breathing is kind of screwy while I'm awake too. Last night I
was browsing and I came across something that might explain it
perfectly, and it's NOT 'all in my head'.

John's going to buy me some prilosec to try today, because if the
article was right, I've had GERD all along. It's hard to believe it
could be so SIMPLE! Please purr hard for the medicine to work and be
side-effect free...
Old September 26th 06, 02:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

That sure sounds like GERD to me. Purrs that the prilosec works! My mom and
sister have it. Smaller meals seem to help. Not eating a while before bed
seems to also.

Old September 26th 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 09:08:31 -0400, Karen AKA Kajikit
yodeled:

[...]

Acid reflux? Purrs.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old September 26th 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Randy

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
[...]

My mom had similar simptoms and it was diagnosed as GERD. The doctor put her on
prilosec and she has not had any problems since then.

Purrs on the way for your complete recovery.

Randy

http://www.crmartin.zoomshare.com

Old September 26th 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kilikini

[...]

I hope that's all it is, Karen. That's got to be kind of scary to wake up
at night like that. Purrs that this stuff works for you!

kili

Old September 26th 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
[...]

Purrs on the way! I have a feeling that John may be right.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old September 26th 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Purrs are on the way. It certainly sounds like GERD to me. Those are
exactly the same symptoms I have. Sometimes an antacid like Gaviscon will
relieve the symptoms if you have them even after taking the Prilosec. If
it's really bad at night, I go out in the living room and sit with my feet
up.

It would be a good idea to see a gastroenterologist, though. S/he will
probably want to do an upper endoscopy. [Suggestion: Ask them to put you
out. I've had it done both ways. When I'm not out, I gag during the test
and it takes me hours to recover from the sedative. When I'm out, I don't
know what they're doing, and I wake up completely with a clear head a few
minutes after the test is finished.] GERD can sometimes cause problems in
the esophagus, and the endoscopy can spot them so they can be treated. If
the Prilosec does it, great. If not, there are stronger things the doctor
can prescribe. GERD never goes away, but it is possible to treat the
symptoms, and it definitely isn't a mental problem.

Joy

Old September 26th 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen AKA Kajikit

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 17:59:04 GMT, "Joy" wrote:

[...]

I'm going to try the prilosec first... if I'm lucky it will take care
of it, at least for now. I've been seriously wondering if I was going
nuts because it's gotten so much worse over the last few months...
John was even asking if I was 'happy' being married to him, because I
didn't have these problems for quite a while last year and they've
suddenly come back! He wants to know if I'm particularly anxious or
depressed or stressed, but I'm no more anxious than usual except for
the sleeping thing! (It's more likely that last year we were eating a
healthier diet and eating earlier in the evenings, so my system wasn't
getting so upset...)
Last night I didn't eat till really late (ironically just before I did
the reading - if I'd read the article first I wouldn't have HAD
dinner, I'd have just stayed hungry for the sake of sleeping!) so I
didn't get to sleep properly till 3am.
Old September 26th 06, 08:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen AKA Kajikit

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 09:42:15 -0400, Kreisleriana
wrote:

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 09:08:31 -0400, Karen AKA Kajikit
yodeled:

John's going to buy me some prilosec to try today, because if the
article was right, I've had GERD all along. It's hard to believe it
could be so SIMPLE! Please purr hard for the medicine to work and be
side-effect free...

Acid reflux? Purrs.

'Xactly... tums help kill the acid, but only for a few hours at a time
- then it often comes back worse than before. Hopefully prilosec will
be 'the answer'...
Old September 27th 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Karen wrote:

That sure sounds like GERD to me. Purrs that the prilosec works! My mom and
sister have it. Smaller meals seem to help. Not eating a while before bed
seems to also.

Is GERD the same thing as acid reflux?

I've been wondering if I might have the same thing, although my symptoms
are very different. I don't have anything Karen described, but I have had
some intense, stabbing pains in my esophagus about half an hour after
eating, especially if I recline shortly after eating (which I often do,
because I watch TV while eating, and I often stay and finish watching the
episode after I'm done eating. The pains would go away as soon as I ate
something bland, like yogurt.

I've cut down on drinking tea this week and it hasn't been bothering me
as much.

I've occasionally woken up gasping for breath and from dreaming that I was
choking, but I think that's post-nasal drip, not stomach acid. But who knows?

Does anyone with GERD/acid reflux have stabbing pains in the upper
esophagus after eating?

Purrs for the prilosec to help you feel better, Karen!

Joyce

Purrs from a purr-less Lisakatt Cat anecdotes 20 December 20th 05 11:39 PM
OT health purrs, please Annie Wxill Cat anecdotes 38 December 19th 05 07:25 PM
Purrs, please? JBHajos Cat anecdotes 37 December 16th 05 04:40 AM
UPDATE - Purrs for TED (RB 10/22/05) Magic Mood Jeep© Cat anecdotes 10 October 26th 05 11:02 PM
Multi-purpose purrs jmcquown Cat anecdotes 22 November 23rd 04 03:16 PM