Cat euthanized while owners are away...

Old October 18th 07, 08:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kraut

Default Cat euthanized while owners are away...

I think every one should email them and tell them what you think of
them!!!

Their email is:

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 19:38:55 -0700, "
wrote:

Watch the video.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_15847.aspx

Pet Owners Outraged After Cat Euthanized While They're Away
Wednesday October 17, 2007
CityNews.ca Staff
A Mississauga couple is fuming after their pet cat was put to sleep by
a local animal shelter while they were away on vacation.

Krinkles (pictured) was taken to Mississauga Animal Services last
week, when he was found roaming the streets. But his vacationing
owners came home to find out their favourite feline had died at the
hands of shelter workers.

"He was our family. He slept with us every night, you know what I
mean?" said grieving owner Mark Serra.

When Serra arrived home from his trip, he wasn't greeted by his
beloved cat but rather a letter from Animal Services saying it caught
their cat and euthanized it. And to add insult to injury, they billed
him for their trouble for $132.50.

"For impound fee, boarding fee, surrender fee, service fee, and goods
and services for killing the animal," he angrily notes.

The letter claims that the tabby was picked up October 10th but the
family didn't return home from their vacation until the 14th.

They claim the cat should have never been put to sleep since it had an
I.D. tag and was microchipped.

Animal Services said they called one of the many contact numbers, but
after three days they put Krinkles down because he was acting too
aggressively. "We feel terrible," said spokesperson Janet Michaud. "We
know that this was someone's pet. Unfortunately the cat didn't adapt
to being here. We weren't able to find him a new home."

Animal Services has agreed to waive the bill, but Serra says it's not
good enough for a family now mourning their cat.

"Those people as far as I'm concerned have no heart," he concludes.

Old October 18th 07, 10:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen AKA Kajikit

wrote:

Watch the video.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_15847.aspx

Pet Owners Outraged After Cat Euthanized While They're Away
Wednesday October 17, 2007
CityNews.ca Staff
A Mississauga couple is fuming after their pet cat was put to sleep by
a local animal shelter while they were away on vacation.

Wasn't someone looking after the cat while they were on their
vacation?! Didn't they notice that said cat had disappeared? If I was
cat-sitting and my charge didn't show up for dinner, I'd know
something was wrong pretty soon and do something about it!

(all the same, if the cat was chipped, it should have had alternate
contact information so that the shelter could get in touch with
SOMEBODY. When we registered ours, they asked for a second number in
case we couldn't be reached...)
Old October 19th 07, 12:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bill Stock

Default Q: Which nosy neighbour called the 'animal shelter'

wrote in message
ups.com...
Watch the video.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_15847.aspx

I live in Mississauga and I can tell you that Animal Control is not roaming
the streets. Which means that some kind neighbour called them.

Old October 19th 07, 12:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jeanne Hedge

wrote:

Watch the video.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_15847.aspx

Pet Owners Outraged After Cat Euthanized While They're Away
Wednesday October 17, 2007
CityNews.ca Staff
A Mississauga couple is fuming after their pet cat was put to sleep by
a local animal shelter while they were away on vacation.

Wasn't someone looking after the cat while they were on their
vacation?! Didn't they notice that said cat had disappeared? If I was
cat-sitting and my charge didn't show up for dinner, I'd know
something was wrong pretty soon and do something about it!

(all the same, if the cat was chipped, it should have had alternate
contact information so that the shelter could get in touch with
SOMEBODY. When we registered ours, they asked for a second number in
case we couldn't be reached...)

If the kitty had tags, why didn't someone from the shelter check with
the neighbors?

Jeanne Hedge

============
http://www.jhedge.com
Old October 19th 07, 03:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 19:41:21 -0400, Bill Stock wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...
Watch the video.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_15847.aspx

I live in Mississauga and I can tell you that Animal Control is not roaming
the streets. Which means that some kind neighbour called them.

I notice that Animal Control is quoted as saying that they "called one of
the many contact numbers." In other words, they had multiple contact
numbers, but tried only one of them before deciding to euthanize the cat.
In any situation where you have multiple contact numbers listed, and the
first one doesn't get a response, common sense would be to try additional
numbers before taking an action you can't undo.

--
John F. Eldredge --

Old October 19th 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

John F. Eldredge wrote:

I notice that Animal Control is quoted as saying that they "called one of
the many contact numbers." In other words, they had multiple contact
numbers, but tried only one of them before deciding to euthanize the cat.
In any situation where you have multiple contact numbers listed, and the
first one doesn't get a response, common sense would be to try additional
numbers before taking an action you can't undo.

True, but you're talking about a mental quality which seems
to be in short supply, these days! ;-)
Old October 20th 07, 01:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

On 2007-10-17 21:38:55 -0500, "
said:

[...]

So who was watching this cat?

Old October 20th 07, 01:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"John F. Eldredge" wrote in
news

wrote in message
ups.com...
Watch the video.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_15847.aspx

I live in Mississauga and I can tell you that Animal Control is not
roaming the streets. Which means that some kind neighbour called
them.

I notice that Animal Control is quoted as saying that they "called one
of the many contact numbers." In other words, they had multiple
contact numbers, but tried only one of them before deciding to
euthanize the cat. In any situation where you have multiple contact
numbers listed, and the first one doesn't get a response, common sense
would be to try additional numbers before taking an action you can't
undo.

Assuming this has been reported accurately (which it may not have been)
it is pretty unforgiveable. If true I would count it as gross
negligence.

Andy
Old October 20th 07, 01:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

Outsider wrote in
:

"John F. Eldredge" wrote in
news

wrote in message
[...]

I just listened to the recorded report and the reporter quotes the
representative as saying they called "at least one" of the numbers listed
which sounds like doulbe talk and makes me believe they only called one
number.

Old October 20th 07, 05:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On 18 Oct, 14:00, Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:

Wasn't someone looking after the cat while they were on their
vacation?! Didn't they notice that said cat had disappeared? If I was
cat-sitting and my charge didn't show up for dinner, I'd know
something was wrong pretty soon and do something about it!

This scares the Hell outta me. Most years at least once, Sally will
ask me to catsit Ben. We used to work together and she knows I am as
mad about cats as she is (Whenever I see her I'll ask after Ben and
Lucy (her little girl) but I can never remember her husbands name)

Its' not a major chore, she only lives 5 minutes walk away so I pop
round, morning and afternoon to scoop the box, put down the food and
change water. Ben is indoor-outdoor with a catflap so he comes and
goes as he pleases. Sally leaves me the keys and always tells me
there's a couple of cans in the fridge for me (the first year I did
it, Xmas Day our internet connection went down and Dave was far from
full of festive cheer at that! I went round to Sally's, opened a can
and had the most peaceful hour of the festive season). Also I'll pick
up the post and leave it on the table for them but that's it.

Well when I first did it I didn't see Ben at all! Whether I was coming
in when he was out or he was asleep in one of the bedrooms I don't
know but although we'd been introduced perhaps he still didn't;like
the idea of a stranger in the house or whatever. I knew he was about,
the mornings food was eaten when I came in at night, water had been
drunk and the box needed cleaning also sometimes in the mornings I was
pretty sure that was Ben sitting on the wall at the end of the back
garden then again I had been told he was a bit shy and didn't like it
when Sally was away, Ben's a one woman feline and that woman isn't me
so I wasn't too worried

Anyway the point is Ben was chipped and tagged..and I am just sitting
here imaging if he'd been out and got picked up by Animal Control and
they'd just called one number....well...Possibly Sally might have
changed her answerphone message to say where she could be reached in
an emergency but perhaps not....and I wouldn't pick up her answerphone
messages as she hadn't asked me to or shown me how.

So if Animal Control had picked up Ben for some reason and they'd
called the house and got no answer....doesn;t bear thinking about...

Why didn't those people think to pop round and ask the neighbours
since they couldn't get an answer? All it would have taken was someone
to say "They;re on holiday they'll be back on....."

Or to try another number? Did the cat look like a stray? Looking at
the pictures I don;t think so

Nothing has been said about whether they made arrangements for someone
to care for their cat while they were away

If that had happened to Ben (and I can see how it could) Sally would
be heartbroken and I would be horrified

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs