Boyfie got hurt (he's okay)

Old November 1st 07, 01:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine Burel

Default Boyfie got hurt (he's okay)

lots of purrs for Boyfriend's speedy recovery!
regards,
Christine
"Christina Websell" wrote in message
Boyfie came in from rat patrol on Monday evening and went straight to bed
which is not unusual. What was a bit unusual was the look on his face. I
don't suppose anyone else would have noticed except me, who knows him so
well.
When he didn't get out of bed for his breakfast yesterday - well, that is
unheard of. As luck would have it I had the day off work so I could keep
an eye on him. When he *did* finally rise he could hardly put any weight
on one of his front legs.
A visit to TED, then. I picked him up but he clung on to his blanky with
the claws on his good foot and every time I disengaged them he managed to
do it again. Then he made a break for freedom from his carrier..
He wowled and shrieked all the way in the car.
He's been bitten through the shoulder joint by another cat. I suspect
that black one we call THE ENEMY who used to bully him although we have
had no trouble with him for the last couple of years he still lives
nearby.

Anyway he got an antibiotic injection & a painkilling one. TED said it
was a very bad place to get bitten in, very painful for movement. She
said "I remember meeting Boyfriend before, I put his microchip in, he's
such a lovely cat." I was amazed that she could remember him, this is a
big vet hospital with a huge turnover of patients. He also got some
antibiotic tablets for 5 days. There is no way I could physically put
them in his mouth - it would still freak him out if I forced myself on him
like that, so his first dose this evening was crushed and hidden in some
tiny pieces of chicken breast with gravy which he scarfed down thinking
his birthday had come ;-)

The vet is really kind. She is sensitive not just to the patient, but to
the owner too. She said "I don't suppose you've had to give tablets to
Boyfriend before have you?" She must have seen me gulp when she got the
pills out. And I am impressed that she remembered his history, how timid
he is and how difficult it might be.
She also remembered my RB whippets and mentioned some of them.

He's better than he was yesterday. He is only limping slightly, has an
appetite like a horse again and insisted on going out for an hour's rat
patrol tonight. Now he is very comfy back in the house on his donut bed.

TED asked me "Is he a fighter?" He is far from it. He's a pacifist or a
"big girl's blouse" however you want to put it. I prefer the former
description.
It was that horrible black cat, I tell you, attacking him in his own
garden, no doubt, like it used to do before. He would never cause
trouble himself, I know it.

Tweed

Old November 1st 07, 02:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
GaDragonfly

On Oct 31, 7:27 pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
[...]

Poor Boyfriend, my clowder sends purrs and gentle headbutts for his
quick recovery and I send chin and ear scritches. First let me thank
you for telling us in the header that he was all right. I would have
worried through your entire post had you not done that.

Anyway he got an antibiotic injection & a painkilling one. TED said it was
a very bad place to get bitten in, very painful for movement. She said "I
remember meeting Boyfriend before, I put his microchip in, he's such a
lovely cat." I was amazed that she could remember him, this is a big vet
hospital with a huge turnover of patients. He also got some antibiotic
tablets for 5 days. There is no way I could physically put them in his
mouth - it would still freak him out if I forced myself on him like that, so
his first dose this evening was crushed and hidden in some tiny pieces of
chicken breast with gravy which he scarfed down thinking his birthday had
come ;-)

Extra purrs for what sounds like a very special TED. My first thought
was you were going to have to go a rat hunting to find something to
entice Boyfriend to take his pill. I'm glad he likes eating the
chickens he's so fond of protecting. Or is he protecting you when he
goes to the chicken coops at night? Either way, I'm glad you have a
treat to hide the pills in.

TED asked me "Is he a fighter?" He is far from it. He's a pacifist or a
"big girl's blouse" however you want to put it. I prefer the former
description.
It was that horrible black cat, I tell you, attacking him in his own garden,
no doubt, like it used to do before. He would never cause trouble himself,
I know it.

Tweed

I wonder if The Enemy has decided that since the fence was temporarily
torn down then the dynamics of the territory has changed? Whatever
the reason I hope that you are able to control it soon. Could you
collect some of KFC's urine and sprinkle it around the fence so that
The Enemy smells her? I don't know if that would help..but urine keeps
the rabbits from eating my hosta. (You probably don't want to know how
I know that )

Julie

Old November 1st 07, 02:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
sam

Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

Purrs that Boyfie recovers quickly.
Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe
Old November 1st 07, 03:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

He's been bitten through the shoulder joint by another cat. I suspect
that
black one we call THE ENEMY who used to bully him although we have had
no
trouble with him for the last couple of years he still lives nearby.

This sounds all too familiar - Smudge has come home with a bite on her
paw or (recently) an abcess on her chest. Bullies in the neighborhood...

It's a problem, isn't it, if there are bully cats in the neighbourhood?
(this one lives only two houses away) It used to even come into my house
to bully poor Boyfie until KFC lost her temper about it and really smashed
him up one day and it kept away until now.
You should have seen her do it! She chased that cat - more than twice her
size and in it's prime age-wise, she was around 19 - up the walls in my
kitchen, it fled outside with her after it and she sprang on to its back
and gave it a really good hiding. She beat it up in a serious way,
I have a feeling that this cat, THE ENEMY, has realised that Kitty is not
up to it any more and has come back to bully my gentle Boyfie who does not
like to fight.
This will be a problem. I shall have to think about solutions.
Suggestions welcomed.

Tweed

I feel bad for Boyfie. Like I should apopogize on behalf of cats that are
bullies everywhere. Our Sam was always getting into fights, but he usually
started them. Sounds like Kitty knew how to fight because at some point she
had to. Boyfie is just a gentleman for better or for worse.

Could the ENEMY be coming over to help out with the rat population?
Wondering if it might be time to bring the rat terriers back in for a
session. The noise alone might keep the ENEMY home where he belongs.

Jo

Old November 1st 07, 03:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Christina Websell wrote:

TED asked me "Is he a fighter?" He is far from it. He's a pacifist or a
"big girl's blouse" however you want to put it. I prefer the former
description.
It was that horrible black cat, I tell you, attacking him in his own garden,
no doubt, like it used to do before. He would never cause trouble himself,
I know it.

Poor gentle Boyfie. We're purring for his wound to heal quickly.

Old November 1st 07, 04:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christina Websell wrote:

It's a problem, isn't it, if there are bully cats in the neighbourhood?
(this one lives only two houses away) It used to even come into my house to
bully poor Boyfie until KFC lost her temper about it and really smashed him
up one day and it kept away until now.
You should have seen her do it! She chased that cat - more than twice her
size and in it's prime age-wise, she was around 19 - up the walls in my
kitchen, it fled outside with her after it and she sprang on to its back and
gave it a really good hiding. She beat it up in a serious way,

She was one impressive kitty. And, if pushed too far, she might surprise
you yet.

Licky says, "That's my warriorgrrl! She protects me!"

Seriously, I hope you find a good solution. Boyfie certainly doesn't
deserve this!

Joyce (wish I had a suggestion)
Old November 1st 07, 04:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

On 2007-10-31 18:27:32 -0500, "Christina Websell"
said:

[...]

Do you guys have Pill Pockets there? Man, if cats like them, they make
pilling way easier. Pearl thinks its a treat. I'm so sorry to hear
Boyfie got hurt though. Purrs for a quick recovery.

Old November 1st 07, 05:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 23:27:32 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

I'm glad that Boyfie is on the mend. It does sound like a bad injury;
painful, at the very least.

Purrs on the way for Boyfie to make a fast, uncomplicated(!) recovery.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

- Robert Heinlein

Life is very difficult. Once you understand that, life becomes easier.
-Buddha

Old November 1st 07, 09:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Exocat[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote

Boyfie He's been bitten through the shoulder joint by another cat. I
suspect that black one we call THE ENEMY

Purrs for a swift recovery. Good TED you've got which is encouraging.

My Kensey used to fight other hunterkiller cats who had overlapping
territory on a regular basis: a quarterly TED visit for repairs was the
norm.
Unfortunately I have no recipe for avoidance of this, short of the naughty
catnapping and dumping fifty-plus miles away of the offender - and I know
you wouldn't countenance that.

Gordon & the FF

Old November 1st 07, 09:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley via CatKB.com

Purrs for Boyfie

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

PS Thanks for putting "he's okay" on the header- at the moment I am coming to
this ng with a good deal of trepidation

Boyfie and my older brother Christina Websell Cat anecdotes 26 November 3rd 07 10:00 PM
I'm hurt Pat Cat anecdotes 54 May 17th 07 01:47 AM
Boyfie got bashed Christina Websell Cat anecdotes 21 January 21st 07 01:16 AM
Boyfie would like to announce Christina Websell Cat anecdotes 10 October 12th 06 09:35 PM
PING Tweed: Boyfie and the rat hunt Helen Miles Cat anecdotes 5 January 25th 06 07:59 PM