[OT] Need Medical Translation

Old December 7th 07, 02:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Default Need Medical Translation

"jmcquown" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
"Annie W" wrote in message
On Dec 6, 6:20 pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
I *SO* miss Howard Berkowitz right now! ; I'm hoping there is
maybe someone else in the group that could help me translate the
"findings" of my
MRI.

I recently had the MRI done to see if we could pinpoint the injury
to my neck that I did 18 month ago. This is the "findings" and I
have *NO* idea what they mean (and can't get in to see the doctor
for him to interpret for
quite some time).

Examination of the C3-C4 level shows significant compromise of the
right neural foramen due to hypertrophic bone arising from the
uncinate process and also from the posterior elements. This
constitutes significant right side foraminal stenosis at V3-C4.

All this sounds quite scary and I would appreciate any help you
could give
me in translating the above to English! ;

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

I can't give you a literal translation, but going back to when Jim
had stenosis, it meant that the place where the nerve passes through
has narrowed. His was in his lower back. Yours is in your neck. If
you google the key terms, you will learn more and find out that it
might be able to be cured with minimally invasive surgery and who in
Houston might be able to do it. Physical therapy will not take care
of it.

Good luck.

Annie

Thanks Annie. I'm glad to know it is "fixable" - now if I can just
get them to schedule the procedure before Jan 1 when my deductible
goes back to $1500!

You'd better schedule it QUICK, Lori. Doctors tend to take vacations
around
the holidays.

Jill

Yah, I know. I have an appointment with an ortho guy for Monday - they're
the same practice that did my shoulder bone reconstruction, so I know
they're good. I'm just very, very nervous about somebody using a bone
cutting saw that close to the nerves in my spine!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 7th 07, 02:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Default [OT] Need Medical Translation

"jofirey" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

I'm no doctor, but neural = nerve foramen= opening or space hypertrophic
= too much process=bump and I'm pretty sure stenosus = blockage or
narrowing.

So my guess would be that a nerve in you neck is being squished by a
narrowing of the space it passes through in your neck/spine

That would probably explain the pain. And bone changes don't usually
happen fast so time likely isn't critical.

Jo

What worries me is that I hurt it at the same time I went flying through the
air and broke my wrist, and it's been getting worse ever since. I have a
friend who's a nurse (just can't get in touch with her right now) who says
that constant scraping or pressure on a nerve can cause irreversible nerve
damage. And as I said to Jill, I'm really worried about somebody using a
bone saw that close to a spinal nerve.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 7th 07, 02:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_2_]

On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 20:51:51 -0600, CatNipped wrote:

How did you get rid of the pain? Mine is almost unbearable. I'm hoping
they can fix it *fast* because my quality of life right no is less than
zero.

Hugs,

CatNipped

NSAIDs helped. Making sure to trun over in the bed every sleep cycle
helps. The right kind of bed and pillow help. Interestingly, it got much
better when I went on meds for high blood pressure and diabetes. I just
live with the lower pain level, and when it gets too bad, I take a couple
of Vicodin and go to bed (not that Vicodin helps all that much).

--
T.E.D. )

Old December 7th 07, 03:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Ted Davis" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 20:51:51 -0600, CatNipped wrote:

How did you get rid of the pain? Mine is almost unbearable. I'm hoping
they can fix it *fast* because my quality of life right no is less than
zero.

Hugs,

CatNipped

NSAIDs helped. Making sure to trun over in the bed every sleep cycle
helps. The right kind of bed and pillow help. Interestingly, it got much
better when I went on meds for high blood pressure and diabetes. I just
live with the lower pain level, and when it gets too bad, I take a couple
of Vicodin and go to bed (not that Vicodin helps all that much).

I can't take Vicodin or Darvocet - and I can't take too many asperin or
NSAIDs, it causes acid reflux and stomach ulceration that is more painful
than the pain I'm trying to kill with the pain killers.

If I take *TONS* of Zantac/Nexium, I can take Tramadol (Ultram), but right
now I can take THREE Tramadols PLUS TWO Advils and it still doesn't touch
the pain. The pain is non-stop, unrelenting 24/7 and has been for 18
months!

I'm really, really hoping they can fix this! As nervous as I am about
anyone using a bone saw next to my spinal nerves, I would *still* risk
paralysis in order to get rid of this pain! :

Hugs,

CatNipped

--
T.E.D. )

Old December 7th 07, 04:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

[pain from nerves being squeezed by neckbones]
I'm really, really hoping they can fix this! As nervous as I am
about anyone using a bone saw next to my spinal nerves, I would
*still* risk paralysis in order to get rid of this pain! :

The situation may be getting worsened by local swelling. Some
things that might help with that: low-salt diet, diuretics
(dandelion is effective, cheap and non-prescription) and dealing
with food intolerances that might cause bloating (wheat allergy
often does that, and if it's implicated, total exclusion of
wheat in any form will get quick results).

Won't cure it but might help a bit.

Old December 7th 07, 04:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
[pain from nerves being squeezed by neckbones]
I'm really, really hoping they can fix this! As nervous as I am
about anyone using a bone saw next to my spinal nerves, I would
*still* risk paralysis in order to get rid of this pain! :

The situation may be getting worsened by local swelling. Some
things that might help with that: low-salt diet, diuretics
(dandelion is effective, cheap and non-prescription) and dealing
with food intolerances that might cause bloating (wheat allergy
often does that, and if it's implicated, total exclusion of
wheat in any form will get quick results).

Won't cure it but might help a bit.

Well, on the philosophy that if it won't hurt and might help, then I'll give
it a try! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

============== j-c ====== @ ====== purr . demon . co . uk
==============
Jack Campin: 11 Third St, Newtongrange EH22 4PU, Scotland | tel 0131 660
4760
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/ for CD-ROMs and free | fax 0870 0554
975
stuff: Scottish music, food intolerance, & Mac logic fonts | mob 07800 739
557

Old December 7th 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"jofirey" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Well, all nerves are spinal nerves. This doesn't sound like a nerve root.

And I suspect they have means of reducing the bone overgrowth short of
sawing.

My former employer had surgery on his neck for something very similar about
fifteen years ago. It was still pretty scary surgery then, but he had
reached his limit. It was totally successful. I figure with fifteen more
years of research and technique improvement you should be good to go.

Purrs for the best surgeon out there as well as calm and peaceful treatment.

Jo

Old December 7th 07, 08:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Ted Davis wrote:

On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 18:20:00 -0600, CatNipped wrote:

I *SO* miss Howard Berkowitz right now! ; I'm hoping there is maybe
someone else in the group that could help me translate the "findings" of
my MRI.

I recently had the MRI done to see if we could pinpoint the injury to my
neck that I did 18 month ago. This is the "findings" and I have *NO* idea
what they mean (and can't get in to see the doctor for him to interpret
for quite some time).

Examination of the C3-C4 level shows significant compromise of the right
neural foramen due to hypertrophic bone arising from the uncinate process
and also from the posterior elements. This constitutes significant right
side foraminal stenosis at V3-C4.

All this sounds quite scary and I would appreciate any help you could give
me in translating the above to English! ;

It all means your neck hurts, and possibly also your right arm and
shoulder, or face. I had a not dissimilar diagnosis (except no MRI, adn
C4-C5) a while back - the orthopedic surgeon assured me I would have to
have my neck fused within two years. That was almost thirty-five years ago
and I still haven't had it done.

I'm a great believer in trying all the less invasive methods
of therapy before resorting to surgery! Sometimes
chiropractic adjustments can help alleviate the pain, even
if they can't cure the condition. Too bad I can't send you
to my California chiropractor - I KNOW he is ethical, and
doesn't claim he can treat conditions he cannot. (I was
there when he advised an ex ballet-dancer with back problems
that he needed to consult an orthpaedic surgeon - that did a
lot to give me confidence in his diagnoses.)
Old December 7th 07, 08:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

CatNipped wrote:

"Ted Davis" wrote in message
news
[...]

Don't bet on surgery to get rid of the pain! (I've known a
great many people who were convinced that surgery was the
answer, only to find that, whether or not the surgical
procedure corrected the injury, it did little to prevent
continuing pain.)
Old December 7th 07, 08:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

The situation may be getting worsened by local swelling. Some
things that might help with that: low-salt diet, diuretics
(dandelion is effective, cheap and non-prescription) and dealing
with food intolerances that might cause bloating (wheat allergy
often does that, and if it's implicated, total exclusion of
wheat in any form will get quick results).

That probably explains why Ted's blood pressure and diabetes
medications helped his problem - both conditions can cause
swelling and water retention.

Food translation? Yowie Cat anecdotes 125 October 29th 07 06:10 PM
Translation Yowie Cat anecdotes 16 December 1st 05 05:05 AM
Cat Translation Dictionary Richard Miller Cat anecdotes 0 May 12th 05 06:38 PM
Translation - cat to hoomin Shirley Cat anecdotes 2 February 20th 05 08:58 PM
Food translation Yowie Cat anecdotes 0 November 22nd 04 06:26 AM