Totally Off Topic re Freecycle

Old June 17th 09, 06:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

Default Curbcyle (WAS: Totally Off Topic re Freecycle)

On Jun 17, 9:00*am, Kajikit wrote:
On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 06:32:16 -0700 (PDT), "Smokie Darling (Annie)"

wrote:
On Jun 17, 6:21*am, "jmcquown" wrote:
"Smokie Darling (Annie)" wrote in ...

So, I participate in Freecycle in my area. *Mostly, it's been a waste
of time and space, but... *Recently, our "Admin" decided to send out
the following message:

//quote//
Please note that the comments that are becoming common place in WANTED
postings are not needed or required.

They will NO longer be allowed. Please only state what you are
WANTING. If you must add something so that our members know exactly
what it is you are WANTING that is fine. But the comments such as, "if
you have one you are not using", "I could really use", "if you have
one that you no longer want", or "if you have one sitting around" type
comments will no longer be allowed.

As I already stated, I think the moderator of this group is over the top
with control issues. *I do have a question, however. *Is it possible where
you live to simply put items out by the curb and do what I call
"curbcycling"? *When I was moving from Memphis I put a lot of things out by
the curb and people just came and took them. *Didn't seem to matter what it
was, someone would take it.

A funny thing: I'd set out an inexpensive grill I'd bought along with a bag
of lump (wood coal) and a small drink cooler. *This guy and his girlfriend
drove up and said "Hey! Are you giving that away?" *Yep, take it. *He
scooped up the grill and the coal and I said, "Don't you want the cooler,
too? *After all, if you're going to have a BBQ you'll need some beverages!"
He grinned and said, "You're right!" *I got rid of a lot of stuff that way
without ever having to list anything on Freecycle. *Didn't have to deal with
moderators, either. *People just took stuff. *I was amazed. *One neighbor
I'd never met even went dumpster diving (I rented a dumpster). *As the
saying goes, one man's junk is another man's treasure

Jill

No, that's not legal.

I used to give my mother-in-law my unwanted stuff, and she'd yard sale
it (it was given specifically for that purpose), but that's hard work
for her. *I have donated to Salvation Army and a few other places. *I
just thought Freecycle would work nicely for things that SA doesnt'
use and MiL can't handle some of the items (they are too big).

Not legal? You can set anything you like out in your yard with a sign
saying 'FREE: please take me' and I don't see how they can stop you if
it's on your own property! There's a difference between putting
something out for people to take, and piling unusable trash on the
kerb and most places I'm pretty sure they can tell the difference.

You're not supposed to leave stuff out by our dumpster unless it's
bulk trash time, but if people have something usable that they don't
want any more they put it out there and 90% of the time it's gone
inside 24 hours. I've got quite a bit of good stuff for the apartment
that way!

There is an ordinance that "junk" (and it specifically states that a
'free' sign makes it junk!) may not be left in yards. Of course, we
also still have ordinances that state you may not tie your horse up on
a "hard top" road smile, you may not dump your horse manure in your
neighbors manure pile (I kid you not, though I dont' think they
actually said manure as opposed to waste).

It's a small town, which is nice, since it looks almost "fairy
tale"esque. They have very odd rules, but I understand them. We
don't have a "curb" per se, it's more a wide spot, no sidewalk.

I'll just find a way to bring those things over to MiL's for a yard,
then haul them off if she can't sell them (a washing machine and dryer
being the two biggest - and SA has already turned them down because
they are "old", but they run very well).
Old June 17th 09, 06:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

Kajikit wrote:

Not legal? You can set anything you like out in your yard with a sign
saying 'FREE: please take me' and I don't see how they can stop you if
it's on your own property! There's a difference between putting
something out for people to take, and piling unusable trash on the
kerb and most places I'm pretty sure they can tell the difference.

You're not supposed to leave stuff out by our dumpster unless it's
bulk trash time, but if people have something usable that they don't
want any more they put it out there and 90% of the time it's gone
inside 24 hours. I've got quite a bit of good stuff for the apartment
that way!

It sounds like the sort of thing that may or may not be legal depending
on local laws. My city has rules about when you can and cannot put out
garbage, but I don't think there's any rule preventing others from
taking objects placed out for pickup. Once I've discarded it, someone
else can take it without being charged with theft. And the city doesn't
seem to enforce their 'nothing except on Garbage Day' rules for objects
with 'please take me I'm free' signs, because I see them fairly often,
and no one complains.

Friends of mine hauled a piano out for bulk pickup after they found it
would cost too much to restore. Some stranger asked if they minded if he
took it; they said no, but they couldn't help move it, and the passer-by
got some friends together and took it.

Now, taking pots of plants from someone's front steps; *that's* illegal,
and pretty slimy behaviour, too, but it's obvious that landscaping isn't
something that is being discarded.

Cheryl
Old June 17th 09, 07:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobble[_6_]

"jmcquown" wrote in
:

"Smokie Darling (Annie)" wrote in message

@w9g2000pro.googlegroups.com..
.
[...]

In Ottawa we have a weekend in the spring and one in the fall designated
Giveaway Weekend. Just put your stuff at the curb with a free sign.
Usually everything disappears on the first day.

Bobble
Old June 17th 09, 07:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

That often works well, but you never know if things will be taken. Also,
there's a chance there might be a city ordinance against that sort of thing.

I've had a couple of experiences similar to yours, though. One was rather
funny. After cleaning out my garage, and sorting out what I could give to
the Rescue Mission, I had a lot of what I considered trash. I had to call
and make special arrangements with my trash company to have it picked up. I
put everything out on the day they were to come. About half an hour later,
a couple in a pickup stopped and started going through it. They didn't take
everything, but they too, quite a bit of it.

Many years ago, we got a new water heater. We didn't know what to do with
the old one. I think the trash company wanted something like $50 to pick it
up. We didn't have the money right then, so we just put it out in the front
yard. As a joke, we taped on a piece of paper that said "for sale". The
next morning it was gone.

Joy

Old June 17th 09, 08:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Joy wrote:

Many years ago, we got a new water heater. We didn't know what to do with
the old one. I think the trash company wanted something like $50 to pick it
up. We didn't have the money right then, so we just put it out in the front
yard. As a joke, we taped on a piece of paper that said "for sale". The
next morning it was gone.

The same thing happened to friends of mine!! It was even a hot water
heater. They put it out front with a "Free" sign on it, and nobody took
it. Later, they changed the sign to say "For sale: $50", and then it was
gone within a day or so. Doesn't say much for people, does it?

--
Joyce ^..^

Old June 19th 09, 01:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I suppose it depends on the city/town/village/where you live. There was no
law against it in TN. And I wasn't piling out unusable trash; I had trash
cans and a rented dumpster for that. People made off with my covered patio
swing, which I decided not to bring with me as the cover was shot (could be
replaced but the swing was 10 years old and I'm ready for a change). I
already mentioned the inexpensive grill. I set out some coffee mugs, vases,
a shelf I'd used in my bathroom. I set out some lamps that needed rewiring.
Nothing that couldn't actually be used by someone should they put their
minds to it. Nothing was out there longer than a few hours. If they chose
to take it to resell at a garage sale, so be it. It was out of my hair

Where I live now I can't set stuff by the curb. It's against the
"association" rules. I understand that, it's a gated community. It's not
like the public can drive by and see what's been set out. But curbcycle
sure worked for me when I was vacating that suburb of Memphis, TN. And Good
Riddance!

Jill

Old June 20th 09, 05:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_3_]

On Jun 17, 5:21*am, "jmcquown" wrote:
*As the
saying goes, one man's junk is another man's treasure

A few years ago, I found a young man going through the rubbish bags.
He explained that he'd lost his job, was having trouble getting
another one, was worried about paying the mortgage (the dole only pay
the interest) so he could keep a roof over his wife and kids heads.
Then he remembered there was a place a short drive away that brought
aluminium cans by the sackload for recycling...well he had his little
van and time on his hands so he was hunting through people's rubbish
and getting the cans to resell. It was a long hard job but he was
just about making enough to meet his mortgage after paying for
petrol...on a good week maybe even a few pounds more .. I said we
drink rather a lot of beer, I'll put the cans in a seperate bag for
you. I used to see him from time to time, he did it for about 3-4
months before he got another job.

Last winter the people downstairs threw out a broken bed and I was a
bit concerned to see mid afternoon one of the local "gentleman of the
road" had obviously after a few too many cans of strong lager or more
likely white cider (I drank a glass of that stuff once and since then
cider gives me horrendous acid indigestion!) been staggering down the
road and thought "A bed!" and was stretched out on it having a good
sleep. I was concerned because it got rather cold at night but after
a few hours presumably refreshed he got up and went on his way

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old June 28th 09, 05:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

Default Totally Off Topic re Freecycle

"Chris H" wrote in message
Seems a shame that they're completely overlooking the
"community" side of Freecycle. Luckily, our moderators
aren't that overbearing. I'd rather have someone give a
short explanation of why they need something rather than
the "I want it" posts.

While it's true that Freecycle is supposed to exist to
keep items out of landfills, somewhere in the charter
it *does* mention supporting a sense of community (or at least
it did when I signed up). Depersonalizing the posts to that
degree seems (IMHO) to go against that concept.

There have been many times when I've seen a "decent" wanted
post, realized I had that item, and passed it along because
obviously that person could use it more than I could. People
that just post "I want this" messages could just be looking
for stuff to re-sell. At least if they give you a story they've
had to put some thought in to it, and might *really* need the item
in question.

Our freebies group is fairly generous in its posting style. One of the most
often made comments is "NO RESELLERS." However, lately, some twit has been
posting spam to the group. I closed her down by encouraging everyone to
send her the spam they've received whenever she posts spam of her own.
Today I noticed that s/he is back with a different address. So I sent her a
warning and if I see his/her address sending spam again, I'm sending her/him
all the spam I have saved in my suspect email folder. Worse I'm going to
encourage the group to do the same.

Pam S

[Fwd: OT - freecycle item] Magic Mood Jeep © Cat anecdotes 5 April 14th 08 02:50 AM
Truck woes (Long and Totally Off Topic) Steve Touchstone Cat anecdotes 23 August 21st 06 09:59 PM
Makeup / now Freecycle complaints [email protected] Cat anecdotes 0 May 8th 06 07:21 AM
Almost on topic Adrian A Cat anecdotes 6 May 4th 06 08:50 PM
Hopefully on topic Lots42 Cat anecdotes 9 May 12th 05 10:48 PM