wobble belly?

Old April 28th 04, 08:11 AM
Ellie Pea

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 22:18:56 -0700, "Leigh Bain"
wrote:

"Orchid" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 20:20:45 -0700, "Leigh Bain"
wrote:

My husband told me that switching them from dry to canned isn't good for
their digestive system. Once they are on dry food it's best to keep them

on
dry food.

Your husband is wrong.
Dry food in and of itself is not good for their digestive
system, as cats are designed to get the water they need to live from
their prey.

Actually I mis-spoke. My apologies when I wrote that what I was trying to
say was switching them back and forth from dry food to canned food wasn't
good for their digestive system. That's what I was told. Am I wrong? If
not please let me know because my cats do enjoy certain canned foods and I
wouldn't mind giving it to them as a treat once and a while.

Why not give them a mix? That's what I give my cat and I know lots of
other cat owners who do the same. She loves the wet food but being
able to feed her both means I can use an auto feeder if I know I'm not
going to be home at my regular time - result - happy cat and a less
guitly human! )
Old April 28th 04, 09:05 PM
Orchid

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 22:18:56 -0700, "Leigh Bain"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

My husband told me that switching them from dry to canned isn't good for
their digestive system. Once they are on dry food it's best to keep them

on
dry food.

Your husband is wrong.
Dry food in and of itself is not good for their digestive
system, as cats are designed to get the water they need to live from
their prey.

Actually I mis-spoke. My apologies when I wrote that what I was trying to
say was switching them back and forth from dry food to canned food wasn't
good for their digestive system. That's what I was told. Am I wrong? If
not please let me know because my cats do enjoy certain canned foods and I
wouldn't mind giving it to them as a treat once and a while.

That is indeed incorrect -- most cat owners feed a mixture of
dry and canned foods and there are no ill effects. However, I would
recommend giving it more often than just as a treat -- why not give it
every day?

Orchid
See Orchid's Kitties! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/bengalpage
Want a Purebred Cat? Read This! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/orchid

Old April 29th 04, 06:03 PM
Mary

"Laura R." wrote in message
.. .
circa Mon, 26 Apr 2004 20:20:45 -0700, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
Leigh Bain ) said,
My husband told me that switching them from dry to canned isn't good for
their digestive system. Once they are on dry food it's best to keep them

on
dry food.

Your husband may want to do some research. The above isn't true.

It certainly isn't, in my experience. My fat cat is losing
weight now that I am feeding her mostly canned, and my
skinny girl is beefing up with muscle, she looks better than
ever, bright eyes, minky feeling coat. It's amazing. They both get dry if
they want it, but both tend to cut back on dry because they love the canned
food. No digestion problems, gassiness, etc.

Old April 29th 04, 06:07 PM
Mary

"[ medic ]" wrote in message
ink.net...
So what canned food do I feed to a cat who turns his nose up at anything

that comes in a can, including tuna?

The quality is not supposed to be good--but the only kind my girls love is
Fancy Feast Chopped Grill Feast. It is the only one they eat all of and lick
the saucer clean. But I imagine all cats are different. I think what they
like is that it is ground and so easy to eat, and it has this strong roast
beefy smell. If I had it to do over again, I would have tried all the
premium ones first. It's going to be hard to get them off of it.

Old April 29th 04, 06:08 PM
Mary

"kaeli" wrote in message The stuff that
comes in a pouch?

I tried that once. It had gravy and chunks, and all my girls would do was
lick the gravy off the chunks and leave the chunks. Little heathens.