Must Discuss the Kitties' Welfair

Old June 25th 11, 11:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.rescue
Bill Graham

Default Must Discuss the Kitties' Welfair

nik Simpson wrote:
There's a dangerous assumption here, i.e. that choosing a relatively
simple password that is highly personal to you, is safe because nobody
would guess it unless they knew you and your personal information.
Folks, that's not how hackers break passwords, they don't go your
login and try to guess your password. They hack the website
completely (a-la Sony) grab the master password file & username list,
and feed that data to one or more computers to simply brute force
decrypt the password file, they don't need to know anything about you
at all.
I've decided to use Lastpass and different long completely random
passwords for each website that I couldn't begin to remember. The only
password I have to remember is my Lastpass password, they handle the
rest. Granted, this relies on two things:

1. Nobody can guess my Lastpass password
2. Lastpass's security and encryption is good enough to prevent the
master password data falling into the wrong hands and being decrytped
in a useful amount of time.

So far it's working, but if you bank online or use credit cards
online, the watchword is vigilance ;-)

BTW, are you wondering if one of the recent hacks (Sony, Citicard,
etc) has compromised your password or email address? If not, you
probably should be, so check out this tool:

https://shouldichangemypassword.com/

It's legit and simply searches the data that has been leaked from
sites like Sony to see if your email address is in leaked data.

But how can you be sure some Lastpass employee doesn't sell a bunch of
passwords to someone else for progit? In the same way, I won't know if some
crooked store employee or waiter doesn't swell my credit card information to
someone else. In a word, its impossible to completely protect yourself from
criminals.

Old June 26th 11, 07:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.rescue
[email protected]

wrote:

This is why I send myself an email and save it in a special location.
And the email contains the username and a hint. No actual password.
And I know what the hint means. I have made up numbers that go with
certain things, so I know what the combination is, how many digits as
they vary, and what order and what punctuation.

I never write down my passwords, but I do know where to find my hints
as I have various passwords at a ton of websites. I would never be
able to remember which password goes with which website without my set
of hints. I can't even remember my usernames sometimes, and I only use
a few of those. I was just at my employer's website to review a
paycheck stub. It took me 15 minutes to remember that my username for
that account is my checker number, not a word.

Do you keep all the hints + websites (or other places where you use
passwords) in one file? And then if you have to log on to a site, you
look in that file to see the hint for that site? It sounds like a good
idea.

Joyce

--
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going
somewhere. -- Groucho Marx
Old June 26th 11, 04:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Jun 25, 12:38 pm, "Matthew"
wrote:
"hopitus" wrote in message

On Jun 25, 9:15 am, nik Simpson wrote:

[...]

You are a reg here & that is the only reason I bother to once again
point out that this thread
was started by trolls and continued by both other trolls and the
drones here. You probably
did not notice that multiple crosspostings are in the header and you
crossposted this post
just like the trolls want you to. Check out the posted dates at the
very beginning of this thread.
Its a big joke to them. They dragged over here an old thread from rpcc
from a year ago.

It is not being helped by the poster Bill who is a total moron; who has
given out bad and dangerous advice on cats before in other groups.

I know, Matt, but there is one reason I have respect for Bill....and
only one, which
does nnot apply to the UK trolls participating: Bill, from what I can
archive, is a USA
military veteran I do not believe it was *his* notion to drag the old
rpcc thread here.

Sorry on this one no respect for him at all. He knows better but he is the
type that has to respond no matter what post it is. I should have him on
kill fill but due to his bad advice and dangerous advice before in other cat
groups. I watch him like a hawk. He is just a plain moron. He is such a
moron sometimes He responded to a spammer in another group that posted a
900 number lecturing the group on 900 numbers.

Old June 30th 11, 08:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.rescue
[email protected]

On Jun 25, 11:45*pm, wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Yes, I send myself an email for each hint, so I can go back and look
for the email for amazon.com or my isp provider, etc. Then open it and
see my username and hint. I have a separate folder for these emails,
so I know where they all are. And if somebody found it, they would
have my usernames, but they wouldn't know what the hints mean. How
would they know what "old goal" means? Not even my family has a clue
what my goal was or what number I associate with it. I also have a new
goal hint, and a variety of others.

Old July 2nd 11, 12:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.rescue
jmc[_2_]

Suddenly, without warning, exclaimed
(6/30/2011 3:48 AM):
On Jun 25, 11:45 pm, wrote:
m wrote:

[...]

There are apps that will do this kind of thing for you. I use Password
Safe, which is free and pretty easy to use.

jmc
Old July 2nd 11, 01:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.rescue
Joy

--
Joy

Wouldn't it be nice if whenever we messed up our life we could simply press
'Ctrl Alt Delete' and start all over?

On Jun 25, 11:45 pm, wrote:
m wrote:

[...]

I prefer making up my own passwords, which are easier for me to remember. I
use a similar method, of listing a hint, both to the user name and the
password, in a special file.

Joy

Old July 3rd 11, 12:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.rescue
Bill Graham

Joy wrote:

Wouldn't it be nice if whenever we messed up our life we could simply press
'Ctrl Alt Delete' and start all over?

Yes. I would go back a month and keep B-K from drinking that poisoned water
that killed him. But,

"The moving finger writes, and having writ
Moves on, nor all your piety nor wit,
Shall lure it back to cancel half a line,
Nor all your tears wash out a word of it."

-- Edward Fitsgerald

Must Discuss the Kitties' Welfair Shylock Cat health & behaviour 43 July 3rd 11 12:59 AM
Discuss Nutralime harry Cat community 0 February 22nd 10 03:41 PM
lets discuss shelters Stormmee Cat anecdotes 8 March 8th 09 09:11 PM
For Those Who Want To Peacefully Discuss Cats Cat Protector Cat health & behaviour 58 March 1st 04 12:38 AM