Eulogy for Dog named Cat of the Year

Old November 12th 05, 06:37 PM
Howard C. Berkowitz

Default Eulogy for Dog named Cat of the Year

From the Boston Globe.

There will be an honor guard welcoming her at the Bridge.

By Jim Fitzgerald, Associated Press Writer *|* November 10, 2005

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y.*--This will probably be the first time a dog's
memorial service is attended by 300 cats. A schnauzer-Siberian husky
mix named Ginny will be eulogized Nov. 19 at the Westchester Cat Show,
where she was named Cat of the Year in 1998 for her uncanny skill and
bravery in finding and rescuing endangered tabbies.

"It'll be right during the show, with the judging going on and all the
cats out there on the floor," said Leslie Masson, a spokeswoman for the
Westchester Feline Club, which sponsors the show. "We'll call for
quiet, and then a few people will get up on stage and talk about Ginny.
Her owner will be there and talk, if he's able to, and some people from
her fan club."
Ginny died in August at age 17, after a long career as a one-dog rescue
party for cats on Long Island's South Shore. The club says she saved
hundreds of cats who were abandoned, injured or in harm's way.
Her owner, Philip Gonzalez of Long Beach, has written two books about
Ginny and the cats she found, several of whom moved in with him. Among
the best-known rescues is the time Ginny threw herself against a
vertical pipe at a construction site to topple it and reveal the
kittens trapped inside. She once ignored the cuts on her paws as she
dug through a box full of broken glass to find an injured cat inside.
Gonzalez, 55, said Thursday that over the years he has tried to train
other dogs to do what Ginny did, but "They just didn't have it."
"I didn't train her," he said. "Ginny was just magical in a way. I
adopted her from a shelter, and they said she's never been with cats
before. But she just had this knack of knowing when a cat was in
trouble."
As he used to do with Ginny, Gonzalez still goes out every night to
feed stray cats in the area, with the help of the Ginny Fund, which
pays for food, medical care and spaying or neutering.
The cats seem to miss Ginny too, he said.
"They want nothing to do with my other dogs," he said. "They used to
come up to Ginny and rub against her, even if I was putting food out."
The memorial service will be followed by this year's Cat of the Year
award, which is going to an actual cat -- Zoe, an 8-year-old ragdoll
from Larchmont who saved her owner from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Other cats of the year have included a cat with a cleft palate who
taught herself to hold her feeding tube and a cat who campaigns against
rules that prohibit pets in senior housing.
Besides the memorial service, the Cat of the Year award and the
best-of-breed judging, the show features a household pet competition,
an agility contest for cats and a book signing by Allia Zobel, author
of "101 Reasons Why a Cat is Better Than a Man."
In addition, about 80 cats from shelters will be up for adoption.
------
On the Net:
Westchester Feline Club: http://www.westchester-feline.org
Ginny Fan Club, http://www.ginnyfanclub.com
Old November 12th 05, 08:44 PM
Pat

Ginny Fan Club, http://www.ginnyfanclub.com

The photo albums are not to be missed!

Old November 13th 05, 12:07 AM
Karen

On 2005-11-12 13:44:34 -0600, "Pat" said:

Ginny Fan Club, http://www.ginnyfanclub.com

The photo albums are not to be missed!

She was remarkable. A true angel.

Old November 13th 05, 11:44 AM
polonca12000

What an amazing doggie!
Lots of purrs,
Polonca and Soncek

Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:
From the Boston Globe.

There will be an honor guard welcoming her at the Bridge.

By Jim Fitzgerald, Associated Press Writer | November 10, 2005

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. --This will probably be the first time a dog's
memorial service is attended by 300 cats. A schnauzer-Siberian husky
mix named Ginny will be eulogized Nov. 19 at the Westchester Cat Show,
where she was named Cat of the Year in 1998 for her uncanny skill and
bravery in finding and rescuing endangered tabbies.

snip

Old November 13th 05, 02:35 PM
JBHajos

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 12:37:42 -0500, "Howard C. Berkowitz"
wrote:

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y.*--This will probably be the first time a dog's
memorial service is attended by 300 cats.

That's a wonderful tribute to a wonderful dog. I'm so pleased they
did this for Ginny - thank you for posting it. I had read the
Gonzalez books about her several years ago. She was, indeed, a
remarkable, magical lady and, while I'm sorry to hear she has passed
away, I'm glad she had a long and happy life.

Jeanne