Killing Fleas with New Baby in House

Old September 14th 07, 08:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Killing Fleas with New Baby in House

We have a ten-week old baby in the house and I just discovered another
new addition -- fleas! (No, not from the baby, from our two cats.)
So my question is, what's the safest way to rid our house of fleas
without risking poisoning the baby? Reading this and other usenet
groups, some folks say to use Frontline or Advantage, but will that
have any effect on the fleas in my carpets?

Thanks.

Old September 15th 07, 12:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh >o

On 14 Sep, 20:43, "Matthew" wrote:
yes use advantage or frontline on your cats. Plus groom them to get rid of
the current fleas

the fleas on the floor and every where else have your house treated while
it is going on go out for the day.
When you get home when it is safe. Vacuum everything twice and wash your
linens, laundry and any other washables . You can have your place steam
cleaned and that should remove everything. IMO The safest way with a new
child in the house. A professional has more access to the correct poisons
to use to keep you, your family and the four legs safer than doing it your
self.

Ps if your cats are inside outside cats your are going to have to have the
yard treated and keep up to date with that and advantage or frontline. For
once they go outside again you will get fleas again

If you are budget bound you can get the do it your self with flea bombs but
be ready to wipe down everything and wash all your dishes once you do it.
Plus the other cleaning mentioned above. But you will have to find away to
keep the furballs safe while you do this

Hope this helps

wrote in message

ups.com...

We have a ten-week old baby in the house and I just discovered another
new addition -- fleas! (No, not from the baby, from our two cats.)
So my question is, what's the safest way to rid our house of fleas
without risking poisoning the baby? Reading this and other usenet
groups, some folks say to use Frontline or Advantage, but will that
have any effect on the fleas in my carpets?

Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Just out of interest, how much does it cost to have the exterminators
in, for an average sized house with front & back yard Matthew? (ie:
3bedroomed house with small front & back yard / garden?)
Sheelagh *o*

Old September 15th 07, 07:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Paul M. Cook[_2_]

Use Advantage or Frontline on the cats. Use a spray that contains only
pyritherines. They are safe for humans. Your vet will have them. I use
the Vet-Cehm brand and it works great. No smell, no oily mess, just a dry
and odorless spray.

Paul

ups.com...

Old September 15th 07, 12:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh >o

On 15 Sep, 00:38, "Matthew" wrote:
"Sheelagh o" wrote in message

ups.com...

On 14 Sep, 20:43, "Matthew" wrote:
[...]

wrote in message

roups.com...

We have a ten-week old baby in the house and I just discovered another
new addition -- fleas! (No, not from the baby, from our two cats.)
So my question is, what's the safest way to rid our house of fleas
without risking poisoning the baby? Reading this and other usenet
groups, some folks say to use Frontline or Advantage, but will that
have any effect on the fleas in my carpets?

Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Just out of interest, how much does it cost to have the exterminators
in, for an average sized house with front & back yard Matthew? (ie:
3bedroomed house with small front & back yard / garden?)
Sheelagh *o*

depends on your area I have company which charges up front 300 at the
beginning of the contract than 79 a year which it does 3 times extra times
are 49.99 each- Hide quoted text -

Sounds very reasonable to me.
Thankyou
Sheelagh*o*

Old September 16th 07, 12:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Matthew" wrote in message

"Sheelagh o" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 14 Sep, 20:43, "Matthew" wrote:
[...]

wrote in message

ups.com...

We have a ten-week old baby in the house and I just discovered another
new addition -- fleas! (No, not from the baby, from our two cats.)
So my question is, what's the safest way to rid our house of fleas
without risking poisoning the baby? Reading this and other usenet
groups, some folks say to use Frontline or Advantage, but will that
have any effect on the fleas in my carpets?

Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Just out of interest, how much does it cost to have the exterminators
in, for an average sized house with front & back yard Matthew? (ie:
3bedroomed house with small front & back yard / garden?)
Sheelagh *o*

depends on your area I have company which charges up front 300 at the
beginning of the contract than 79 a year which it does 3 times extra
times are 49.99 each

Mine is similar. I don't remember what the original treatment cost because
that was several years ago, but he now exterminates 4 times a year (indoors
and outdoors). The cost is $78.00 each time, and he does not charge
anything it treatment is required in between the quarterly service calls.
He uses a form of pyrethrum indoors to protect the cats -- he uses a powder
form that he sprays carefully along cracks and spaces. He uses a stronger
insecticide in liquid form in the garage and on the exterior. The is East
Texas, where insects thrive, and it has been *well worth it* to have a
professional do this work.

MaryL

Old September 17th 07, 10:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
saxrocco via CatKB.com

Fleas - my cats have fleas. We have used frontline, but can I just confirm
something. Our cat Chester has got some fur missing on his head near his
ears...Does this mean he is allergic to flea bites??? A neighbour said this
as her cat gets the same problem.
I must get all the bedding washed at the weekend (pray for good weather) I
forget they get everywhere!!!
Bless little Chester he has scabs on him - darn fleas :-(

Hope we are all free from fleas soon.
Clare x

Matthew wrote:
[...]

[quoted text clipped - 4 lines]

Thanks.

Old September 18th 07, 01:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh >o

Matthew wrote:
[...]

BOnce upon a time you could get the council exterminators out, free of
charge to anyone who called if they had a cat flea problem. As with
all things, people abuse the service, & in the end, everyone end up
paying to make up for the freeloaders.
I don't know where you live Clare, but it might be worth asking them
to come out.
In my opinion, they are the best one people to get rid of a flea
problem because they guarantee the work.

These days, if you want the to come out to you, as long as you are
ready to receive them ( ie: you are all tidied up, & it is easy to get
under the beds, and move the 3 piece ect), then you will be fine,
because they charge by the hour. It's around £36 per hour, which
starts when they leave the depot to come to your place, so if you say
2-3 hours max, you can estimate the price. Mind you, as I said, if you
have a problem after that,. they will do a respray for free...
They do a brilliant job & it's worth every penny when you consider the
exchange.

That is how much my council charges, of course yours might be
different, but I would say that it is well worth checking them out.
The spray that Paul mentions, is good, but a bit pricey if you intend
to get the whole house done. You need to do every singe pace where the
cats go ( & don't go too, becasuse fleas jump amazing paces away!!),
right down to under the sofa!!

Good Luck Clare,
Sheelagh "o"

Diatomaceous Earth vs. Borate Powder for Killing Fleas Stacey Weinberger Cat health & behaviour 2 November 15th 06 10:12 AM
fleas David Spicer Cat health & behaviour 4 September 9th 05 12:31 AM
fleas graciedv Cat health & behaviour 11 June 19th 05 03:15 PM
new baby in the house Jenni G. Cat health & behaviour 0 February 24th 05 12:49 PM