"The Russian Blue" book, anyone?

Old January 2nd 04, 06:51 PM
Ivor Jones

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Jellicoe wrote:
I would rather not have an animal at all then keep it in conditions
that are more designed to meet my selfish needs than theirs. Whose
needs are more important, yours or theirs?

I see you live in New Zealand. Wonderful country, with very little
people and lots of room for cats to roam around safely. No predators
either. Sounds like a great place for cats!
Not all of us live in such places. Some of us live in large cities, with
lots of busy streets filled with cars. Guess who wins when a car meets a
cat on the road? Others live where there are coyotes and other predators
that would love to make a meal out of our loved cats.
If you ever travel to Texas, give me a call. I would love to show you my
home, with our 7 indoor-only cats. You can judge by yourself if they are
"bored", "sedentary" or in any way unhappy.

So do you think it fair on the cats to keep them indoors just because
*you* choose to live in a city..?

Ivor

Old January 2nd 04, 11:13 PM
Victor Martinez

Ivor Jones wrote:
So do you think it fair on the cats to keep them indoors just because
*you* choose to live in a city..?

In case you are interested, there are papers out there done by
veterinary behaviorists that have determined that indoor-only cats are
as happy as indoor-outdoor cats. My cats are my family, and I provide
for them the absolute best. Indoor cats live longer, healthier lives.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old January 3rd 04, 01:23 AM
Jellicoe

I see you live in New Zealand. Wonderful country, with very little
people and lots of room for cats to roam around safely. No predators
either. Sounds like a great place for cats!

Yes, we do have relatively few people in New Zealand, but most of
those that we do have are still concentrated in cities. There
certainly are places here where I would simply not have a cat because
of the risk of traffic. As I said before, under these circumstances
I'd rather not have a pet, or chose a pet better suited to being
trapped in a house all its life. Like mice or rats, and even rabbits
and guinea pigs can be kept indoors. Cats are too intelligent and too
inquisitive to keep penned up like that. I still honestly believe that
any cat would be happier with the option to go outside, and that no
cat in the world would opt to stay permanantly indoors if given the
choice. If you leave your back door open, do your cats chose not to go
out through it?

As said by Ivor: "So do you think it fair on the cats to keep them
indoors just because *you* choose to live in a city..?"

Just because you live in an environment not suited for an animal
doesn't give you the right to keep it under sub-optimal conditions.
Just because you want a pet, it doesn't mean that you should have it.

Old January 3rd 04, 03:51 AM
Victor Martinez

Jellicoe wrote:
inquisitive to keep penned up like that. I still honestly believe that
any cat would be happier with the option to go outside, and that no
cat in the world would opt to stay permanantly indoors if given the
choice. If you leave your back door open, do your cats chose not to go
out through it?

Xoxo, our oldest and former outdoors-only cat (we rescued him) has never
shown any desire to go outside. He's been out and he didn't like it one
bit. You see, it's much more comfortable inside.
I see you chose to ignore the part where I mentioned there's research
out there that proves that indoor-only cats are as happy as their
indoor-outdoor counterparts. Good for you. You keep repeating your truth
to yourself and avoid any facts that might contradict you.

Cheers.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old January 3rd 04, 02:39 PM
Orchid

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 03:51:10 GMT, Victor Martinez
wrote:

Jellicoe wrote:
inquisitive to keep penned up like that. I still honestly believe that
any cat would be happier with the option to go outside, and that no
cat in the world would opt to stay permanantly indoors if given the
choice. If you leave your back door open, do your cats chose not to go
out through it?

Sorry to piggyback, but my newsreader didn't get the OP.

I have two indoors-only cats that get to go outside on their
harnesses. While they love going outside, I can leave the door open
and they do not go out on their own. They sit at the threshold and
look out, but have no interest in leaving.

Orchid
See Orchid's Kitties! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/bengalpage
Want a Purebred Cat? Read This! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/orchid

Old January 3rd 04, 02:55 PM
~*Connie*~

Jellicoe,

If you could actually give the cat the facts.. ALL the facts, Im certain
there isn't a cat in the world that would go outside. Cats aren't
particularly fond of being chased by dogs, hit by cars, tortured by mean
moronic people, getting caught in the rain, getting lost, wandering into a
neighbors yard who just treated with pesticide or any of the other hundreds
of other evils out there in the world.

Sadly, too many cat owners aren't aware of their cats, and they do not
provide enough mental and physical stimulation to keep them happy. Cats do
NOT need to go outside to get the stimulation they need. My five have shown
absolutely NO interest in going outside... including my eldest who used to.