OT $5.37

Old September 4th 10, 09:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default OT $5.37

wrote:
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Matthew wrote:

$5.37!

That's what the kid behind the counter at Taco Bell said to me.

*Taco Bell*?? Matthew, that's stuff's going to kill you!

If it will make you feel any better, most businesses give senior
discounts to any customer 50 or older

Exactly where are all these businesses? I'm 55, which I think of as
a "junior senior", and I've only experienced one senior discount - my
health food store sells dietary supplements (vitamins, etc) at 10%
off to anyone 55 and over. Otherwise, nada. I pay full price at
restaurants, movies, department stores, grocery stores, and so on.

Well, yeah, full price for groceries and department stores, but
restaurants and movies are another matter. (However, you sometimes have
to ASK - they may not volunteer the information.)

Actually, I received my first invitation to join AARP literally the day
after I turned 50, and have been getting 3-4 of these a year ever since.
Are you a member, Evelyn? Is it worthwhile?

*I* think so - I've taken advantage of AARP discounts when traveling -
car-rental on several occasions, and some hotel chains advertise an AARP
discount. Membership is not very expensive, and there are a monthly
newspaper and a bi-monthly magazine that have some interesting articles,
and try to target current political situations that are of interest and
importance to seniors. (They also do lobbying for senior issues.)
Old September 4th 10, 09:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

jmcquown wrote:
"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com...

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in
message m...

Matthew wrote:
$5.37!

Sounds like Matthew was just having a bad day.

Jill

Good Lord I was not having a "bad day" ;-)

IT WAS A INTERNET JOKE FOLKS

shakes head

Sorry! maybe I'm the one having a bad day. LOL

Jill

You were not alone in thinking he was simply relating an amusing
experience of his own! (That's what comes of posting something
something in the first person, without any attributes to indicate you
are not the original source.)
Old September 4th 10, 10:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

m...

jmcquown wrote:
"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com...

"jmcquown" wrote in message
m...

Matthew wrote:
$5.37!

Sounds like Matthew was just having a bad day.

Jill

Good Lord I was not having a "bad day" ;-)

IT WAS A INTERNET JOKE FOLKS

shakes head

Sorry! maybe I'm the one having a bad day. LOL

Jill

You were not alone in thinking he was simply relating an amusing
experience of his own! (That's what comes of posting something
something in the first person, without any attributes to indicate you are
not the original source.)

Again shakes head

Old September 4th 10, 11:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Hamblen[_2_]

On Fri, 3 Sep 2010 16:59:11 -0400, "Matthew"

om...

Matthew wrote:
$5.37!

That's what the kid behind the counter at Taco Bell said to me. I dug
into my pocket and pulled out some lint and two dimes and something that
used to be a Jolly Rancher. Having already handed the kid a five-spot, I
started to head back out to the truck to grab some change when the kid
with the Elmo hairdo said the hardest thing anyone has ever said to me.
He said, "It's OK. I'll just give you the senior citizen discount."

I turned to see who he was talking to and then heard the sound of
change hitting the counter in front of me. "Only $4.68" he said
cheerfully.

I stood there stupefied. I am 56, not even 60 yet? A mere child! Senior
citizen?

If it will make you feel any better, most businesses give senior discounts
to any customer 50 or older (and you are eligible for AARP membership at
age 55).

LOL it was a joke Evelyn ;-)

I am not 50 yet

Once a girl at a Shoney's gave me an unasked-for senior discount when
I was not yet 50. I didn't think I looked THAT bad. These days I can
get the discount for real.

Bud

Old September 4th 10, 11:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

news:zKydnRmXRYiZ_RzRnZ2dnUVZ_jydnZ2d@earthlink. com...

Matthew wrote:
$5.37!

That's what the kid behind the counter at Taco Bell said to me. I dug
into my pocket and pulled out some lint and two dimes and something
that used to be a Jolly Rancher. Having already handed the kid a
five-spot, I started to head back out to the truck to grab some
change when the kid with the Elmo hairdo said the hardest thing
anyone has ever said to me. He said, "It's OK. I'll just give you the
senior citizen discount."

I turned to see who he was talking to and then heard the sound of
change hitting the counter in front of me. "Only $4.68" he said
cheerfully.

I stood there stupefied. I am 56, not even 60 yet? A mere child!
Senior citizen?

If it will make you feel any better, most businesses give senior
discounts to any customer 50 or older (and you are eligible for AARP
membership at age 55).

LOL it was a joke Evelyn ;-)

I am not 50 yet

Once a girl at a Shoney's gave me an unasked-for senior discount when I
was not yet 50. I didn't think I looked THAT bad. These days I can get
the discount for real.

Bud

I am almost 53, and am occasionally given a senior discount, probably
because I have graying hair and use a cane because of bad knees. I don't
falsify my age, but, if I am not asked my age, I don't see a need to
volunteer it, particularly if the business in question doesn't have a
sign specifying how old one has to be to receive a senior discount.

--
John F. Eldredge --
"Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly
Old September 5th 10, 05:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Well, since I can relate to the content, I found it funny and figured it was
a joke as I knew hw wouldn't be eating that sort of crap right now. Has
come too far to lose out to a burrito or taco.
"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com...

m...

jmcquown wrote:
"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com...

Old September 5th 10, 09:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

"Matthew" wrote
"cshenk" wrote

I am sorry Lori you are misinformed about the surgery. I have posted
what a

I think she was in the hospital about when all that came up?

Just point out that she is misiformed about the lap band surgery ;-)

She probably saw it by now. Giganews is being slow so not seeing my own
outbound.

Cshenk has been posting recipes for me and for the group to enjoy.
Which a big thank you goes out to me to her every day.

I have not broke my diet so far and I WON'T. Since 2 weeks before the
surgery. I have lost 32 pounds probably more since I am only doing
weigh-ins at the Doctor's office.

Hehe I have series 3 as well but it's best to wait for that until *you*
tell us it's time. They are based on things you can then eat but also
cook a reasonable meal then eat smaller portions in either chilled or
nuked back to warm it if you want. All are 'calorie smart' and
'nutrition smart' meaning they are tasty but not junk food by anyone's
definition.

9/7 I go for a nuclear upper GI
9/14 I go to for my first adjustment and should be on a normal solid food
diet of course in the portions I have listed before
9/22 I go to my normal doctor to see if I can come off all my diabetic
medication or be put on a way lower dose. He has already cut it by 3/4

Good and yes, they'd need to cut that as the intake is less so the meds need
to go down. If not, you'll go Hypo.

By the holidays I should be back on complex carbohydrates at least in time
to enjoy a xmas dinner with the family

In moderation yes! Here's a trick from another friend who had to make a
radical diet shift a bit like yours. He took to using just the coffee/tea
saucers for his dinner plate. For him, the eyeball appeal of a 'full plate'
helped a *lot*. He actually got a bunch of the itty bitty 'finger bowls'
from a local asian place that looked pretty and were just right for 2 TB or
so of something and used those about his 'dinner plate' (small saucer). He
said all that white space was depressing and this fixed it. Maybe worth a
try?

Great on the loss! I bet you feel a bit better already. I see pureed
fruit didnt work too hot. Last of the cherry season is here. Grab some
and tuck them in a freezer in ziplocks. They are low GI and won't cause
'dumping'. Pit them and put 6 or so in a blender with 1 cup water and 3
cubes ice. A tastey cool drink that's a bit icy and fruity. A good one
for when your tounge is going 'feed me, touch me, gimme what I want to
me' that will not toss the diet off. Vitamin C to an extent and some
vital minerals as well. Tartly fruity.

Thanks

I have found when I am hungry I go grab some pickles ( no sugar ) or
other vegetables with out starch. I have found that the pickles with no
sugar are no calories less than a gram of carbs and low sodium. They
fill you up.

Here's another then in that line if you can have it. Black olives (oil ones
not as good for the diet but brined work as you won't get much sodium).
Like pickles and kimchee, these are 'free foods'. If you have a
mini-crockpot (often used for Potpurri) then soak 2 whole unpeeled garlic
heads in water and tuck them in there with 1 ts water. Free flavor
enhancer. Squeeze one clove over a black olive. 'Free foodie food'.

Kimchee may not be good just now but if you make your own and adjust to how
hot you want it, it's a 'free food' as well. You just need to use
nappa/chinese cabbage and avoid the ribs for now or chew up really fine.

The hunger craving suck but I know I can do it. I quite drinking ,
caffeine and smoking. I can do this I keep thinking in my head over and
over. I

You can. The hard time is now. It does and will get easier. I have faith
in you my friend. Sure you'll goof once or twice but overall, you are going
to make it. Your body is trying to tell you it is starving because it is
getting smaller, a natural reaction.

came this far and I don't want to go back. I was with a friend last
night. He was hungry and stopped at McDonalds. I said nothing for me.
The smell actually turned my stomach. I thought I was going to loose my
dinner right there.

;-) Even the salad dressings there are bad. You may be experiencing a
common thing of a radical diet shift. Fat intolerance. It eases up but now
is the time to let it just be that way as your Doc recommends. McD's foods
smell nasty to the person who has been fat reduced diet. It's something you
don't notice when on a higher fat diet.

The puree and yogurt is making me sick to eat now. For Vegetables I am
basically eating diced tomatoes. Fruits I am doing bananas, apples and a
few other types since I can mush them done instead of puree

That works!

I have been lucky I added some of those chewable gummy fiber tablets to my
diet. The dumping syndrome is gone to the most point YEAH. Have it
happen a couple times but I think the chicken was under cooked a tad or
it was the mayo.

Mayo more likely the cause I imagine. Fats are funny that way. Once you
build a tolerance then remove it from the diet quickly, it acts like that.

Here's another. The 'sugar-free' (sugar replacement diabetic stuff so
tastes sweet) koolaide made in an icecube tray with sticks if you don't have
a kiddie popsicle maker. You can also freeze the sugar free puddings in
those for a nice small treat though they arent 'free' like the koolaide
sorts are. The sugar free puddings taste nasty fresh but frozen they are
actually pretty good popsicles. 2 TB makes a serving for now.

Old September 6th 10, 01:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"cshenk" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah the idiots in the hospital tried to make me crash. Boith my doctors
orders were that I could have my medications as normal. This was in the
chart on what I took. I woke up in the early morning to a nurse trying to
put insulin into my IV. I about took her head off. I said I am on diabetic
medication are you trying to crash me. She said the floor doctor ordered
it. I told her get him in here. Well lets just say that I made him feel a
inch high and his dead relatives for 100 years past could feel his
stupidity. That was the only real problem I had there was another doctor
trying to play who has the bigger set. I was setting at 109 with out my
night time medication yet and 2 hours after I ate I was 160 with no
medication. When this idiot tried that stuff later that night. With
medication I was sitting at 91. Very good numbers for me

By the holidays I should be back on complex carbohydrates at least in
time to enjoy a xmas dinner with the family

In moderation yes! Here's a trick from another friend who had to make a
radical diet shift a bit like yours. He took to using just the coffee/tea
saucers for his dinner plate. For him, the eyeball appeal of a 'full
plate' helped a *lot*. He actually got a bunch of the itty bitty 'finger
bowls' from a local asian place that looked pretty and were just right for
2 TB or so of something and used those about his 'dinner plate' (small
saucer). He said all that white space was depressing and this fixed it.
Maybe worth a try?

Of course ;-) there will be no oh I will be a good boy tomorrow thing. I
want to be that person I was years ago before this happened

[...]

Black olives are in question for me one site says they are starchy another
site says different. I am going to have to ask the dietician to see what it
is but that sound yummy

Kimchee may not be good just now but if you make your own and adjust to
how hot you want it, it's a 'free food' as well. You just need to use
nappa/chinese cabbage and avoid the ribs for now or chew up really fine.

The hunger craving suck but I know I can do it. I quite drinking ,
caffeine and smoking. I can do this I keep thinking in my head over and
over. I

You can. The hard time is now. It does and will get easier. I have
faith in you my friend. Sure you'll goof once or twice but overall, you
are going to make it. Your body is trying to tell you it is starving
because it is getting smaller, a natural reaction.

It happens to every one you go walking you fall skin your knee well you
can never say I can't walk again

It is a challenge I told mom and my friends they can have their stuff in
front of me but just don't flaunt it. If they do I will go in the garbage

came this far and I don't want to go back. I was with a friend last
night. He was hungry and stopped at McDonalds. I said nothing for me.
The smell actually turned my stomach. I thought I was going to loose my
dinner right there.

;-) Even the salad dressings there are bad. You may be experiencing a
common thing of a radical diet shift. Fat intolerance. It eases up but
now is the time to let it just be that way as your Doc recommends. McD's
foods smell nasty to the person who has been fat reduced diet. It's
something you don't notice when on a higher fat diet.

Was never a big fan of them but when was 4 am you had been working for 24
hours. It was quick and easy if necessary. I avoided as much as possible.
I eat healthy before the surgery also but this is totally different

The puree and yogurt is making me sick to eat now. For Vegetables I am
basically eating diced tomatoes. Fruits I am doing bananas, apples and a
few other types since I can mush them done instead of puree

That works!

I have been lucky I added some of those chewable gummy fiber tablets to
my diet. The dumping syndrome is gone to the most point YEAH. Have it
happen a couple times but I think the chicken was under cooked a tad or
it was the mayo.

Mayo more likely the cause I imagine. Fats are funny that way. Once you
build a tolerance then remove it from the diet quickly, it acts like that.

I use the fat free mayo. I can tell the difference in the two by taste I
like the fat free more. I just add enough with the mustard to get it wet
which is allowed in the diet

Here's another. The 'sugar-free' (sugar replacement diabetic stuff so
tastes sweet) koolaide made in an icecube tray with sticks if you don't
have a kiddie popsicle maker. You can also freeze the sugar free puddings
in those for a nice small treat though they arent 'free' like the koolaide
sorts are. The sugar free puddings taste nasty fresh but frozen they are
actually pretty good popsicles. 2 TB makes a serving for now.

Wal-Mart has sugar free popsicles 24 and 36 count various flavors 5 calories
no sugar or sugar alcohol for like $2.00
You forgot something else that is yummy sugar free Jell-O

Old September 7th 10, 12:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

ROTFLOL!!

My first senior discount wasn't nearly as funny, but I was only 45 at the
time. I was also buying burgers and fries. The girl behind the counter
said, "You have senior citizen card?"

I said no, and she said incredulously, "You *don't* have senior citizen
card? But you older. You look. I give you senior citizen discount
anyway."

I took the discount and tried to console myself with the fact that she was
Asian, and Asians have a great respect for older people.

I've qualified for a senior discount for many years now.

Joy

"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com...
$5.37!

That's what the kid behind the counter at Taco Bell said to me. I dug
into my pocket and pulled out some lint and two dimes and something that
used to be a Jolly Rancher. Having already handed the kid a five-spot, I
started to head back out to the truck to grab some change when the kid
with the Elmo hairdo said the hardest thing anyone has ever said to me.
He said, "It's OK. I'll just give you the senior citizen discount."

I turned to see who he was talking to and then heard the sound of
change hitting the counter in front of me. "Only $4.68" he said
cheerfully.

I stood there stupefied. I am 56, not even 60 yet? A mere child! Senior
citizen?

I took my burrito and walked out to the truck wondering what was wrong
with Elmo. Was he blind? As I sat in the truck, my blood began to boil.
Old? Me?

I'll show him, I thought. I opened the door and headed back inside. I
strode to the counter, and there he was waiting with a smile.

Before I could say a word, he held up something and jingled it in front
of me, like I could be that easily distracted! What am I now? A toddler?

"Dude! Can't get too far without your car keys, eh?" I stared with
utter disdain at the keys. I began to rationalize in my mind.

"Leaving keys behind hardly makes a man elderly! It could happen to
anyone!"

I turned and headed back to the truck. I slipped the key into the
ignition, but it wouldn't turn. What now? I checked my keys and tried
another. Still nothing.

That's when I noticed the purple beads hanging from my rear view
mirror. I had no purple beads hanging from my rear view mirror.

Then, a few other objects came into focus. The car seat in the back
seat. Happy Meal toys spread all over the floorboard. A partially eaten
doughnut on the dashboard.

Faster than you can say ginkgo biloba, I flew out of the alien vehicle.

Moments later I was speeding out of the parking lot, relieved to
finally be leaving this nightmarish stop in my life. That is when I felt
it, deep in the bowels of my stomach: hunger! My stomach growled and
churned, and I reached to grab my burrito, only it was nowhere to be
found.

I swung the truck around, gathered my courage, and strode back into the
restaurant one final time. There Elmo stood, draped in youth and black
nail polish. All I could think was, "What is the world coming to?"

All I could say was, "Did I leave my food and drink in here"? At this
point I was ready to ask a Boy Scout to help me back to my vehicle,
and then go straight home and apply for Social Security benefits.

Elmo had no clue. I walked back out to the truck, and suddenly a young
lad came up and tugged on my jeans to get my attention. He was holding
up a drink and a bag. His mother explained, "I think you left this in my
truck by mistake."

I took the food and drink from the little boy and sheepishly
apologized.

She offered these kind words: "It's OK. My grandfather does stuff like
this all the time."

All of this is to explain how I got a ticket doing 85 in a 40. Yes, I
was racing some punk kid in a Toyota Prius. And no, I told the officer,
I'm not too old to be driving this fast.

As I walked in the front door, my wife met me halfway down the hall. I
handed her a bag of cold food and a $300 speeding ticket. I promptly sat
in my rocking chair and covered up my legs with a blankey.

The good news was I had successfully found my way home.

Pass this on to the other old fogies on your list.

Notice the larger type? That's for those of us who have trouble
reading.

P.S. Save the earth...... It's the only planet with Cats!!!!!

Old September 7th 10, 01:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane

If it will make you feel any better, most businesses give senior
discounts to any customer 50 or older (and you are eligible for AARP
membership at age 55).- Hide quoted text -

Actually, you can join AARP at 50, which I did. I've been getting
invitations since my 43rd birthday, though. The best part was the
junk mail I got on my 50th birthday, advertising Pre-Paid Cemetary
Plots.
That's when I felt OLD.....lol

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita